How to sustain your energy for a week β€” R Voice

How to sustain your energy for a week

Yufita Chinta
Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭

Here is Monday again.

I remember @Jayashree Rajagopalan and her husband creating the term "happy mondolences" for grieving Monday πŸ˜‚. Here, I pull it up again. Happy mondolences, all 😁

Do you feel stressed when you are entering Monday? Get your energy already drained away? And think why today is not Friday? If yes, we are in the same group. Now, could you share what you do to tackle the feelings and what you do to sustain your energy for the four days forward?

Comments

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

The first time I heard of Jayashree's mondolences it did come across as a lovely word, dictionary worthy to me@Yufita Chinta πŸ˜‚

What I do to keep my energy going is to never look forward to weekends nor dread over mondolences. Rather I just wakeup reminding myself of "today's to-do list" on a professional and personal front while also reminding myself that I can let go of one or two from this while I can also add to this list if all goes well. Hence a Monday can be Sunday or a Saturday can be a Wednesday for me, anytime of the year. As a researcher in life sciences executing daily lab experiments that decide the course of my life and daily routine, I'm happy to live this way with no expectations on any day of the week😁. Guess thats what keeps the wheels turning until I start getting indications from my health front that I need a low energy week which can start on a Wednesday as well for me and end by next Tuesday, perhaps

• Yufita Chinta

@Gayatri Ramachandran I have never heard about this before: "Hence a Monday can be Sunday or a Saturday can be a Wednesday for me, anytime of the year." and "no expectations on any day of the week". If your wheels start turning on Wed and end on Tue, when is your off-day(s)?

The mondolence is absolutely brilliant, resonant, and cute for me too.

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Hey @Yufita Chinta. I'm glad it stirred your curiosity☺️. What I shared is something I feel we all do as researchers, but maybe haven't noticed it much? I wont need a day off on a "low energy" week since I wouldn't stress myself nor push boundaries like I might do on other days. On low energy weeks I mostly spend less time in lab or working on my laptop at home while I spend time reading a book or gardening or simply watching a movie with family. Hence I'm working at a slow pace every day, balanced work-life plus relaxation. I feel that works best for me. Did I get my strategy across clearly?

• Mohammed Abukari
    Mohammed Abukari Member Posts: 2 ✭

I have never heard that before and your update is well noted

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 941 admin

Great question @Yufita Chinta! And Mondolences to you as well πŸ˜„

First, I want to start by assuring you that you're not alone. I too (and I'm sure others here as well) feel drained and demotivated sometimes on Mondays. 2 things that really help me are 1) Taking it one hour at a a time and one day at a time in the week. As difficult as it is, I try not to get ahead of myself and time by thinking about all the tasks I have to accomplish by the end of the week. I focus on what I need to do by the end of that specific hour and move ahead from there. It really helps me to stay focused and not feel too much pressure.

2) I try to be aware of my "energy givers" and "energy takers". I feel like we all have these and just yesterday, I started a conversation about this on Twitter. Energy givers could be anything that make me feel uplifted, energetic, happy, and motivated. It could be an interaction, a person, a specific meal, time with my cat, music etc. I try and stay close to my energy givers on Mondays and keep a fair distance from energy drainers or takers. This could be anything that makes me feel stressed, low, annoyed, frustrated, etc. For instance, a long meeting on Monday would completely drain me.

Maybe you should do a self exercise to identify your own energy givers and takers? πŸ™‚

• Yufita Chinta

@Gayatri Ramachandran, crystal clear. That sounds like a great idea to have a low-energy week and balanced work-life plus relaxation on it. Thank you for sharing the strategy. I think I can try the strategy sometimes.

@Mohammed Abukari, do you point out the sharing of Gayatri? If so, I do agree that her sharing is excellent.

@Andrea Hayward, the two tips are excellent. When I am in a rush, I prioritize the important things in their order. This has trained me to focus on some specific tasks. I think focusing on the specific tasks needed to accomplish by the end of the week is applicable.

I remember @Lidia Lins shared about "energy giver" and "energy taker" in her webinar. I focus on 'person' as the subject but never realize that the 'tasks' and 'things' around me can be the subject too. Thank you for opening up this new perspective, Andrea. I'll start the self-exercise soon.

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 941 admin
    edited July 27

@Yufita Chinta So glad you remember Lidia's session. That's precisely where I learnt about energy givers and energy takers. ☺️

I started thinking about it deeply and realized that I can apply it almost everywhere. It's been a game changer for me in terms of my mood and how I'm feeling while working.

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Happy to know that my thoughts did come across clearly @Yufita Chinta. Hope it helps you well😊

• Yufita Chinta

thank you @Andrea Hayward and @Gayatri Ramachandran

I am ready for the game changer and low-energy week πŸ’ƒ