What kind of changes can an author make to a manuscript that has been accepted by the journal? — R Voice

What kind of changes can an author make to a manuscript that has been accepted by the journal?

Kakoli Majumder
Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 341 admin
edited July 15 in Publication Support

A paper undergoes considerable changes from submission to publication. Changes have to be made at the review stage and sometimes even once the paper has been accepted, we feel the need to make certain changes. But what kind of changes can you make to your paper after acceptance? Is it only changes at the language level or at content level as well? Sometimes, a colleague or collaborator might have helped you considerably during the review stage and you might want to acknowledge them or add them as an author as an afterthought. Can you add a new co-author after your paper has been accepted?

Check out this Q&A to find out what kind of changes to a manuscript you can make post acceptance:

Have you ever made changes to an accepted paper? What kind of changes were they? Did your journal editor approve of the changes? We'd love to know.

Answers

• Soumi Paul
    Soumi Paul Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭✭

After acceptance of a manuscript for publication, the journal sends a pre-published version. There you check if the write-up from a grammatical or scientific terminology point of view is correct or not. You go through every word, highlight the mistakes, provide answers to the editorial questions raised as comments, etc. I supposed no people change any manuscript content after acceptance. All those additions/deletions (if) happen are supposed to take place during revisions.

Communication is the key to thriving! 😊

• Soumi Paul

Also, I have changed the affiliations of the co-authors. Not the addition of a co-author yet. During revisions, I had a brief question concerning the subject that I asked for clarification. So, I have acknowledged the respective person who helped me in clarification. 

• Kakoli Majumder

This was really helpful @Soumi Paul! I have always felt that only language and grammatical errors could be fixed at the production stage, when the manuscript is sent back to the author for proofreading, I agree with you that changes at the content level are usually not done at this stage. It's helpful to learn though that you have changed author affiliations and made an addition to the acknowledgements section at this stage. Curious, did you need to seek the permission of the editor for making these changes?

• Kakoli Majumder
  • Soumi Paul

@Kakoli Majumder, the proofreading also includes checking authors' names and affiliations are correct. So one does not need to seek permission. I have updated the acknowledgment during the time of revision. However, I supposed even such change is plausible at the proofreading stage.

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

@Kakoli Majumder, it depends on the condition of the acceptance. If it is accepted with minor revision, to van read through the entire manuscript again for the minor errors or commission o commission. You can even insert fresh information to update the data.

One thing at a time😍

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

That is a good topic to discuss for a week @Kakoli Majumder. I have received and processed both major/minor revisions. Like Soumi Paul did mention, we can acknowledge anyone who aided us in the revision process, without permission from the editor concerned. You could mention that in the comments to the peer reviewers if you wish to. My revisions majorly were additional experiments to be carried out or citing enough references to justify a particular statement/perspective.

Grammatical correction and proof reading comes last, once major revisions are addressed and the peer reviewers are convinced about the rigor and statements regarding the additional experiments that were carried out. It can also be quite tough to diplomatically convey our thoughts in the comments for reviewers on a particular perspective, justifying the same, if the reviewer feels that is not what it is or feels it is unnecessary. That can be really tough sometimes. Ive learnt that tact and diplomacy from my supervisors in addressing such queries.

• Karen Hall
    Karen Hall Member Posts: 22 ✭✭

I was just looking at that topic and the video presenter said get a beta reader that is not in my major to read it and have their questions answered. if they have less than 5 questions for me than the manuscrit is relatively clear and easy to understand.