How do you celebrate when you meet your writing goals for the day/week? β€” R Voice

How do you celebrate when you meet your writing goals for the day/week?

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 941 admin

Hi everyone. Happy Monday! I hope you're having a great start to this week 😊

Over the weekend, I came across a very fun tweet about writing goals and I wanted to share it with you. This person (Dr. Sharon) had just met a big writing goal and so she was celebrating this success with some celebratory ice cream cake! πŸ˜ƒπŸ° It looks delicious and I'm sure it made meeting the writing goal even more special.

This got me thinking...We're all usually great at setting writing goals. And I'm sure you'd agree that we're even better at giving ourselves a hard time when we don't meet those goals. But do we really celebrate the times when we do put in the work and meet our writing goals? If we haven't been doing this, I think we should start.

So tell me, how do you celebrate meeting your writing goals? And if you don't how do you plan to start celebrating? Can't wait to see what you all come up with! 🀩

Comments

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Why do you make me go all "yummmyyy" on a Monday sending such extra delicious posts @Andrea Hayward πŸ˜‚

Thats a lovely way to motivate one-self. I have never kept my writing goals, ever! If at all I did, they were hardly for an hour during the SU&W sessions which Im sure doesn't call for any celebration! That would be "ridikkulus"(only a HP fan would get this πŸ˜‰). What a message have you received as the first reply to such a motivational post, that too, on a Monday πŸ˜‚.

On a serious note, if I did keep my writing goals at least for 2 weeks consecutively, I would go on a long drive that weekend with family!😍 (no matter how the weather is)

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday (Monday) was a national holiday for celebrating ocean day. Three perfect holidays from Sat-Mon, since I had completed my draft on Friday 😁 I celebrate it by "no PC touch days". I 100% did not touch my PC, even my bag, and focused on laying my body down πŸ˜‚

Talking about 'celebration', I do it daily, even hourly, I think. I set the alarm for an hour to focus on the job, then take a 5-10 min break. I celebrate what I did last an hour by many things, like taking a walk outside, watering mini tomato plants I have in my room, doing games (I am crazy about the games recently), or even a simple celebration by closing my eyes-deep breathing-smiling. For me, a celebration does not have to be something big. But, I think a big celebration such as having a piece of cake needs to be set at the end of my day πŸ˜‹. As @Gayatri Ramachandran mentioned...the cake looks so yummy....🀀

• Andrea Hayward

@Gayatri Ramachandran haha maybe this is my way of shooing away those Monday blues πŸ˜‹

I don't think your response is negative at all. In fact, it's honest and that's always good. I disagree with you and I feel like you might want to consider changing how to view your writing goals. Sticking to a writing goal for the 1-hour duration of SU&W is definitely a success or as I like to call them - a pocket of progress. If not celebration (a heavy word), it surely deserves positive acknowledgment and a self-pat on the back. Because you did achieve it!

Also, maybe instead of looking at weekly goals, you want to instead set daily goals and work towards that? They could be smaller goals but I think these would help to build you up and create a habit for those larger a goals. What do you think?

P.S. A long drive with your family sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate. Hoping you get to do this soon! :)

• Andrea Hayward

@Yufita Chinta Wow! A national holiday to celebrate Ocean Day. Now that's admirable 🀩

Who doesn't love an extended weekend, especially when to get to skip Monday, right? Glad you got this extended break. More time to celebrate completing your draft (yay!). And I love how you chose to celebrate meeting your writing goal. Ignoring your PC sounds like a great way to get some distance from work and rest both your mind and body. I'm going to save this idea for when I need it. Thanks! πŸ˜ƒ

No jokes here but I feel like you're living in the future when it comes to understanding celebrating little pockets of success/progress. You're truly making time daily to acknowledge the time and effort you're putting into work and that's amazing. I think we could all learn something from this practice. We often delay enjoyment or celebration for the weekend or "planned free time". But then we're too tired to do anything when we actually reach this free time. Love this approach of smaller, more frequent celebrations. I'm sure it makes life a lot fuller and valuable. I always learn so much from you @Yufita Chinta! We're blessed to have your voice and presence in this community. Only you can take a conversation on writing goals and transform it into a learning about life πŸ€—β€οΈ

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭

owww.....you make me smile again and again with your responses to my comment @Andrea Hayward It makes my Friday much happier πŸ’–

Shall we celebrate the good things and hard work we've done today? πŸ’ƒ

• Andrea Hayward

@Yufita Chinta oh no I missed this comment. YES, let's celebrate all the great things we've done and all the hard work we've put in today! 😍

• Gayatri Ramachandran

"Setting daily writing goals" is something that I'm really venturing towards. Since writing is like meditation it is so important for me to feel that love for writing from within-I have to write now. Otherwise it is just a chore to be done with. I am hardly getting any motivation this week. I am scheduling SU&W everyday for myself but even an hour seems difficult simply coz I am in no mood to write. But how will such laziness ever work! Even now as I write this, there is hardly any motivation I am getting to start. I just wish I could dictate the whole thing and someone would scribe it for meπŸ˜‚

• Andrea Hayward

@Gayatri Ramachandran I don't think laziness has anything to do with this. Writing is a creative process and it's normal to feel extreme pressure to produce a good piece of writing in a short time frame. If you don't mind sharing, what kind of writing goals are you setting currently? Is it x number of words/paragraphs in x number of hours? Or is it more on the lines of completing a certain section in a specific time period? For low motivation days, I think a goal that covers a set number of words would help or even if it's just 2-3 paragraphs.

Now, coming to your wish, I'm going to play genie ο»ΏπŸ˜„ο»Ώ Have you tried speech-to-text dictation in Microsoft Word? I haven't used it myself but I hear it's very effective and largely accurate. Take a look at this video to learn more :)

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Damn! Thats a very useful tip you've given me @Andrea Hayward ! - "I think a goal that covers a set number of words would help or even if it's just 2-3 paragraphs." I had never thought of it this way! I set goals for an hour of SU&W as a particular number of publications that I should cover and incorporate in my writing, but never as the number of words. I think that will be really helpful.I'm already feeling motivated. Yaayyy🀩. What would be the least number of words you would suggest for a procrastinator and slow writer like me, for an hour of dedicated reading and writing ? I shall keep you posted on my improvement, so I get my weekly pockets of motivation through you Andrea 😁.

Yes Ive tried the MS Word dictate tool however since mine is more of scientific writing it doesn't help much .Initially I doubted whether it was something to do with my pronunciation and the Indian accent of english which the AI couldn't catch. I tried making it translate from audios of British/American accent and thats when I understood the issue was not with the accent but with scientific word catch. I guess you could pass this information to the relevant CACTUS product development team that could integrate some tool like Paperpal that might be useful with dictation of scientific terminologies as well (or does something like that already exist with CACTUS that I am not aware of?)

This apart, during SU&W session yesterday, @Kakoli Majumder mentioned about updating the spreadsheet for self-accountability of any writing sprints we might undertake during any time of the week. I think I will be self-accountable and motivated at least for that sake☺️

• Juan Carlos Torres-GalvΓ‘n
    Juan Carlos Torres-GalvÑn Member Posts: 15 ✭✭

I have to recognize that I'm a very simple person... a beer and chips looks like a great option for this

• Andrea Hayward

@Juan Carlos Torres-GalvΓ‘n haha I am on your team here. But beer and chips are my go-to to unwind on a weekend, rather than celebrating a goal. I do some intense cleaning around my home on Saturday. So when I'm done with that, I treat myself to a beer and some delicious food (usually junk food) that I don't allow myself to eat during the week πŸ˜…