Self-care is not just for Sundays! — R Voice

Self-care is not just for Sundays!

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 111 admin
edited March 11 in Self-care & Wellbeing

About a year ago, if you'd asked me what I'm doing for self-care during the week, I'd have laughed (loudly)! 😄 I was so caught up with working, travelling to and from work, and just being caught up with "the hustle," that it almost seemed like I was living only for the weekend. 😓

If I'd think of anything relaxing or remotely enjoyable during the week, I'd immediately say to myself - "I got to try this on Saturday" or "I should save this for Sunday." But this wasn't healthy at all and I ended up getting terribly exhausted during the week and was almost burning out.

After much reflection and learning from past mistakes, I now know for sure that self-care is not just for Sundays. Self-care is for anytime you think you need it most and doesn't even have to be something grand. It could be something small that fits well within your schedule. A large part of this realization was me changing my definition of self-care and really focusing on what it specifically meant to me. 😊

This is something I've started following whenever I can during the week, and would like to encourage you all to try as well. I promise that it's worth it. And most importantly, you and your wellbeing are worth it!

So, what are you doing to take care of yourself today? Pick at least one activity from the image below or come up with your own. Tell me in the comments - I'd love to hear from you!

P.S. It's perfectly fine if you don't find some of these ^ suggestions relevant or possible. I've just added them to serve as a guide on the breadth of activities that could be considered as self-care. ☺️

Image source: blessingmanifesting on IG

Comments

• Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

Spend time alone to recharge means a lot to me Andrea. I was a kind of closed personality until I was recruited by my Department to work as a Temporary Lecturer. Almost all the time I was handling my students and sometimes staff related matters and little I had a time to care about myself. I have dedicated most of weekends for tasks that were required or requested by someone to perform instead of them and recently realized that no adequate attention has been given for the betterment of my health or for uplifting myself to grow as an independent individual. Taking time to reflect on myself is so much essential for me to gain back back my energy that I have been committing to some other tasks and to focus again on redirecting my personal goals on a proper way. When we distract ourselves from others make it really easy for us focus and we no more get ourselves comparing with others; which make us ending as frustrated individuals.

• Andrea Hayward
    edited March 15

@Isurika Sevwandi I can really relate to everything you've said about being so busy and caught up with work that you seem to have little to no time to take care of yourself. When this occurred to me, the realization hit me hard and left me feeling very sour. It was a struggle to figure out how I can carve out time for something that should've been coming naturally to me i.e. taking care of myself, and the entire process was incredibly frustrating. But looking back, it was well worth the effort and I'm in a much better place right now. I'm not sure how feasible this might be for you, but making the conscious decision to not work on weekends has really helped me. It allows me to fully separate myself from work and work-related thoughts, and I'm then able to focus on other things. It was difficult at first, especially if I wasn't able to complete my "to-do list" in any given week. But I would constantly remind myself that the work will still be here next week. But if I don't take proper care of myself, I might not be here next week. 🤔

• Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

Yeah, the to do list is another separate discussion topic because I'm really good at coming up with great plans but really hard to stick inti schedules if they are created by me 😁 I usually complete my tasks with deadline induced panic mind as that feeling fuels me to discover my best potential and perform my best. I'm however great at finishing work before deadline approach but want more productivity life hacks to go along my own plans. If so, I feel that I will be more productive.

• Asli Telli
    Asli Telli Member Posts: 20 ✭✭✭

Very well said both:) Let’s just keep the to-do lists nice, short and realistic, also definitely not compare oneself to others! We need to learn to care for ourselves as academics; I feel much happier since the first day I started giving myself a foot massage:D

• Andrea Hayward

@Asli Telli wow a self-foot massage definitely sounds like something I could get on board with. Going to give it a shot this week 😃

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

Wow, i have missed a lot.

• Andrea Hayward

@Adaora Anyichie - Odis not at all! Please take your time with looking at some of the older posts. We're always happy to hear from you. So glad that you're here now! 🤗

• Andrea Hayward

@Adaora Anyichie - Odis not at all! Please take your time with looking at some of the older posts. We're always happy to hear from you. So glad that you're here now! 🤗