Hello, Please enlighten me on this puzzling scenario — R Voice

Hello, Please enlighten me on this puzzling scenario

Gayatri Ramachandran
Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

I came across this post today (screenshot attached here) of an article that is, can I say half published(?). I am coming across such a thing for the first time and do not know/understand why the publisher mentions -"Full text release has been delayed at the author's request until January 14, 2024".

I mean its very puzzling that something can be half published like this ?! And what are the plausible reasons for this. Would be grateful if those with the know-how of this scenario can please enlighten me on it with details

Best Answers

• Erin Owens
    Erin Owens Member Posts: 30 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

My best guess is that this article was written as part of a dissertation. It is common in some fields for the dissertation to be a set of articles. Sometimes they need to be accepted to journals for the dissertation to be accepted. But the author/advisors may not want them published until after the dissertation is defended. I can't say for sure, but that would be my theory.

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 341 admin
    edited February 2 Answer ✓

Thanks for the tag @Andrea Hayward. @Gayatri Ramachandran IMO, this could be a case of an embargo which some journals impose on their articles. An embargo is a period during which access to a particular academic journal or an article within a journal (in case of hybrid journals) is not allowed to users who have not paid for access. This is a way for journals to generate revenue. In case of hybrid journals, if the author can choose to publish open access provided they pay a certain amount as publication charges. However, if the author is not willing to pay this fee, the article is put under an embargo period during which it is paywalled for readers. At the end of the embargo period, the article is made available to everyone. Since the choice to publish OA is dependent on the author (yes, it remains a choice on paper, even though it may be the only choice if the author cannot afford the publication fee), the journal can, technically speaking, use the phrase "at the author's request." Though how ethical the choice of words would be if this were actually the case, is a different discussion altogether. 😄

Do you think this could be a possible explanation @Erin Owens @Praveena Ramanujam @Ruchika Yogesh @leonard waks?

Answers