Your views requested on this writing tool — R Voice

Your views requested on this writing tool

chris leonard
chris leonard Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 168 admin

HI all. One of the advantages of R Voice is that you get to see things before anyone else! This is a tool we are working on to help you get articles written. It's a sentence search engine called PhrasePerfect, and I'd love it if you were able to take a look and tell me what you think in the comments below. Your views will help us determine how best to develop this further. Thanks!

PS: the video is by me - it shows what it's all about - just watch that if you're confused.

Comments

• chris leonard

Paging @Vivien Kretz @Gayatri Ramachandran @Soumi Paul @Erin Owens @Praveena Ramanujam

I know you're all interested in making the wiring process easier - please take a look and share your honest feedback in the replies here. We can only make it better if you tell us where it needs to improve. Thank you so much for your consideration :-)

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

Hi @chris leonard ! Such an interesting tool! Unfortunately, it only shows me scientific and no humanties-based articles but maybe that is also the focus of the tool?

• chris leonard

Thanks @Vivien Kretz - it's not meant to be non-humanities. What phrases/words are not showing up for you?

• Vivien Kretz

I was typing in "Andre Bazin" and "photographic image" as I am writing an essay about one of his theories and nothing showed up unfortunately.

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Thank you @chris leonard for introducing this tool to us! I found few technical and scientific terms while many are still missing, specially synonyms for scientific terminologies. I guess its difficult as well and that is why it is missing(?) For eg: Mitochondrial dynamics didn't show up a synonym.

I also tried testing short sentences to test plagiarism percentages. It didn't work due to word limit. Do you also offer a tool for that? I mean there are common sentences/common knowledge written in several research articles while they all address a similar hypothesis. In such scenarios plagiarism checks are of great use to rephrase sentences easily. Probably we could search our sentence in this tool to know the percentage of words, phrases and sentences that match ours in other articles as well. I hope my explanation is clear? It would be great to know if such a feature already is there in any of your tools available currently

• chris leonard

Hey @Vivien Kretz - it's not meant as a search engine in that sense. It looks for example of words or phrases in existing literature and then shows you that word/phrase in context to help you complete a sentence (amongst other things). Therefore these searches work - but combining them doesn't. Also, we need to up our content in HSS - that's a good point:

https://researcher.life/phraseperfect/search?t=andre%20bazin

And, you can also do stuff like this:

https://researcher.life/phraseperfect/search?t=*%20photographic%20image

• chris leonard

HI @Gayatri Ramachandran - synonyms are provided via the Oxford English Dictionary, so are not going to include non-everyday terms I'm afraid. But you raise a good point and it might be worth us looking at a way to define technical terms as well.

It's not meant as a way to check plagiarism. We have a character limit on searches to prevent excessive CPU time on each search, so this isn't going to be a great way to determine plagiarism (other than for 2-4 word phrases - which, in any case, can hardly be said to be plagiarised). There are plagiarism tools that do a better job of this for whole manuscripts (iThenticate being one of them).

I appreciate the request to paraphrase a sentence. We will look into that too. Thank you for the suggestion. All of this is gold to us as we refine it. Always happy to hear more feedback :-)

• Vivien Kretz

Thank you so much for explaining @chris leonard ! I hope I can put it to better use now 😊

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Oh thats good to know that you intend working on technical terms as well Chris. That will be a real boon to scientific writing!

Thank you for the suggestion of a plagiarism tool. When it comes from you its ever more au(i)thenticated ;)