What would your Gold Medal be in? — R Voice

What would your Gold Medal be in?

Shruti Turner
Shruti Turner Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭

Dr Anna Kiesenhofer won an Olympic Gold Medal only a couple of days ago at the Tokyo Olympics, which got me thinking about the fact we are so much more than our qualifications/research.

So my question to you....if you were to win a Gold Medal in anything at all (outside of your work life) what would it be? It doesn't have to be sport related or anything related to the "official" Olympics. I want us to recognise and celebrate our achievements and skills outside of work because we are humans and we are amazing.

Comments

• Shruti Turner
    edited July 28

Let's get some conversation going. My challenge to the following people to answer themselves and tag someone in that they've never had a conversation with before on R Voice (I'm getting all of us I usually interact with out the way, so you have to pick someone new - I want to meet some people!): @Andrea Hayward @Kakoli Majumder @Jayashree Rajagopalan @Raj sundaram @Soumi Paul @Gustavo Arluna @Yufita Chinta @Dahlia T

• Gustavo Arluna
    Gustavo Arluna Member Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

@Shruti Turner creative question.

Well, I will break the ice. I think I could win the Gold medal of perseverance and resilience. I've always felt identified with the tortoise in The Fable of the Tortoise and the Hare, because I don't consider myself a genius in anything (maybe I didn't discovered my stronger skill yet) but I think that all that I got in my life required being perseverant maybe doing double effort as other people and being resilient to some hard (and weird) things that happened (and still happens) in my life.

As you said, we are humans and we are amazing. Let's celebrate, winners! 🥳

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 513 admin

Oh wow! @Shruti Turner I think this is the first time I've been at a loss for words on R Voice 😅

I'm going to have a long hard think for this one and come back. Looking forward to seeing what the others say though.

• Shruti Turner

Ooh, I like that one. I am sorry you have had to feel the need to develop the skills of resilience and perseverance to the level of a Gold Medal. I have no doubt your strength and ability to adapt is what has got you through those times and I must congratulate you on your medal!! I think as with all athletes, there is no easy journey, no matter how it looks on the outside!

• Shruti Turner

I think it's a super difficult question (oops!). I feel it is so easy to pick our other people and talk about their achievements/things they're good at, but doing it for ourselves is super difficult. It's something that culture and societal norms sort of train out of us from a young age.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hoping to inflate a load of egos unnecessarily from this thread, but I think it's important for us to recognise our own strengths. I did the Google "I am remarkable" workshop and it was one of the most difficult ones I've attended. We were given 5mins or so to write down as many things as possible that make us remarkable, we had to start every sentence with "I am remarkable because...". It was a really powerful exercise actually, and helped me to realise where I am special/unique or have skills.

You may have noticed, that I didn't contribute an answer myself because I had the idea for the thread but no idea about what could win me a Gold Medal! Perhaps I have cheated a little bit.

• Gustavo Arluna

Thank you @Shruti Turner !

By the way, yesterday I used your phrase "we are humans, we are amazing" with another person that needed some encouragement. I hope it doesn't have copyright 😊😁

• Shruti Turner

That fills me with so much warmth - that one is free for use. We've got to spread the support and encouragement far and wide!

• Gustavo Arluna

That's why we need more TEDx talks from you. When will be the next one?

Disclaimer: neither TEDx nor @Shruti Turner pay me for promoting them. I do not own the copyright of "we are humans we are amazing", I just share it far and wide with permission of the author. (Disclaimer is longer than the message, lol). 😂😁

• Shruti Turner

Haha - you have brought a real smile to my face! Thank you, @Gustavo Arluna . No word yet on the next TEDx talk if there even will be another one?! Got to find something inspiring to say first.

