Paths you have tread to become a peer-reviewer — R Voice

Paths you have tread to become a peer-reviewer

Gayatri Ramachandran
Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

An aspiring researcher, who loves to read, write and share their findings would love to peer-review as well. It is a learning process, all the way, unshackling oneself from stagnation in research. The passion to peer-review is in itself rewarding, keeping aside other rewards that might come (monetary or any other form of acknowledgement) which we have discussed on this platform, previously.

To sign up as a peer reviewer, what are the paths you have taken? How did you approach it? Which approach worked for you and incase you faced any obstacle during such initiatives how did you overcome those challenges. I am definitely excited and more than eager to listen and learn from y'all! Inviting @Shruti Turner @Erin Owens @Isurika Sevwandi @Omololu FAGBADEBO @Praveena Ramanujam @Ruchika Yogesh @Suman Mundkur @Kakoli Majumder @Jayashree Rajagopalan @Vivien Kretz @Yufita Chinta @Usama Konbr @Soumi Paul @Parul Nigam @chris leonard to share your experiences and valuable insights

Comments

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

@Gayatri Ramachandran, thanks for his post. Participating in peer-review activities is rewarding in the research community. It is a useful avenue for networking and interaction with colleagues across the globe. I did not seek avenues. When I published my first paper in 2007, barely nine years after the beginning of my career in academia, I began to receive review requests from publishers and editors. One thing I did was to ensure that I was consistent in responding to such requests and submitting my report promptly. I also availed myself of a series of peer review training opportunities.

One thing at a time😍

• Gayatri Ramachandran

What you say about punctuality and consistency makes a lot of sense. It definitely helps one stay put in the mind of editors who frequently face issues with delayed review submissions. Thank you for your insights@Omololu FAGBADEBO!. Regarding training, is it essential to take such courses? If so, it would be really interesting to know how. Isn't the experience of reviewing enough to further your chances of reviewing?

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

@Gayatri Ramachandran, with regards to the training, publishers do organize such from time to time for capacity building. It is not a yardstick for review but provides additional insights, especially an understanding of publishers' in-house editorial policies. The quality of your reports furthers your chances f reviewing and even being appointed as a member of the Editorial Board, where you have the opportunity of becoming an associate editor.

One thing at a time😍

• Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Gayatri Ramachandran and thank you for inviting me to write about peer-review; something quite pressing at first but enlightening once done. Being a novice researcher in this community, I have only a few events where I worked as a peer reviewer at the institution level but I'd love to share my story.

My MA guided-project supervisor has given me plenty of opportunities to review articles and he was officially appointed as a peer reviewer for conferences, just to offer me a chance of understanding "peer reviewing experience and the process". I am really thankful to him for giving me that opportunity trusting that I would one day be rewarded for that opportunity. I remember he once said, "even if you could point me out a few grammar mistakes, vocabulary advancements, inappropriate usage of technical terms/ jargon or sentences that lack clarity, that is enough". He took the time to remove all the official credentials of those documents just to offer me the chance to look into them and understand the research paper writing art and have a glimpse into peer reviewing culture. I am glad that I had that early opportunity so I could contribute as an unofficial peer reviewer for the National Geography Conference where I worked as an editorial assistant.

As mentioned by @Omololu FAGBADEBO learning persistently on how to become an accountable, responsible, resilient and effective peer-reviewer is never a waste of time as technology improves day by day and new fields of study emerge with a massive amount of research done and papers are to be published in each millisecond. So to keep up with the pace, it is essential to attend webinars and listen to experts in the field and listen to their insights and learning with decades of working experience at publishing houses.

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Thank you so much for making this conversation enriching@Omololu FAGBADEBO! I see a point in what you have mentioned about attending training courses/workshops. Will keep that in mind henceforth.

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Thanks a lot for taking the time to detail your experiences @Isurika Sevwandi. Appreciate that. Nice to know you had such supportive supervisors throughout your graduation. Really heartening😍. Reminded of your Women's day post this year☺️

What you have said is true. Every training/workshop/seminar comes with its own learning, however little it might seem to be. For a mind that is open to learn, the sky is the limit, and there is no small or big learning. We never know when it might save us. Thanks a ton to @Omololu FAGBADEBO and @Isurika Sevwandi for giving me enough motivation🤗 to attend training courses while all along I had been of the assumption that mentoring from my supervisor and other mentors in the field would be sufficient to keep the learning graph climb higher.

• Soumi Paul
    Soumi Paul Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭✭

@Gayatri Ramachandran, I have not yet signed as a peer-reviewer and have no idea that this position could be paid. Thereby, I would like to know more about it.

Communication is the key to thriving! 😊

• Gayatri Ramachandran

So this post/discussion was useful for me and yourself at the same time @Soumi Paul☺️. Glad it is helping you as well and hopefully we get more responses to this post, with further guidance.

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 283 ✭✭✭
    edited August 5

I join @Soumi Paul . I did not know there was such an option as I only peer-review during my Bachelor’s activities. I find it very intriguing. Thank you for explaining it so well @Omololu FAGBADEBO and for starting this interesting thread @Gayatri Ramachandran