Only the step in front of you 👣 — R Voice

Only the step in front of you 👣

Vivien Kretz
Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
edited May 24 in Self-care & Wellbeing

As a small reflection and self care practice, I would love to hear from you guys: what is your next small step in your current work/research process?

Let's reflect on where we are and break down what seems like a heap of work into a tangible and manageable amount of effort! 😊

Tagged:

Comments

• Vivien Kretz
  • Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for tagging me @Vivien Kretz

I have one sentence I never left: "why am I here?"

As I remember, I take a lot of time before deciding to go to advanced education (master and PhD) and jobs. I consider the advantages and disadvantages, the possible happy and unhappy moments, whether I with my characters can do the courses/jobs, etc. And then, I wrap all my thoughts with one self-suggestion: "well, Chinta, if you want to do it, do it best till the last. If you don't want to do it, it is okay. You have considered it carefully". Since then, the "why am I here?" has become the root of every decision I make. In every situation I have, especially the unhappy moments, the "why am I here?" reminds me of how I take the chances and magically boost my positivity.

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭✭

To get approval for my research proposal

• Vivien Kretz

This is such an interesting approach! I want to ask myself that question more as well.

Some people also say "Always remember why you started".

• Vivien Kretz
  • Tony Nwankwo
    Tony Nwankwo Member Posts: 12 ✭✭

@Vivien Kretz the question you asked appears to be an aspect of mindfulness 🤔. Just saying though.

well, the step-in front however is awaiting date for my defense.

• Riad Vai
    Riad Vai Member Posts: 1 ✭

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

If you ask me that@Vivien Kretz, honestly, it is many small steps in different directions. I'm a multi-tasker by nature and never happy doing ONLY ONE small step at a time😆. Like Chris once mentioned in another post, "good enough is good enough", is one of the mantras I've adopted as I progress in various aspects of life-personal, family, research, mentoring and mystics of life. When I go to bed, I smile at my new, small, everyday learnings. Small is always big! That's one thing my parents always stressed upon since my childhood, so I've never been overwhelmed (touch-wood) by huge tasks at hand coz breaking it down into smaller bits is the first thing I do. I get stressed when I have many small things to attend to in multiple directions. That is where several tips shared by you all has helped me tide over them 🤩

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 319 admin

Another belter of a post @Vivien Kretz I took my time to respond because I tend to forget the one-step-at-a-time approach and that ends up being very stressful. Thanks for being a master nudger - given where I am, I think that next step for me is one installment of self-development every day instead of that massive session over a future weekend that almost always never happens.

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 296 admin

It's uncanny how an R Voice post almost always makes me pause just at the right moment - and steers me towards a path of self-reflection and self-correction. The past couple weeks have been crazy and I've been excitedly working on a bunch of things without pausing to prioritize. Your post is a blessing at the moment @Vivien Kretz! I might have gone on working distractedly on a myriad tasks and most sight of the next most important goal. I can't thank you enough :D

Well, the next step for me is to focus on the two major projects I have to complete over the next quarter. And I'm going to utilize the Shut Up and Write session this week to scope out one of those :D :D

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 881 admin

Just catching up on all the chatter here. @Vivien Kretz Thank you so much for starting this conversation. A reminder as kind as this one is always welcome 🤗

You're so right. When we're thinking about the end goal or outcome (which could be months from now), we end up feeling overwhelmed with the million things we need to do in order to get there. But in reality, our main focus and duty at that time might just be one or a few tasks in order to make it to the next stage of our journey.

I came across an image by one of my favorite artists earlier today, and it's quite apt for this discussion. Sharing it with you all @Adaora Anyichie - Odis @Vivien Kretz @Tony Nwankwo @Gayatri Ramachandran @Yufita Chinta @Kakoli Majumder

Source: lizandmollie | Instagram

• Andrea Hayward

@Yufita Chinta I love your approach of taking a step back to ask "Why am I here?" At the same time I also find your acceptance admirable, regardless of what the answer to the question might be. How you answer the question might decide whether continuing along that path is the best decision for you or rather, decide if it's time for you to move on. This is a very special kind of self awareness and courage. I just wanted to take a moment to remind you of that ❤️

@Adaora Anyichie - Odis Good luck with your research proposal. I hope you get the results you're expecting soon. Rooting for you! 🤩

@Tony Nwankwo How is the prep for your defense going? I'm sure it's going to be great. Please remember that no one knows more about your work right now than you do. You are the expert 🙂

• Tony Nwankwo
    Tony Nwankwo Member Posts: 10 ✭

@Andrea HaywardThe preparation is really going on well. Thanks so much.

I really love what you said here😍.

"Please remember that no one knows more about your work right now than you do. You are the expert 🙂"

You are absolutely correct. I will always have that in mind.

• Andrea Hayward

Glad to hear that @Tony Nwankwo. Please come back to the R Voice Community whenever you're feeling low and need some encouragement or even if you need some supportive friends in your corner. You'll never be disappointed 🙂

I'm looking forward to hearing all about the defense, once you've crossed this milestone ☺️

• Vivien Kretz

Yes exactly, it is a mindfulness practice! It's all about being reflected and aware 😊

• Vivien Kretz

Hi @Riad Vai I cannot see your comment, would you mind adding it again? Thrilled to read it! :)

• Vivien Kretz

Oh yes @Gayatri Ramachandran , you truly are a woman who always tackles many things at once and you don't even know how much I admire you for that. It is absolutely astounding how you build your life through your activities. Chris' mantra is very smart! AND true. Small IS in fact big. The small moments create our lives as they how we spend our days. And how we spend our days is how we spend our lives. I am so happy to read you sharing about your progress. 🤩

• Vivien Kretz

Ay that is such a compliment @Jayashree Rajagopalan ! Nudging IS my specialty 😊. Similarly to the one and only weekend you described, my mum always pushes the tasks she would like to complete between "Christmas and New Year's Eve". Each year the same procedure as she then realises that that time span only encompasses a gracious 4 days. That's why we should tackle things a tiny bit each day rather than burdening ourselves with the whole task during the entire time period. However, this is where things start: breaking it down into pieces. Tasks need to be made small to be practicable and understandable. "Read e-mail" and "reply to email" as well as "check email" and "send email" are 4 steps but our brain doesn't acknowledge that and just says "check mails". Many tasks are actually compressed of much smaller steps than we would think.

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭

@Andrea Hayward ow....I did not expect the sweetest and most appreciable comment as I receive from you. Thank you.

Well, I want to leave myself who thinks all the things in a complex way and start and do all things from the roots by holding the "why am I here?" and in a simple way as being the topic of this conversation: one step after another step.

• Vivien Kretz

Haha @Kakoli Majumder , nudging IS my specialty then! I am happy it caused you to pause and reflect as that is what mindfulness and self care are all about. It is so good that you could take a small breath and put a name on those tasks.

• Vivien Kretz

This visual is what I needed @Andrea Hayward ! Thank you so much! I often caught myself plotting steps to take for future scenarios in my head that are absolutely not real yet. But by then I already had taken 3 steps in terms of which insurance my non-existent kid needs in case they break their arm. (I wish this was a joke- but no, it's one of the real scenarios in my head 😮‍💨). I guess it comes from the need to plan everything ahead. So maybe I should take it step by step, just like your beautiful visual showed.

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

A simple task of checking emails is broken down by the brain into complex steps?! That is a wonderful example worth remembering @Vivien Kretz☺️

• Vivien Kretz

Yes, it is so much better for us if we give ourselves a pat on the back for every small step. 😊