Article Processing Charge (APC), is it needed when the author chooses to publish as closed access? — R Voice

Article Processing Charge (APC), is it needed when the author chooses to publish as closed access?

Answers

• Krishna Dhanasekaran
    Krishna Dhanasekaran Member Posts: 10

@Kakoli Majumder need your input on this

• Mdumiseni Mdumiseni Mazula
    Mdumiseni Mdumiseni Mazula Member Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

How do you know or tell your paper is being published or not yet

• Krishna Dhanasekaran
    edited October 25

The publisher will notify the status throughout the process.

• Erin Owens
    Erin Owens Member Posts: 30 ✭✭✭

In general, an Article Processing Charge (APC) would only be charged if the author's article will be published as open access. For some journals, this is an option: an article may be published closed (i.e., subscription-only or paywalled) or may be published open-access with an APC. For other journals, all articles are open and all require an APC. (There are also some journals where all articles are open but no APCs are charged.)

Some journals may charge a fee for submission or publication that is not related to open access, but in those cases, authors should research these fees closely to understand what they are paying for and to verify that such a fee accompanies some added value or service. You want to make sure that this is not a predatory journal whose primary motive is to take authors' money, rather than to review, improve, and disseminate quality research.

I hope that helps a bit!

• Mdumiseni Mdumiseni Mazula
    Mdumiseni Mdumiseni Mazula Member Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

Thank you so much it did help indeed.

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't know before that 'subscription' or 'green access' is also called as 'closed access'. Thank you @Erin Owens for the answer.

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 341 admin

Thanks @Erin Owens for providing a comprehensive answer to the question. As Erin has mentioned, typically, open access journals have an "author-pays" model while traditional subscription based journals have a "reader-pays" model. Then, there are hybrid journals in which some articles are open access (author-pays) while others are paywalled (reader pays).

However, some paywalled journals may require authors to pay some additional fees. The most common fees charged by subscription journals are charges for color figures or for over-length articles. Some journals also have page charges. These are usually charged per item or per page as opposed to article processing charges which are usually a flat rate.

The revenue model varies across journals, and some traditional journals may charge other kinds of fees as well. In rare cases, certain other kinds of fees may also be charged by traditional journals (e.g., the Journal of Clinical Investigation) that do not provide open access. These may be used to fund editorial and peer review management, journal production, or additional services like language editing, indexing, or archiving. But as Erin has mentioned, it's important that you understand why the fee is charged and how it will be used and make sure that you're not falling prey to a predatory journal.

• Amor Castillo
    Amor Castillo Member Posts: 1

Weather

• Erin Owens
    Erin Owens Member Posts: 30 ✭✭✭

@Yufita Chinta I was mostly using "closed access" here because that was the term used in the question. In my work, I'm more familiar with the term "paywalled," but I think there are many words for it that would make sense in context.

• Charena Castro
    Charena Castro Member Posts: 2

I need somebody to help me published an article in scupos journal.Am in the culinary area.Thanks

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭✭

@Erin Owens Thank you. I learn something new then.

• Krishna Dhanasekaran

Thanks, @Erin Owens and @Kakoli Majumder for explaining the different aspects of different journals in detail.