• Raj sundaram
    Raj sundaram Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭

Hehe...the discussion between the two of you, @Shruti Turner and @Gustavo Arluna 🤣

My gold medal would be in tenacity. I dont give up to a point of craziness, to a fault. Got to go through with anything through and through, giving it all. Hell or high water. 🤣 So - wrapped in perseverance, loyalty, dedication, etc., I suppose. But my tenacity can backfire. This also means I deserve a gold medal in phenomenally sucking at letting go. 😂

That...and surviving - I suppose it could be called as resilience.

"Perhaps I have cheated a little bit." Hey...not fair, @Shruti Turner .😂 We demand an answer....you deserve a gold medal in starting awesome conversations on pretty complicated subjects and pushing people to get out of their comfort zones, reckon with themselves. 🥇

Tagging @Isurika Sevwandi - we havent heard from Isurika in a while. 😊

• Gustavo Arluna

@Shruti Turner and me have this job here on making stand up comedy, lol 😂

@Raj sundaram tenacity, what a great medal! I perfectly understand the "sucking at letting go part". But I can just understand you, if you find a way for that, just let me know please 😅😁

• Andrea Hayward

Lol @Shruti Turner no I don't think you've cheated at all. But I agree that this is a super difficult question. Here I am, 3 days later and I'm as clueless as I was last week. I really tried focusing on this and thinking over the weekend and I still have no answer. I think you're right about society conditioning us so much to not blow our own trumpets, that I'm finding this incredibly difficult. Even if I come up with something, there's a voice at the back of my head telling me not to be cocky and that I still have plenty to learn. Sigh

• chris leonard
    chris leonard Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 138 admin

I'd definitely get a gold medal for Modesty. I am the best in the world at that! 💯 😄

• Shruti Turner

I find it so interesting that everyone has gone for "abstract" things, tenacity, perseverance and resistance, modesty rather than concrete skills like a sport or musical instrument or something. I didn't expect it funnily enough, but I am glad that they are all positive at least!

I do appreciate the gold medal nomination, @Raj sundaram, for threads like this! I love it.

The one in my mind I think for me (just for you @Raj sundaram and @Gustavo Arluna , so I am not cheating!) is "(over) planning" - I like to know exactly what options I have, how I could get there, and be aware and plan for all the "what ifs". Just in case... I love a good list, schedule and time plan, and of course they must be colour coded!

@Andrea Hayward It's a tough one, so I'm going to take a leaf out of Raj's book and nominate you for a Gold Medal in self-awareness and striving for personal growth of yourself and others. Sorry, it's a long winded one, so it'll be in small writing on the medal! I admire your opening on the community (and twitter) about your own feelings and also what you share to help other people open up and be reflective too.

• Raj sundaram
    edited August 2

Wow. That's A definition of being modest. 🤯 Giving oneself a gold medal for modesty is a sure shot sign of modesty. 🤣😅

@chris leonard you completely deserve a gold medal for excelling at cheekiness. 😅

(Banter...simply joking here...)

• Raj sundaram
    edited August 2

Haha. Good job @Shruti Turner at giving yourself and @Andrea Hayward a medal. I second your nomination. 🙂😊

And oooh...love planning and predicting/mitigating disasters by answering what ifs. 🏋️🥰

• Raj sundaram
    edited August 2

@Andrea Hayward . Completely relatable.

I used to be quite shy with "blowing my trumpet". Then I spent some years perpetually being confused...because it was heads I win, tails you lose in terms of promoting oneself. "If you say good things about yourself, it's wrong" in some cultures. "If you don't openly and promote yourself...to a point of being shameless, you are not putting your best foot forward, you are not confident, you will miss opportunities".

I've kind of shunned both these conditioning. Got me really tired and into a cycle of self blame.

These days, after a bit of experience I have a better estimate about my strengths and weaknesses. Which can be the same thing (like tenacity).

Also, if I don't feel confident to X extent about something, myself, my skill, I just say so with my rationale. If I feel confident to level Y, once again, I just say so with a rationale and evidence. Sometimes, it's just a gut feeling, in this case, I just say so. And it's usually a spectrum. And I try to point out both merits and demerits. Everything has at least two sides, including ourselves. 🤣

Sticking to reality, being respectfully genuine, seems to kind of work. Even if it sometimes rubs people who prefer excessive modesty or excessive confidence the wrong way. At least I'm not confused and paralyzed.

