Greetings — R Voice

Greetings

Hello everyone, my name is Keside Iwuji, a Research scientist from Nigeria. I'm glad to be here once again

Comments

• Soumi Paul
    Soumi Paul Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the R Voice community😊

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭

Hello @KESIDE IWUJI! It's great to have you here on R Voice. What are you researching? :)

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 581 admin

Hi @KESIDE IWUJI. Welcome to the R Voice Community! It's great to have you here 😊

Like Shruti, I too am keen to learn what your current research area is. I look forward to getting to know you better!

• KESIDE IWUJI
    KESIDE IWUJI Member Posts: 14 ✭✭

Thank you for all the concern. My research area is Environmental Management/pollution control. I'm an Assistant Lecturer at the Federal University of Technology Owerri, Nigeria.

• Shruti Turner

@KESIDE IWUJI - your research sounds so interesting, and of course vitally important. I imagine there are so many different aspects to focus on. Do you have a particular part of environmental management/pollution control you are interested in? I'd love to hear more about what you do, and in particular, do you feel your work has changed over the years with the increased focus on such areas?

• KESIDE IWUJI

Yes there are different aspects of the Environment to focus on. I'm particularly interested in the Plastic Pollution. Oceans produce 50% of the planet's oxygen and are home to large part of Earth's biodiversity. However, plastic pollution is posing an existential threat to marine ecosystems. The single use of plastics should be replaced with a more sustainable recyclable material. Over the years, my work have received attention in this area.

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner you're beating me to all the questions I want to ask on this thread lol. But I'm loving that we're so in sync 😄

@KESIDE IWUJI Your research sounds very interesting indeed. I'm going to sit back and wait until you answer Shruti's questions (to which I say + 1) 😃

• Shruti Turner

@KESIDE IWUJI Thank you for sharing! It's crazy to think that plastic originally was meant to be a long-lasting resource but is now used as disposable. I try to do my best not to use single-use plastic but I find it so difficult to eliminate completely because it seems to be in everything!

Do you feel there is a realistic solution to reduce plastic waste that people will get on board with? I feel a lot of people are too attached to the convenience of single use plastic (not that I have done the research!) or am I perhaps being too pessimistic? I like to think that recycling helps, but I don't believe most of what we recycle actually gets repurposed. Besides even if it did, it takes so much energy, I feel it would be better to use less in the first place...

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this from the experience and expertise you have from your research!

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 126 ✭✭✭✭

welcome to you, @KESIDE IWUJI. Greetings from Japan.

I've been through all of the comments, especially your conversation with @Shruti Turner. Your research concern is interesting. I have a similar interest too. In my area, agriculture-environmental science, the micro-plastic pollution from a slow-release chemical fertilizer potentially pollutes underground water. It is dangerous for human and animal health when it is consumed and accumulated in the body. Unfortunately, usage of slow-release chemical fertilizer is still on the top. Not many researchers focus on this concern. Maybe because the 'dangerous' is recognized in a few number.

I do agree with @Shruti Turner's opinion that it is hard to avoid on using plastic, especially todays when the pandemic hits and we do order foods wrapped or packed using plastic. Want to know your thoughts, @KESIDE IWUJI.

• KESIDE IWUJI

Microplastics are increasingly recognized as some of the most problematic pollutants in water systems all over the world. Classified as plastic contaminants smaller than five millimeters in length, microplastics are most commonly known in the form of microbeads, or tiny plastic particles manufactured for use in health products, such as exfoliants and toothpaste, or as abrasives in some cleaning products. However, microplastics come from a wide variety of sources, as larger plastic products break down while passing through waterways and the ocean. Aquatic life and birds unable to distinguish microplastics from food will eat them, leading to problems of bioaccumulation in themselves and as they pass up the food chain. Although the use of microbeads in personal care products was banned in 2015, microplastics will continue to be a problem for many years to come, and there is much we have to yet learn about their impact on the environment.

