Half time! Time to reflect and gear up for the next innings — R Voice

Half time! Time to reflect and gear up for the next innings

Kakoli Majumder
Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 312 admin
edited July 13 in Everything & Anything

Remember January? When we were sharing our aspirational goals for the year? Seems like yesterday, doesn't it? But it's July already and half the year seems to have flown by in the blink of an eye!

The year started on a hopeful note, as the world took cautious baby steps towards normalcy. Uncertainty was still in the air, but six months down the line, we’re advancing more confidently and taking new virus strains in our stride, of course, with precautions wherever necessary. The pandemic has taught us the importance of self-care, the need to prioritize ourselves and our well-being. But as we move towards more face-to-face interaction, it’s time to think in a more constructive and holistic way about work, career goals, and the way forward. As we enter the second half of the year, let's take a moment to pause and reflect on what we've done over the past six months.

What were your goals at the beginning of the year and how are you faring against them so far? Let's celebrate our wins and fails - both personal and professional - and gear up for the second half of the year! 😊

P.S.: This is also the theme for this week's CoCo Time, so join us on Friday to celebrate over a cup of coffee and some amazing conversations!

Comments

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

Hi Kakoli, this is a great idea! Unlike many other years, this year I have kept a close eye on my list of aspirational goals. I mentioned that I wanted to actively fight body dysmorphia this year and that I did! I am no longer feeling naked when wearing shorts. A big step for me. 🥳

I have definitely struggled with my other propositions though- taking things at my own pace.

In April, I fell in a big hole comparing myself to everyone around me and looking at myself as less worthy. It was difficult as I felt not international and educated enough in a very multicultural and international environment. I am working on not labelling myself and others actively every day and I am learning day by day to not give people's lives different types of worths. It is difficult in hustle culture, but I am trying.

Thank you for bringing me back to this Kakoli, it really got me to reflect and you don't know how much I needed this right now! 😊

• Kakoli Majumder

Thanks @Vivien Kretz for sharing something so personal and so important to you. I'm really happy that you've been able to actively fight body dysmorphia in an age when social media constantly amplifies such issues and makes us feel inadequate. It's a huge achievement and you should definitely give yourself a real pat in the back for being able to do this and also for being brave enough to share your personal journey on R Voice. It takes a lot of courage and determination to be able to do that. You're a real rockstar Vivien!

I myself have been pretty much going through a similar struggle to overcome imposter feelings and self-doubt, and comparing myself with others. I try to keep in mind that each person's journey is different, but it's easy to lose sight of one's own accomplishments. I'm trying, but the low phases come back from time to time. But you inspire me girl! I hope, by the end of the year, I'll be able to confidently say that I've finally been able to overcome these feelings. :)

• Kakoli Majumder

@Gayatri Ramachandran @Omololu FAGBADEBO @Isurika Sevwandi @Mdumiseni Mdumiseni Mazula @Michael Matulile @Tony Nwankwo @Soumi Paul @Abdirisak Mohamed Abdillahi @Adaora Anyichie - Odis Would love to know how you're doing and how you plan to work towards your goals in the second half of the year

• Michael Matulile
    Michael Matulile Member Posts: 8

It sounds a great question but at the same time it challenges. I myself look at the projects that I submitted for my CIC: the feedbacks are due to August😱

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭

Thanks, @Kakoli Majumder , for this reminder. At times we set goals but circumstances tend to change them. nevertheless, with the tenacity of purpose, we can keep our heads up driving our goals. Its been a tough year for me but I have been able to keep track of my goals. Got 2 journal articles accepted, One co-edited book accepted, two book chapters accepted, and just submitted another manuscript for a co-edited volume. I am also preparing for the submission of another manuscript of a co-edited volume at the end of August. Presented papers at two conferences. These are the little I have been able to achieve this year.

One thing at a time😍

• Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Omololu FAGBADEBO Even though you said "These are the little I have been able to achieve this year", your post inspires me a lot by seeing how much you have committed to getting your work published and knowing how hard it is to get papers accepted, I know it is never a little effort that you have made to get things successful so far. Thanks for sharing your accomplishments as they literally inspire me a lot and I wish you all the very best for your journey ahead. Love to hear more🙂

Thanks, @Kakoli Majumder for leaving this phase to reflect back on our countable or uncountable achievements so far in the year 2022. I was thinking of this lately, and am glad that I can pen this here.

I always wanted to pursue an international Master's degree where I can immerse myself in a more multi-ethnic, multi-cultural, and multi-religious environment challenging myself and all the beliefs I am holding into. Being a very introverted kid from my childhood, I rarely approach people and built connections with them as I have trust issues and do not open up easily in front of people, which I definitely wanted to improve this year as I feel having a community where you can tap into is something precious to have and is a part of self-help. This encouraged me to apply for a few prestigious scholarships and now I've been accepted to one (I'll share my story later on this platform if things get done on time 🤩). I think I am truly blessed on that front and as a novice academic, this is a huge leap for me.

However, the circumstances of the country are so much more challenging and the existing political dilemmas blur everything I am literally overwhelmed right now. I am more focused on myself right now, which is a pledge that was made at the beginning of this year, that I would focus on myself, self-indulgence, and self-growth and won't focus on how others will judge me. Happy to that, I've been considerably successful in that aspect as well and I am strong enough to say "no" to things that would drag the focus away from me. Given the hard times, I am aspiring to turn in a new chapter in my life so please keep me in your prayers and blessings. I'll keep you posted on whatever happens.

• Tony Nwankwo
    Tony Nwankwo Member Posts: 17 ✭✭

Hi @Kakoli Majumder.

I would say that between 2019 and 2021, I had a severe issue with "procrastination" regarding my thesis. In fact, I'm always saying there is time. I will start the proper writing later in the evening. When it gets to evening, I would say again, let me leave it till tomorrow. Just like that, it kept advancing to weeks, months, and even years. This was happening at a time when I reviewed a lot of works of literature and made relevant notes as well. Perhaps it may be that I was feeling like I knew what to write after having reviewed several works of literature, or maybe I was thinking that academic writing was as easy as writing A,B,C,D...

At a point, I brought the issue here on R voice and everyone's contribution made a positive impact.

However, I made a bold decision sometime last year to deal with this chronic procrastination with a view to defending my proposal early this year (2022).

One important measure I took was to prioritize my goals accordingly and set certain boundaries in all areas of concern. This really helped me a lot, as I was able to achieve my proposal defense by February this year and have progressed significantly on my work while awaiting the next defense. More importantly, the boundaries I set made me realize the importance of self-care.

In a bid to please others, we give others the attention that our own very self is longing for, which I feel isn't healthy for ourselves.

I can confidently say that I have eliminated procrastination, which is a great achievement for me, as I have always "worked the talk" since the year began.

I have also learned how to set clear boundaries, which has really increased my happiness momentarily.

Although I have not really actualized my goals in terms of publications, I'm seriously working on that, hoping to achieve that before the year runs out.