• Gustavo Arluna

@Shruti Turner yeah, welcome to our obsessive club, lol (@Raj sundaram ).

Well, if I have to choose a non abstract thing, I would choose fixing electrical and electronic things and also designing some of them. Not the best, not the worst. Again, modesty😊

• Shruti Turner
    edited August 3

Haha @Gustavo Arluna I've been in that obsessive club with you and @Raj sundaram since before you even knew me 😂 I'm so glad we can finally come together!!

@Raj sundaram Can't agree more with the things you say about blowing our own trumpet or not doing so and how it all feels contradictory. I sometimes see those research awards where you can nominate yourself and I have never brought myself to do it. Is it real if I have to nominate myself? Am I actually good enough? Am I the only one that thinks I'm good enough? What if people find out I nominated myself, won't it look bad?

I'm slowly starting to learn that if I don't fight my own corner and elevate myself, then how can I expect other people to do it? Everyone is busy with their own things, work, life etc, so I can't expect they're going to take the time to find some random person to go nominate. I've got to be my own advocate. (Still working on the implementation of this, but I am getting there on the mindset!)

• Gustavo Arluna

@Shruti Turner I would like to spend less hours in this club, lol. What about joining to the meditation club, too? 😅☺️

• Shruti Turner

Meditation is not for me. I get far too restless and dwell on all the things worrying me or about how my breathing is wrong and I feel like I'm drowning. All probably reasons meditation would be good for me, but no. Not for me, I find it too stressful ironically!

• Gustavo Arluna

@Shruti Turner Well, I get your point. It's hard to start, it's not easy for me too. I think there are other ways of meditation apart from breathing. The important thing here is finding a way for relaxing. As I am not an expert in this matter, I cannot suggest you alternatives. Maybe someone reading this can give us good alternatives.

• Andrea Hayward

OMG @Shruti Turner this is the kindest thing ever! I am so overwhelmed that I Googled images of "Celebrities crying while receiving awards" 🤣😂 My BIG plan was to post one here and make the situation funny (lol). But I won't do that because you know (copyright issues tsk tsk)

Thank you so much! 🤩 I think you're right. Looking back over the last couple of years, I've consciously tried to identify and unlearn things that don't serve me or that harm me and replace them with better ways to cope or interact with others. And it has really led to a lot of personal growth (something to reflect on during my time off, perhaps?)

P.S. I wholeheartedly accept this precious medal with small writing! 😄

• Andrea Hayward

@Raj sundaram I think this is spot on! If I had to nominate you for a gold medal it would surely be for tenacity, resilience, grit, courage, and also the ability to always clearly put into words your thoughts (this might be my perspective, but I mean it!) 😊

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner @Raj sundaram After reading both your comments on how confusing and wrong blowing your own trumpet can feel, but then it can also feel wrong to not present your strengths and put your best foot forward (see, even the sentence talking about it sounds confused lol).. anyway, my point is that I want to raise a hat/cup/key/anything I can find to:

• advocating for ourselves
    • having our own backs
    • elevating ourselves, and
    • being the person we need in our corner
  • Shruti Turner

I agree, you are totally right. I am just lazy when it comes to doing things like that for myself. I used to find exercise a form of meditation for myself...sometimes a yoga/stretch or sometimes a quick cardio session. I found that it gave my brain something to occupy it about without having to really think (plus, I liked the endorphins!) Since my physical health has got bad I haven't found an alternative. You're right, this is my nudge that I should!

• Shruti Turner

I can picture the exact GIFs you may be thinking of in my mind! No need for copyright issues here!

You totally deserve this gold medal and I hope that I can put in the time for myself, inspired by the things you share and do.

• Shruti Turner

I feel this is the start of another thread..coming soon to R Voice near you!