How much could you relate to these experience driven thoughts? — R Voice

How much could you relate to these experience driven thoughts?

Gayatri Ramachandran
Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

Coupling my experiences in academia with motivation from my role model in science- Dr. Stephen Hawking , I penned and published a short blog here- https://researcher.life/blog/article/phd-in-the-sciences/ Special and heartfelt thanks to my better half and @Jayashree Rajagopalan for their time dedicated to editing this piece😍.

So, what came to your mind when you finished reading it- Please check one or more of the options below @Vivien Kretz @Shruti Turner @Isurika Sevwandi @Yufita Chinta @Suman Mundkur @Adaora Anyichie - Odis @Omololu FAGBADEBO @Karen Hall @Parul Nigam @DEBPRASAD DUTTA @Kiran Kondru @Kakoli Majumder @Andrea Hayward @chris leonard @Jayashree Rajagopalan

How much could you relate to these experience driven thoughts? 5 votes

Everything and completely everything
0%
Most of it.
60%
Jayashree RajagopalanSoumi PaulAdaora Anyichie - Odis 3 votes
Didnt realise we share so many commonalities in academia!
0%
Could't relate to most, not yet.
20%
Kiran Kondru 1 vote
I'm new to research hence this is some new learning!
0%
Hmm, seems and sounds familiar.
20%
Andrea Hayward 1 vote
Is this all? I have more to share!
0%

Comments

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Additionally, considering we have exceptional writers here, please share your comments and critique. Would love an elaboration, absolutely!

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 319 admin
    edited May 30
    Most of it.

wohooo congratulations on getting your blog post up @Gayatri Ramachandran This was enjoyable - I am a writer/editor at heart and your piece spoke to me. It's a great thought, your post - it gives aspiring researchers a heads up about what they should expect. You talk about not just the dreamy theory but also the ground reality behind everything in academia. Great stuff!

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 881 admin
    Hmm, seems and sounds familiar.

@Gayatri Ramachandran Congratulations! So nice to see someone from R Voice on the Researcher.Life blog 🤩

I really enjoyed reading your blog post. Since I haven't been through the PhD journey myself, I couldn't personally relate to the experiences you've shared. Still, it was a very engaging read. I really like that you've talked about how pursuing a PhD helps with a confidence boost and also rewards you with life skills. I've read quite a few experiences of PhD students talking about how PhD life intensified their imposter feelings and self-doubt (surely we all know that PhD life is not the least bit easy). So it was quite interesting to read about an experience different from this one.

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Thanks a lot@Jayashree Rajagopalan for the "boost"ly words of motivation😍. My current mentor/supervisor also said exactly the same. He loved how I brought out the positivity in PhD when many face negative vibes. That was the sole purpose of me writing the piece since I had had a big share of negativity in my previous lab, all thanks to that supervisor and a HUGE share of positivity in my current lab all thanks to my current supervisor!🤩 These extremes helped me bring out the middle path realities and expectations in academia.

• Gayatri Ramachandran

Thank you @Andrea Hayward! 🤗 Yes, my academic experiences that touched upon both extremities of the PhD life helped shape these thoughts. To those facing low times or imposter feelings, this blog might help boost their outlook and give them some solace that they ARE learning a LOT even through those tough times they face!