Remind the people around you that they're doing a great job! — R Voice

Remind the people around you that they're doing a great job!

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 82 admin
edited March 19 in Self-care & Wellbeing

We can never know who around us (either at work or at home) is feeling taken for granted. It might not be your intention to make them feel this way, but it could still be happening. I'm sure none of us are strangers to this feeling and well, it doesn't feel great. Nope, not one bit. 😐️

So what can we do? We can start by reminding the people around us, from time to time, that they're doing a great job. Acknowledge their sustained efforts and the passion with which they give their best every day. Don't worry about sounding repetitive! They won't know how much you value them and everything they do until you tell them. So let's be sure to remind them. Let's do better! ❤️

Try doing this, even if you think it might be too small to make a difference. Trust me, IT WILL make a world of difference 😊

Comments

• Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 34 ✭✭✭
    edited March 19

Great Andrea! This added a little smile on my face after a hectic day. Today also I came across destructive criticism that made me feel very bad and I think we definitely should frame our wording before letting it go off from our mouth. People do not value others efforts and easily criticise in a ridiculous way. On the contrary, it's great that you mentioned we should appreciate people when they are doing well and encourage them when they are doing below than their full capacity.

• Raj sundaram
    Raj sundaram Member Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Completely agree. @Andrea Hayward

Genuinely appreciating people who work with us, people in our lives - reminding that they are important, they matter...not taking them for granted - is the crux of team work, family, society and civilization. That is where ANY constructive collective action based on co-operation starts.

That and being honest/sticking to reality. The two need not be mutually exclusive.

@Isurika Sevwandi I think I said this somewhere else. Giving feedback is an art. It requires mastery by consistent practice of observing, listening and then responding (communication) as well as empathizing. Sorry to know that you ran into hostility today. Feel better soon. Cheers!

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 82 admin

@Isurika Sevwandi I am very sorry to hear about your poor experience with criticism last week, and I really hope you're feeling much better today. I agree with both you and @Raj sundaram - while sharing feedback on a piece of work, we need to be mindful that there is a person behind the work (an important fact that's often forgotten) and phrase the feedback accordingly ☺️