• KESIDE IWUJI

I'm interested in the study, the composition and abundance of microplastics and their sources, their transport/fate throughout the waterways, and their impact on the aquatic environment and life forms.

• KESIDE IWUJI
    edited July 8

Unless all sectors are able to work together to eliminate unnecessary and problematic plastic, shift to reuse models, radically increase recycling levels and stop the leakages in the current system, plastic will continue to pollute ecosystems and result in significant ecological, social, and economic harm. Addressing the global plastic pollution crisis requires a concerted approach to create a circular economy for plastic.

• KESIDE IWUJI

With growing scientific evidence of the environmental and social impacts of plastic pollution, public interest in the topic has spiked in recent years: Google trend news searches for plastic have seen a dramatic increase across markets, with a clear inflection point in 2017. Plastic is now viewed as the most negative material used for consumer goods items, with 65% of global consumers associating it with ocean pollution and 57% deeming it harmful. Plastic pollution comes second only to climate change in global surveys of the most pressing environmental concerns.

• Andrea Hayward

@KESIDE IWUJI I have just been through all the comments. I mirror everyone else's thoughts in saying that your area of research is both interesting and much needed. I have watched several disturbing videos of sea life either being trapped in plastic waste, being hurt by it, or getting sick (or worse) because of ingesting it. And for someone like me, who isn't directly involved in the kind of work you're doing, it can lead to a feeling of helplessness (although I understand this is not true). So I really appreciate the work you're doing!

Like the others have mentioned I try to limit my use of plastic goods wherever possible but this is extremely difficult since it's everywhere and in everything. Also, finding alternatives can be very tedious especially when the available options are either too difficult to access, require a lot of effort, or are considerably more expensive. I guess we all have much to learn here and things will only start getting better once we've developed a collective conscience around this issue.

• KESIDE IWUJI

I quite agree with you @Andrea Hayward. We all have a role to play by ensuring we sensitize as many people we can reach to limit the use of plastics no matter how convenient the use can be. Public awareness will go a long way. It's actually a gradual process which I believe we will get there soon.

• Shruti Turner

Thank you for the detailed responses @KESIDE IWUJI - I think I can safely say those of us in this thread are all on the same page about how harmful plastic is to the environment and the personal steps we can take to reduce the burden on our planet.

It makes me said that really we as a population know exactly what it is (in many ways) that we need to do to do better for our environment, yet it's something that seems to be a struggle to convince people to do. Personally, I feel the emotional pull when I think about the effects I am having on the planet, and the guilt of not doing enough As @Andrea Hayward points out, there are many reasons alternatives aren't feasible in everyday life, but I do agree that wide awareness and education, along with a united effort to move things forward is the answer.

Do you feel like we (the whole population) are likely to "get there" before it's too late?

• KESIDE IWUJI

@Shruti Turner the best time to act is now, there is no more time. The more we enlighten the masses the better for the whole planet. It has been estimated by the UNEP, that by the year 2050 we might be having more plastics than fishes. This calls for an urgent attention all over the world. If we take it upon ourselves to talk to people each day about this type of pollution, I believe our patterns of consumption will change positively. Thank you

• Shruti Turner

Fingers crossed that the hard work of the minority can have a big impact! Thank you for sharing your views and expertise with us @KESIDE IWUJI

• KESIDE IWUJI

You are welcome@Shruti Turner

• Andrea Hayward

"The best time to act is now, there is no more time." - @KESIDE IWUJI I really felt the weight and seriousness of these words. And I'm glad it did. In my own experience, I've found that people tend to get very uncomfortable and almost defensive when the topic of doing better for the environment comes up. There also seems to be some level of shrugging off responsibility stemming from a "I'm just one person. How much can I do? Why should I care if the others don't? attitude. When in fact, we should be listening and learning and understanding the gravity of the situation.

I'm glad we're talking about these issues here on R Voice. Thank you for leading this conversation Keside! And also for sharing your insights with us. 🙂

• KESIDE IWUJI

I'm glad I did@Andrea Hayward