Binge writer VS Daily/Habitual writer — R Voice

Binge writer VS Daily/Habitual writer

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 943 admin

Hi R Voicers! I came across a very interesting post on Twitter today. It divided academic writers into 2 groups - "binge writers" and "daily habits writers". I'm sure both types have their pros and cons and that one might work better for some people over the other. But this tweet has certainly piqued my curiosity.

Would you consider yourself to be a binge writer i.e. someone who writes in large chunks or at a long stretch? Or are you a more habitual or daily writer i.e. someone who has allotted a specific amount of writing time each day and strictly follows that? Let me know in the comments! I'd also love to learn which of these works better for you.

Comments

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

This is an interesting question @Andrea Hayward ! I definitely see myself as a binge writer. As I always write when I have a spark of passion or interest and then write very passionately, it is hard to break down the writing into smaller chunks. I would call myself a daily habit editor. Once the text is written, I go over it and add the information specifically with a specific daily goal.

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 943 admin

Thanks for sharing @Vivien Kretz. I find the added role of "daily habit editor" very interesting and useful even. I suppose binge writing might be viewed negatively at first glace. But this is not true. For many people, who need to feel inspired to write, binge writing might be the source of some of their best work 🙂

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Right @Andrea Hayward. Binge writing has always been a source of some of my best and loved works too. I honestly like to go over it time and again, not to edit, but to re-live those thoughts and the instances that led to those thoughts. Writing is like meditation for me. It is an intense art form. And all of this is when, like @Vivien Kretz mentioned, we write passionately from our heart and soul- a journalling kind.

On the other hand, to write your thesis and papers building a habitual writer within us is essential since they are time bound, heavy-editing bound which is again time dependent with not as much of the heart and soul involved as much as penning one's journal. This is only my understanding. It might sound primitive or quizzical when I say not as much of the heart and soul involved as much as penning one's journal coz it might sound like I'm not enjoying my work or PhD time which is not at all the case. It is just that there is more creativity, zing and a depiction of myself alone in the journal while in papers or thesis its a conglomeration of so many perspectives, ideas, research works and editing from several sources. Hence it tends to be less of me and more of everyone involved in that journey. This is exactly why I have got hooked to the SU&W sessions, which will eventually help me get into that habit of a daily writer and help me as a researcher in the long run.

I take this opportunity to specially thank @Kakoli Majumder, the brain behind the sessions (as acknowledged and informed to me by @Andrea Hayward), for, this is helping me and Vivien work on our writing skills☺️. Thanks a ton Kakoli!

• Vivien Kretz

Exactly! For me, binge-writing means I am on a streak of fruitful ideas and inspiration!

• Vivien Kretz

Wow @Gayatri Ramachandran . "Writing is like meditation for me. It is an intense art form." Such absolutely beautiful and true words. Writing really should be seen as art- simply because it is. It is a form of expression and not only a place where information is collected.

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Actually missed you in the last SU&W session @Vivien Kretz, that was held on 29th April. Myself and Kakoli were looking forward to see you ☺️.

• Vivien Kretz

Awe @Gayatri Ramachandran , I really miss these sessions too. Unfortunately, my uni schedule keeps on clashing when the sessions are in the late morning/ early afternoon for me. I truly hope I can participate again, soon. 😊