How I heard a (ouR) Voice in my head — R Voice

How I heard a (ouR) Voice in my head

Gayatri Ramachandran
Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

The beginning of June saw me go through some tough times with respect to health, for me and my family. I had no option but to skip work and stay at home for 3 weeks (I travel to my school and lab daily, up and down from home) doing absolutely nothing but rest and care, rest and care, rest and care.

My intention in writing is not to share my depression over that infectious phase, rather, it is to share the happiness of positivity and a sense of “no-guilt-about-no deliverables-at lab”🤩. Pre-R Voice era, I’m sure I would have felt lost, guilty and terribly depressed, which would have only added to my poor health. In fact, hadn’t I felt so, I would have actually blamed myself for not feeling so as well, quite pathetically. Not anymore! Not this time though. The discussions on diverse topics of mental health by the team and this community has helped me stay afloat, stay strong and accept that it is normal and important to take a break from work for one’s health and family❤️. I can’t thank R Voice enough! A huge hug to 🤗 🤗 @Jayashree Rajagopalan @Kakoli Majumder @Andrea Hayward @Vivien Kretz @Isurika Sevwandi @Karen Hall @Omololu FAGBADEBO @Shruti Turner @Yufita Chinta @Suman Mundkur for being such amazing MH activists here and a loud whistle blow to any MH issue out there from the community here. Cheers go-getters!

Comments

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

This is lovely, @Gayatri Ramachandran . Am sure you are feeling much better now. Thee is nothing compared to having a company of people who are sources of inspiration. R Voice is family, and I am sure we are together for a purpose like this. We all have our depressing moments but we often draw that energy from our shared. We keep moving to weather the storms together😍. keep fit and be well

One thing at a time😍

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 943 admin

@Gayatri Ramachandran thank you so much for opening up about this! I'm so glad that you took a much-needed, and more importantly, guilt-free break from work. You really needed the time off and the rest.

I feel like sometimes we get so caught up with work, that we end up functioning on autopilot. And it is at these times that we end up missing important signs from our body and mind, begging us to pause. It's up to us to remind each other that there's nothing wrong with prioritizing our health and wellbeing over deadlines and deliverables. We cannot expect ourselves to produce high quality work and be productive when we aren't feeling our best.

Glad you're doing much better now! And I'm sure you'll feel better about catching-up on work now, since you've have time to recuperate and recharge. Big hug back! 🤗

• Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭✭

@Gayatri Ramachandran , I wish you nothing but a speedy recovery and I hope I am not so late to make that wish🙆 What sticks me here is the moment we take a deep breath and decide that we need to take a much-needed rest after all, and I personally think it needs much strength to take such an essential bold decision and we are constantly walking on this treadmill of "being productive" mindset for me which a bit toxic when thinking of self-care and emotional wellbeing. As @Gayatri Ramachandran correctly mentioned, R voice is the ultimate platform that reiterates the reminder of contact self-care and emotional wellbeing which I am also prioritizing over all other things piling up on my table. Thank you for taking the time to pen this post and really love this visual post on kindness which is merely considered and mostly underestimated by the fast-paced world! It rings a bell to me that humanity can still exist on an online platform😇.

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Absolutely @Omololu FAGBADEBO! I've never had such huge bandwagon of a company in my life, ever, that oozes inspiration and INSPIRATION alone! 🤗Feel so blessed!🤩

• Gayatri Ramachandran

All is well that ends well Andrea. And so did the infectious phase end well! Gave me much quality time with self and family so should I feel a bit grateful to the microbes for having created the break (?)😆

The word "auto-pilot mode" reminded me of a discussion we had on similar grounds with Shruti few months back when I was a newbie at R Voice😍

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Humanity can still exist on an online platform- Such deep words @Isurika Sevwandi😍 Its amazing how beautiful that is. That we can still connect soul-soul virtually. I'm good and so is family. Thanks much for the wishes Isurika.

It is so true that love and kindness are underestimated when it comes to us in small teaspoons. We fail to acknowledge the beauty of life thats nudging us so often, daily. Thank you for reminding me this🤗

• Karen Hall
    Karen Hall Member Posts: 22 ✭✭

speedy recovery  GR and remember to relax the mind too. adults are conditioned to not do so. and it can affect us physically. e.g. 9 of my professors were quarentinned in the last mouth with Covid. It cast the enite department into full fearfulness. apparently ground zero was the elevator so now we have to wera mask in it.

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Thanks Karen, all is well now on the health scene😊. I love how you worded a simple truth so honestly-Adults are not conditioned to take rest. That made me ponder on how true it actually is!

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭✭

@Gayatri Ramachandran, first thing first, let me send you a huge hug 🤗

I am sorry that you have had discomfort experience, even unwanted one. But, I am truly happy you're back in your track. And thank you for sharing to us. I love how you determine your conclusion as "to share the happiness of positivity and a sense of “no-guilt-about-no deliverables-at lab”" Keep the positivity up ☺️ And I am here to support 😊

Now, take your time as much as you need. No rush at all. Just enjoy and develop the positive relationships between you and yourself.

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Thanks a lot @Yufita Chinta 🤗 (big hug back)! I did take the time I needed. Eternally grateful for all that support and kind words😍

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

I am so happy to read this @Gayatri Ramachandran . I am so happy we helped you in building that mindset in which not only a productive day (in the hustle culture sense) is a good day. I am so happy you could see rest as a productive activity and even more so am I proud that you didn't give the guilt a chance! Absolutely amazing!