FAQ section - Find answers to your questions about the R Voice Community
Got a question? We're here to help you! Below, you'll find answers to most of your questions about the R Voice community and how to navigate the platform.
In case you don't see your question here, feel free to ask your question in the comments section and tag one of the hosts of R Voice: @Jayashree Rajagopalan, @Andrea Hayward, or @Kakoli Majumder. We'll get back to you soon.
I’m new to R Voice. Where should I start?
Welcome aboard! The best way to get started is to first take a quick look at the Community Guidelines and then introduce yourself in the Meet & Greet Corner (You’ll need to create a new post while introducing yourself while introducing yourself.)) Everyone is looking forward to meet you and give you a warm welcome!
Who is R Voice for?
R Voice is a platform primarily for researchers at different stages in their career. It is a space where researchers value, support, and empower each other. We also welcome anybody who wants to pursue a career in research at some point or is interested in research or academia.
What can I post about on R Voice?
R Voice is all about sharing your academic journey with your peers – the aim of the community is to learn from each other’s experiences and help each other as we navigate academic life. So feel free to
- Ask the community questions about specific issues you are facing (e.g., communicating with a journal, planning a career move, dealing with a writer’s block, maintaining work life balance, etc.)
- Post about your experiences in academia (could be a memorable or exciting experience or an account of how you handled a tough situation as an academic)
- Celebrate successes and failures, however big or small (yes, failures too, as every failure is a learning opportunity)
- Talk about self-care and well-being, and anything else that makes a researcher’s life easier
Who can see what I post on R Voice?
The R Voice community platform is largely public. So, anybody on the internet will be able to access and see your posts on the R Voice homepage. Please bear this in mind before sharing personal information or other details that you might not want to openly share online.
Sharing your thoughts privately - However, given the nature of academic life, we understand that there might be instances when you’d want to share certain experiences privately with community members, but not make publicly available. In such cases, you can reach out to the members you would like to share your thoughts or experiences with via Direct Message on R Voice.
Sharing something anonymously - If you have something you’d want to share with the community but would rather do so anonymously, simply fill out this anonymous submission request form and the R Voice team will take care of the rest.
How can I update my profile?
To update your profile, follow these simple steps:
If you're using a laptop/desktop:
- Click on the profile icon at the top right corner of the homepage next to the ‘messages’ button. You’ll see a pop-up list (see screenshot)
- Click on the first option, that is, ‘Edit Profile.’ This will take you to a new page on R Voice.
- You can update your profile information here – basic details such as your username and email address. You can also control who can see your email address.
- Don’t forget to hit ‘Save’ when you are done!
If you're using a mobile phone/tablet:
- Click on your profile icon at the top right-hand corner
- This will open a pop-up with a list of options. You will see ‘Edit Profile’ as the first option on this list.
- Click on this option to update your profile
How can I add a profile picture?
You can upload your profile picture on the same page where you update your profile. Make sure you are signed into your account before editing your profile
If you’re using a desktop/laptop:
- You'll see a menu on the right side of this page that will include a "Change My Picture" option (see screenshot). You may need to scroll down the page a bit, to see this.
- Don't forget to hit 'Save' once you're done.
If you’re using a mobile phone/tablet:
- Click on your profile icon at the top right-hand corner. On the pop-up that opens, click ‘Edit Profile' and scroll on this page to update your profile photo.
- Once you've clicked on ‘Change My Picture’, you can ‘Choose File’ (i.e., a picture of your choice) from the device you're using.
- Finally, click ‘Save Avataar’ and you're done.
Will I receive notifications about activities on R Voice?
Yes, you will receive notifications via email as well as on the platform.
- To check notifications while using a laptop/desktop, click on the bell icon on the top right corner of the page, next to ‘messages.'
- If you’re using a mobile/tablet, click on your profile icon at the top right-hand corner of your screen. This will open a pop-up with a list of options.
- At the top of this new screen, you will see a bell icon. Click on this bell to access your notifications.
How can I change my notification preferences?
If you’re using a laptop/desktop:
- Click on the bell icon on the top right corner of the page. This will open a pop-up. (as in the screenshot above).
- Click on the three lines of the top right corner of the pop-up (see screenshot below)
- This will open a page with options where you can change your notification preferences. (see screenshot below)
- You can update your notification preferences by checking/unchecking the boxes next to the options.
- Once done, hit the “Save general preferences” button at the bottom of the page.
If you’re using a mobile phone/tablet:
- Click on your profile on the top right corner. This will open a pop-up
- Click on the bell icon at the top of the pop-up to access your notifications
- On the notifications page, click on the three lines on the top right-hand corner
- This will open your notification options. You can check/uncheck the boxes to update your notification preferences.
- Finally, scroll down and click on ‘Save General Preferences.’
How can I reach out to a community member privately?
You can reach out to a specific community member or one of the hosts of the R Voice community by using the direct messaging feature on the platform. This feature works in the same way for both laptop/desktop and mobile phone/tablet.
- Click on the ‘messages’ button on the top right-hand corner of the page, next to your profile icon
- This will open a pop-up with all the private messages you have exchanged with fellow community members.
- Click on the ‘new message’ icon at the top right-hand corner of this pop-up
- This will lead you to a new page with a ‘New Message’ form where you can type in your message.
- To add a recipient, just start typing the name of the person you want to send the message to and click the correct one from the suggestions shown
- Hit ‘Post Message’ at the bottom of the page to send it
- You can send a private message to multiple recipients at once
Can I invite other people to join R Voice?
If you enjoy being on R Voice, we’re sure you’d want to share this experience with friends and colleagues from your academic network. And we’re more than happy to welcome them here. Invite them to join this community by sharing the R Voice link with them. We’d love to have them on board. 😊 If you would like the R Voice team to invite them to join the community, just send us their name and email address and we’ll send them an invite on your behalf. (Do let them know so they can expect an email from us.)