A little advice that might help us all sleep better

A little advice that might help us all sleep better

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 74 admin

Last Friday (March 19) was World Sleep Day - Shoutout to @Isurika Sevwandi for bringing this to our attention! 😊

In honor of this annual event, here's a little something that I thought would be useful for us all - Tips to sleep well. Now, as someone who used to roll her eyes at advice like this and consider it cliché, I fully understand that not all of these tips would seem feasible and you might not relate to all of them. Some of them might even seem unthinkable. Eg. No caffeine after 2 pm. Unlikely, I know!

But after deeper reflection and even experimenting with some of these, I've found them to be very useful in getting a full and good night's sleep. The ones that have worked wonders for me in particular -

• Don't watch the clock: I'd constantly do this earlier, and then crib all day about getting only x hours of sleep. I was very specific, down to the last minute. Now that I've stopped doing this, I've seen a change in how rested and refreshed I feel every morning, regardless of when I exactly fell asleep.
  • Put your phone on silent and out of reach: This really helps because I'm no longer tempted to enter an endless loop of scrolling on social media if I'm not getting sleep.

I'd encourage you to try at least one of these and see if it works. Also, if you have other advice on things that help you sleep better, do share them in the comments! 🙂

P.S. Tips aside, let's just try to cut ourselves some slack and allow ourselves that extra hour of sleep we know we need not just on World Sleep Day, but every day 😴

Image source: Lauraheartlines | Instagtram

Comments

• Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 34 ✭✭✭

I really appreciate this discussion and the tips shared here. I hope a lot of people will be benefited from the. Frankly speaking, I'm proud that I could disciplinary shape me in a way that I no longer touch my phone once I completed setting my alarm; which is the last compulsory task of my routine before sleep. It's not silent because I might get urgent calls sometimes from my close family members. Yet, I don't get much calls after 11 p.m.

Stop using screens 1 hour before sleep will definitely help us to switch into the sleep mode from normal working mode and easily fall into much needed sleep at the end of the day.

Having a regular waking and sleeping time also helps a lot. I practiced this during schooling and university days but I no longer practice it because my schedules are diverse so cannot strictly adhere to a regular schedule. As mentioned by Andrea, all the tips might not fit with us but we can effortlessly find at least ond tip for our own wellbeing, that we often neglect or take for granted.

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 74 admin

@Isurika Sevwandi wow I'm sure that takes a lot of discipline and being strict with yourself. But I can surely see how staying away from your phone as soon as your alarm is set can help. Now if I can just get myself to stop being so intrigued by new releases on Netflix, I might be able to try this as well lol 😄😅