Let's FALL into self care β€” R Voice

Let's FALL into self care

Vivien Kretz
Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

In Europe, it is almost time for autumn again. The days are getting shorter and it is time for crisp Autumn air, cardigans in candles. πŸ•―

It is the time to cosy up, but it also is the time of the new semester or academic year for many of us. And that new start brings challenges with it.

As it has kind of become my job here on R Voice πŸ˜‚, I love to do my duty and remind you all once again to take time for self-care.

So the question is: Which of the self-care reminders are you gonna apply?

Remembering how far I've come it's definitely the mindset that I want to take into my new semester.

Comments

• Vivien Kretz
    edited September 11

Drop your favourite self-care method at the moment and get us all into the well-being spirit 😊 @Gayatri Ramachandran @Andrea Hayward @Soumi Paul @Omololu FAGBADEBO @Kakoli Majumder @Jayashree Rajagopalan @Yufita Chinta @Karen Hall

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Good to see you are back with your thoughts in a travel bag@Vivien Kretz ☺️ Back with the self-care job, as you rightly put it πŸ˜‚.

Well, my self-care has been constant reminders of the lessons I've learnt this year, ever since I joined R Voice. Coincidentally the universe has been wishing me well by ensuring I focus on those multitude discussions and dimensions of mental health/self-care/self-talk we have had, by giving me opportunities to apply all of them and improve. I must say my self-care had started with ensuring a good sleep routine this year, which was accentuated by the passport services you had provided πŸ€— and @Andrea Hayward's constant boost in that direction. I miss @Shruti Turner's inputs and insights though, very much! Currently, I am getting out clutter from my mind by minimising multi-tasking, that took a toll on my mental peace last month. My plate of to-do list was overflowing which was definitely ONLY because I chose to do so. I know we have discussed in plenty about tackling multi-tasking, auto-pilot and "to-do" lists but sometimes it is all thrown to the wind. Hence, assessing and acknowledging our pitfalls helps with a rain check on many things that can actually wait.

• Vivien Kretz

Love to see your response @Gayatri Ramachandran . I find it so lovely that our voices helped you on your journey towards implementing self-care into everyday life. At the end of the day, that was the biggest goal. I join you on the quest towards better sleep and please drop any tip that you have. It is a personal journey, however, I would appreciate any sort of help. how was your sleep for tea now? Are you more satisfied?

Yes, I agree. Sometimes I also exaggerate my responsibilities on my to do list and put them for me to do earlier than I actually have to do them. I am with you there.

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 329 admin

Hey Vivien! You truly are my guardian angel when it comes to self-care and I'm sure many other R Voicers would agree with me on this. Your reminders are always so timely. Ever since July, I've been torn in all directions - with work, family, as well as social responsibilities, but just last week, I took some time out for myself and did what I love best and find therapeutic - travel. I took a week off to travel my own way with a like-minded friend and it was indeed relaxing.

I love the infographic you shared and while I do apply some of these in my life already, the top ones being drinking warm tea, eating healthy, staying connected with friends and family, and expressing my love for them. However, there are a few others which I really need to practice consciously. I'm my biggest critic, and I know that while I'm really bothered by even a small mistake that I've made, I rarely celebrate the things I've done well. So here's what I plan to do this season:

• trash negative thoughts
    • celebrate what worked well
    • and remember how far I've come

=

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭✭

I love your job @Vivien Kretz. I agree with @Kakoli Majumder that I need this right now.

I have been applying some of them without realizing that those small things impact greatly in my mental health. I will keep doing them and add more positive habits, especially the thoughts "remember how far you have come" and "consider how you're lucky".

Sharing one favorite activity I've done during this summer: I almost every week go for picnic in park with my family. Eating lunch, and then laying down under a big tree, and taking a nap sometimes. It's a hundred times better than watching movies for relaxing.

@Gayatri Ramachandran, I am a good sleeper, except when I was in the hard time during my master and PhD. Now, when everything is settled in a positive manner, I sleep as much as I want 😁. Hopefully your sleep habit works well

• Vivien Kretz

I am happy I could function as your guardian angel @Kakoli Majumder through my reminders at the right place at the right time. It is indeed easy to deprioritise self-care as we think that other things in our lives, often more practical things, have priority and that our mental health can wait.

It is so lovely that you could go on that vacation! Where did you go? Travelling on your own terms is definitely underrated, so I am happy you did exactly that 🫢

I recently realised that life is too short to give myself one more negative thought. I didn’t want to spend the rest of my days at war with myself. We all make mistakes and that’s the beauty of life. Those who apparently do not make any mistakes do you have mistakes, they just don’t want to show them in the open. It is not because they are free of mistakes. We all have them.

