Literally everything & anything! — R Voice

Literally everything & anything!

Soumi Paul
Soumi Paul Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭✭

At the beginning of Monday blue, I just figured out that everybody questions when you try to go beyond being just a commoner. Probably that's why the choice of being a researcher, doing a Ph.D., is questioned all the time. Rational. As we all fall under 1 % of the global population. So we are supposed to be asked. Higher choices bring higher challenges, for sure.

Happy Monday! 😊

Communication is the key to thriving! 😊

Comments

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 943 admin
    edited April 11

Fascinating thought @Soumi Paul! I agree with what you've said about some people questioning why you'd want to do more than the bare minimum. In fact, academia might be one of the few spaces where I've not seen this happen, with everyone trying to do as much as they possibly can.

The choice of working towards becoming part of a relatively small group - either social or professional - surely comes with challenges. But I have a different view about those who question such a quest (deliberate alliteration 😄). It might not be that they aren't up for a challenge. Instead, maybe they're so content with where they are and what they're doing, that they don't see the need for change?

The way I see it, both stances have their pros and cons. This is my personal take on it. What do you think?

• Soumi Paul

@Andrea Hayward, yes, they don't see the need to go out of the box. Truly both have pros and cons. However, what makes me feel dull about the whole thing is we are living in such a retrogressive society that every alternative of living gets questioned. This malign way of living is so subconsciously embedded within us that every different small move gets judged. People don't talk for you to correct and grow. They do so to criticize the otherwise choices. Unfortunately, this over criticizing habit within us only makes our society full of domestic chaos. You can imagine to what extent all these drain our productivity and progress.

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

@Soumi Paul I had a similar realisation recently. I was born in a place where no one would leave their bubble, dare even say move away from there. So it is hard to be the 1 percent that actually does. And that comes with a lot of questions. Where? Why? What?

But I one hundred percent agree, if we wouldn't have made that one, we would have never even been presented with those questions.

• Soumi Paul

@Vivien Kretz, I too am from a typical middle-middle class mentality background. And honestly, since my childhood, subconsciously, I feel very angry at this middle-class mentality. So without much consciously recognizing the reasons behind my actions, I majorly was up to bursting all meaningless bubbles. Only now as I can answer the psychology behind my actions. All of it makes sense to me now. Why am I choosing research, why am I opting for certain other things.

I wish you luck in making your sustainable bubble! 🙂

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

Yes! I also often felt a lot of anger. So much anger. It was hard to be the only one there with my mindset and my thoughts. But that also holds so much perspective and power. I am happy that bursting that bubble has lead you to many good decisions and a positive outlook for you. :)

• Soumi Paul

@Vivien Kretz, accept hugs from a like-minded 🤗🤗🤗🤗