Anything can happen Friday (but with our favorite foods) :D β€” R Voice

Anything can happen Friday (but with our favorite foods) :D

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 881 admin

Hi everyone. Happy Friday! πŸ˜ƒ (and it's about to get happier πŸ˜‰)

I want to start a new series of posts, specifically on Fridays. I'm calling them "Anything can happen Fridays", and what you can expect from these posts is just that - anything.

The goal of this series is for us all to have some light-hearted conversation at the end of the work week (in our favorite place - R Voice 🀩) and also get to know a little more about each other in the process. I hope you'll like it and that you'll all participate (🀞 fingers crossed that you'll be back next Friday for Round 2)

We've talked a lot about research, self-care, favorite books, etc. You know what we haven't talked about yet? FOOD! So that's exactly what we're going to talk about today πŸ˜ƒ

Here's what I want you to do - In the comments below, tell me about your favorite dish - your soul food. That one kind of food that can turn around any bad day and leave you feeling satisfied and happy. If you can share a picture of the dish, even better! Share as many pictures as you want.

Let's do this! πŸ₯ͺπŸ’πŸ₯˜πŸ…πŸ—πŸ₯—πŸπŸ”πŸœπŸ°πŸˆπŸ₯žπŸ£πŸ‰πŸ²

P.S. Every plate of good food usually has a story behind it. If yours does too, do share it with us. Who doesn't like to hear a great food story!

Comments

• Andrea Hayward

If I've tagged you here, I'm hoping this lovely discussion about food is just what you need to take away some end of the week exhaustion πŸ€—

Looking forward to hearing about your soul food @Vivien Kretz @Kakoli Majumder @Gayatri Ramachandran @Omololu FAGBADEBO @Sumana Bhattacharjya @Aysa MC @Yufita Chinta @Oladele Campbell @Sheethal G @Soumi Paul @Gonzague Isirabahenda @Tony Nwankwo @Matilda Sase @Adaora Anyichie - Odis @Karen Hall

• Andrea Hayward

LOL sorry for making you hungry @Karen Hall πŸ˜…

Is dhal a lentil soup? I did an internet search and after seeing the pictures, I feel like we have something very similar here in India. Only difference is that we call it dal. It is one of the most satisfying and fulfilling meals, especially when eaten with something fried such as pakora or crispy fried fish 🀩

Now I'm hungry too πŸ˜‚

• Sumana Bhattacharjya
    Sumana Bhattacharjya Member Posts: 4 ✭

"dhall and coconut choka with sada roti" sound very similar to some of the things we eat as staple in India. Karen can you elaborate on what these exactly are at your place?

• Sumana Bhattacharjya
    edited June 3

I am a die hard foodie. I love home-cooked food. But I equally love food served in restaurants, take away food, and street food. Thank God for WFH, I eat more of home-cooked food, though. However, when I travel, I make sure to savor local cuisine or any food that is special at a particular place, and I simply refuse to look at the calories. When I was in the US, I got introduced to Shepherd's Pie. By jove, this rich and meaty classic made with a mixture of lamb and sirloin and topped with a creamy, cheesy mashed potato topping is such a delight at the table. Once introduced to this rock star of a dish, I have had it and its variants several times at various places, but that first experience at Katie Mullen's, 16th Street, Denver, Colorado (picture below) will always stay with me, much like first love......

• Karen Hall
    Karen Hall Member Posts: 14 ✭✭

after 3 years abroad I am definitely missing my home cooked food e.g. dhall and coconut choka with sada roti hmmm now I am hungry hahah

• Aysa MC
    Aysa MC Member Posts: 21 ✭✭✭

oh, people, I live in Peru... gastronomic capital... visitors loose their heads!!! Soon some pics... Hugs

• Sumana Bhattacharjya

Ah very similar to what we eat here. Thanks for sharing pics, Karen!

• Andrea Hayward

Woah! Now that looks like a dish that will have you feeling like you need a nap after 😍 Thanks for sharing @Sumana Bhattacharjya. Like you, I too like a good balance between home-cooked meals and eating out. I wish I was as adventurous as you when it comes to trying the local specialty of the places I visit. But after seeing how amazing your experience has been doing this, I'm going to give this a go for sure! πŸ™‚

• Andrea Hayward

Thanks for sharing @Karen Hall. I agree with @Sumana Bhattacharjya. This does look a lot like the dal and roti we eat here in India. In fact it's a staple. If I moved away from home, I'd 100% miss it too πŸ˜…

P.S. If you've sourced these images from the internet, could you please mention the sources under the images? Just add "Source: (add link/website name from where you sourced the images). Let me know if you need any help with this :)

• Andrea Hayward

Can't wait @Aysa MC! I've watched several food shows where the hosts travel through Peru and taste the delicious local cuisine. It all looks so yummy! 😍

• Andrea Hayward

I got so excited about everyone else's comments, that I forgot to write my own πŸ˜…

2 kinds of food that always leaves me feeling happy and fulfilled are spaghetti and hummus (especially when it's part of a mezze platter!). Sharing one picture that I took while on my last trip. The food coma was unreal 😍

• Sumana Bhattacharjya

OMG, this platter is sooo beautiful and tempting!!

