What app or service could you not live without (work or non-work)? — R Voice

What app or service could you not live without (work or non-work)?

chris leonard
chris leonard Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 36 admin

I personally couldn't imagine life without twitter. I use it to keep up-to-date with professional developments, and personal interests. It's a very pleasant experience if you curate your follow list correctly and interact with others pleasantly (I'm @hooHar if you want to follow me!)

How about you? A to-do list manager, roam, Evernote, Blinkist? Share below!

Comments

• Raj sundaram
    Raj sundaram Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭✭

Not an app. But can't live without Google scholar and Wikipedia!🤣

Service/app: Booking.com, agoda.com, Expedia

LinkedIn/researchgate are useful, but I can imagine life without it...probably that life may be happier. 🤣

And an app I can't live without is called safety tips...super useful for disasters in Japan.

Wow...as I wrote this reply...I told myself. "I'm so boring..."🤣

• Percy Mdunge
    Percy Mdunge Member Posts: 2

I'm with you about twitter @chris leonard (now following). Another app I cannot live without is my music apps (currently using apple music). For the longest time music has been very useful in helping me navigate different situations in my life from happy times to the not so happy times and also to help me focus when working.

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 9 ✭✭✭

My calendar! Okay, I know it's a boring one...but it tracks everything I do, colour codes it based on whether it's work or fun or family and even if it's joint with my husband's calendar etc. and it synchronises on all my devices. I doubt I'd know what day it was, let alone what I'm meant to be doing, without it! Great for reminders for the future and a prompt for past memory as well. Having my calendar on all my devices really helps me to feel in control, and the peace of mind knowing that adding something once will sned it everywhere reinforces that!

• chris leonard

The most organised and productive people I have met in life have everything in their calendar. Even 'relaxing' and 'family time' is scheduled. I'm never that organised - but its not something I regret really. I like the flexibility.

• Asli Telli
    Asli Telli Member Posts: 20 ✭✭✭

Podcast apps have been my favorite lately. Spotify is the most functional with the possibility to have in the background without subscriptions; at least not yet...I tend to listen a lot when doing daily activities, cooking, washing up. I think home-office/remote work facilitated that during the pandemic and seems like it will stick. I’m also feeling visual media-sick due to working in the field of media and communications for 25 years, so audio is what I yearn for including audio-books on practical issues or tacit knowledge. Did not want to go into “academic” apps since I know this would be covered by others:)

• Lidia Lins
    Lidia Lins Member Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

@chris leonard , I am really a big fan of Instagram!

• chris leonard

“Visual media-sick” - yes! - much better description than Zoom-fatigue, or screen burn. 

Do you think you would ever listen to spoken summaries of research? There is an app called Blinkist that summarises books into short text and short audiobooks. I would love to think of a service that summarises research for you and reads it in a podcast format.

• Asli Telli
    Asli Telli Member Posts: 20 ✭✭✭

Yes @chris leonard , been there with Blinkist. I should say, it is not really one of my first picks, but looks like it is helpful to the younger generation when they’d like to get a resume of a canon book, theory or emerging topic. I see the only role such an app could take on in academic setting would be audio podcasts for book promotion or a research finding that has current societal impact. I would definitely double flag such work on covid-19 related research. There is a lot of emerging research and collaboration in the field and yet it takes too much time to follow-up. Such compressed, focused content would trail perfectly in the form of an audio podcast. Probably in the making already?:))

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 111 admin
    edited April 13

2 apps for me, both non-work (just realizing this now as I type out my comment)

1. Amazon Music: I turn to music for a variety of things - to calm myself when I'm feeling stressed, to feel pumped and motivated when I workout, and most importantly, music has helped me disengage from work and my surroundings (even, if it's my own home) during the pandemic. My carefully crafted playlists on Amazon Music come to my rescue ☺️
    2. Food delivery apps: Very surprised no one mentioned this 😅 Especially during the lockdown and my WFH situation, food delivery apps have been major mood changers - sometimes you really need to eat some cake (or something else that makes you feel good) when you're feeling low and for people like me who don't know how to bake, a food delivery app is very handy! I should also probably add that I haven't set foot in a restaurant/café/outside eatery in over a year.