• Vivien Kretz

Dear @Yufita Chinta, it is such an advanced level of self-care to apply these steps without realising that you are applying them. That is the next level. Well done πŸ‘ Those picnics sound great! 🍎I agree, they are super relaxing. I wish I could do them all year round. What climate do you live in? Can you enjoy picnics all year round?

• Yufita Chinta

@Vivien Kretz, I am originally Indonesia, where picnics can be done all year round. Unfortunately, I am based in Japan, where autumn and longggggg winter distract the picnic schedule. That's why I don't want to miss the summer without picnics πŸ˜†

About the level....I even never think about that. I must celebrate it and compliment more to myself, then πŸŽ‰

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Would love to hear from you on how you manage to stay far-away from piling, accelerating and executing your to-do list in a kinda possessed fashion @Vivien Kretz. I only know of the constant-reminders mechanism of action to help with that.

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Your half-year resolutions helped me get a foot-hold and feel proud of how far I have come @Kakoli Majumder ☺️. I could relate to few accomplishments shared by R community members there which really help instil a sense of "more-power-to-me"❀️

• Gayatri Ramachandran

There you are @Yufita Chinta! Everyone has poor-sleep during their PhD. Inevitably! This is precisely why, as I am travelling through my PhD, I am grateful to have been guided by 2 souls here- Vivien and Andrea, about the importance of such a routine, mundane and forgotten biological instinct as sleep. The discussions helped immensely and here I am, a better sleeper traversing a PhD life. Proud to be a part of those few exceptions in the world of PhD students😁

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 329 admin

@Gayatri Ramachandran Like you, I too have consciously improved my sleep routine this year - and I can see a huge difference in my overall alertness and productivity. I've always been a good sleeper, and need my 7 hours of rest, but during the pandemic, I used to sleep very late and wake up late and that really affected my general health. Over the past year, I try to sleep at least by midnight and wake up early enough to do some light exercises and enjoy some me time before starting work. This has really improved my eye and skin health, and I feel fresh and energetic throughout the day.

@Yufita Chinta I'm so glad that you've given yourself positive reinforcement without even realizing it - it's great that some form self-care comes to you naturally. As @Vivien Kretz has correctly pointed out, it's an altogether different level of self-care, a more natural, instinctive version of it. I find it really inspiring and hope to be able to attain that level some day.😊

• Yufita Chinta
    edited September 15

@Gayatri Ramachandran, @Kakoli Majumder

Have you watched a movie called "The Intern"? The secretary in the movie has not had enough time to sleep and is always full on schedule. One day, she feels exhausted and emotional with all of her schedule, plus her boss who never compliments her. The intern adult man, the main character, Ben, tells the secretary that woman who sleeps less than 7 hours per day gains more weight. That's based on the research result, which means that it is (true). Surely, the fact shocks the secretary, and me who watch the movie, and maybe other ladies, including you two. So...please get some enough sleep, ladies.

I set my brain with my own wisdom: "I'd love to leave everything to get sleep. I'm not sure whether I'll hit the deadline tomorrow, but I must sleep to make sure" 😁

The 'Me Time' before starting your activity sounds great, @Kakoli Majumder. I think I'll adopt it..... yeay! dance before writing the manuscript!!! πŸ’ƒ

• Vivien Kretz

Oh, I get that, but especially autumn in Japan must be such a dream. I hope you can indulge in nice picnics, walks and apple picking. 🍎 Yes, reflexivity is the goal, so this is a milestone! 😊

• Vivien Kretz

I am definitely still struggling with this. Re-organising my to-do list and actually going to sleep satisfied even if I haven't checked everything off the list is definitely a thing I am working on every day. I am happy to learn, I just haven't found my "cure" yet.

• Vivien Kretz

I am so happy to hear about the improvement in your sleep schedule @Kakoli Majumder ! I definitely agree, waking up late affects my whole day and I try to let go of it as well. Old habits die hard, but if you could do it, it gives me motivation that I can too!

• Vivien Kretz

I LOVE that movie! It is so funny yet tells a lot about hustle culture and corporate structures and how difficult those can be. Thanks for the reminder!

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Of course @Yufita Chinta! I simply love that movie to the core! Every scene. I must have watched it a hundred times😍

Ben's retired life is inspiring and very relatable, coz I envision myself doing exactly the same thing, at his age😁

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Same here Vivien. I am being persistent about bringing a change in my levels of satisfaction. Of being able to sleep despite not checking off everything on the to-do list. Cheers to our persistence!

• Vivien Kretz

Yes! Cheers to us for being consistent despite all! 😊