• Andrea Hayward

@Sumana Bhattacharjya it truly was! I felt like I needed to be rolled into the car after this meal. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat πŸ˜„πŸ˜…

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

Thats some topic that will bring many on the same table, literally @Andrea Hayward😁. I was drooling looking at the images you guys have posted.

I am the typical south Indian who loves Dosa, sambar, vada with a hot cup of filter kaapi (coffee called so in S.India) anytime of the year!πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹ Be it home-cooked or from outside (sorry I do not have a photo of that from home or elsewhere now to post it here). The other irresistible drink is irani Chai, a major part of Hyderabadi cuisine. No one finishes their food here at any time of the day without gulping down a chota cup of hot tea even if its summer

Yes @Karen Hall what you've mentioned is staple here in various parts of India as well. Nice to know you miss them coz anyone who has lived on them, would!

• Andrea Hayward

Hahah this is one discussion thread that will have everyone feeling hungry @Gayatri Ramachandran πŸ˜„

I love dosa too! Especially when it's a perfect crisp. It's comfort food 😍 I haven't ever tried Irani chai, unfortunately. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever tried authentic Hyderabadi cuisine either (with the exception of biryani). Any recommendations?

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 296 admin

I've been following this thread, and trying to think of one soul food, but it took me quite a few days to figure. I never thought this would be a hard one, but this was part of my think-walk the last couple of days, and I was rather amused at how my choice of soul food has changed with the places I've lived in. I hadn't realized that I'm such a big believer of eating local. :D

Growing up in Kolkata, the land of sweets, soul food for me used to be sweets at one point - roshogolla, sandesh, mishti doi. I remember that distinct sigh of comfort I felt every time I came back from vacations to taste the sweets from the sweet shop next door (yeah, my mom's house has an adjoining sweet shop :D).

When I moved to Bombay, my comfort food gradually shifted to dal khichadi - a concoction of rice and pulses with some spices thrown in. And also, the vegetable sandwiches that roadside vendors sell.

Very recently, when I came back to Bangkok after a long travel, I was surprisingly craving the Thai style fried rice - Khao phat as they call it here. I put the first spoonful in my mouth and felt that same gush of warmth that I felt when eating roshogollas as a child! Thanks for starting this thread @Andrea Hayward - Thinking about it has been an exercise in self-discovery for me - though a weirdly funny one. So, here's a picture of my current soul food.

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    edited June 9

Wow! Here I am drooling over this picture!!

I am a sucker for sushi. If I had a terrible day, I always order salmon sashimi. It is the food that gets me smiling even when everything is going wrong. 🍣

I also adore all sorts of Korean food. Some fried tteokbooki, especially with a lot of kimchi and gochujang, make everything better. Furthermore, as I recently travelled a bit in Eastern Europe, my love for borek and baklava as well as Palačinke (Southern European pancakes) has been revived. πŸ₯ž

My favourite thing to cook at home currently though are arepas. They are so simple yet amazing! πŸ«“πŸ₯‘

Damn, now I want to order Uber Eats. 🫣😊

• Vivien Kretz

I loooove all of the South Indian dishes you mentioned @Gayatri Ramachandran ! So yum! And yes, they are very very easy to miss!

• Gayatri Ramachandran

My ONLY recommendation @Andrea Hayward - Do come over to HyderabadπŸ€—. Let us meet and go out on a gastronomic journey of sorts. Hyderabad is ONE place for that- much better than the old Delhi streets, positively!

• Gayatri Ramachandran

I'm super happy to know we share the same taste and relish sweets @Kakoli Majumder. Cheers to the sweet tooth in us!😍 I simply love to hear someone say they are a sweet tooth coz I've observed that In India only one in 100 are sweet tooth. I am left mouth-watering by the very name of roshogollas, shondesh and mishti doiπŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹.

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Glad to hear that you've had them all! Wow Vivien😊. Next time you come to India anytime we should all get together and relish ALL of the above😁.

And about your love for Bakhlava, its my fav too @Vivien Kretz ! The first time I had them few years back left me gorging on the entire box, the sweet tooth in me was simply bowled over by the subtle tastes and yet they drip with an exquisite sugary taste😍

• Vivien Kretz

I have never been and I would love to go! I tried all these specialities during my travels in other parts of the world with strong Indian cuisine. 😊

Omg yes! One time in Palestine I ate the whole box in one sitting as well πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ It was simply too good