Mother's day celebration — R Voice

Mother's day celebration

Adaora Anyichie - Odis
Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday was mother's day celebration in Nigeria. I heard 'Mummy trap' 8 months ago while listening to a video via YouTube. I realized that is why a lot of women give up on their career goals.

I remember being the only Female that applied for CCHUB/University of I Virgili PhD scholarship in 2018. At the end I was the only one that got to the interview stage amongst us.

I have taken a lot of risk like being pregnant for the first time and moving from IFDC Abuja Nigeria office to Lome, Togo office (a Francophone country).

Left my comfort zone to study for my MSc as a Mum and expectant Mum. I remember how stressful it was but I never gave up. I actually discovered my strengths which has been helpful since then.

The climax was realising that I took in the very month I started my PhD for my 3rd child who will clock 3 years by August. I didn't feel trapped. I enjoyed the journey and it didn't affect my studies. Mother's if you can invest in stroller, Baby bouncer and washing machine. Cooking in bulk and storing in your freezer is a life saver. Sharing your itinerary with your spouse and working as a TEAM is the best. It saves you a lot of headaches. As a PhD student/Candidate, I had a to do list and made sure I was always on time in submitting all requirements like weekly quiz, conceptual projects, forum discussions, Coursewiki, proposals, term 1, 2, and 3 report. Being determined, focused and hardworking are essential to be successful.

Life is full of stages, I miss my youthful days but growth is inevitable. It is ok to take a career break if you want to nurture your kids yourself especially for those that live outside Nigeria. Please remember to get your game back...it is called ''returnship''.

Dear Women set goals for yourselves often (yearly, monthly, weekly, daily) keep smashing them. Please don't forget to surround yourself with winners, your inner circle must be great, keep abreast of current trends in your field and get a Mentor. Women are resilient in nature and can achieve anything we set out to accomplish. Women are 'BRAVE'.

#worklifebalance #womeninacademia #womeninscience #womenempowerment #womeninstem #womeninglobalhealth #iwd2022 #breakthebias #womeninleadership #career #growth #success #motivation #momlife

Comments

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Hello @Adaora Anyichie - Odis. You have brought out a GRAND design through your life story. The grand design here being-1. Of nature making grand plans for every woman to contribute to the population and watch the "survival of the fittest" game in action, while, 2. Every woman out there has her own grand plans that might bear fruit by grit OR wilt succumbing to societal or familial pressures.

I really loved and appreciate the sheer determination you have shown in nurturing both family and education together in the face of tough times! This purely uphill task that you have recounted is truly inspiring and something that resonates with my journey through recent life as well. You deserve a round of applause for rowing 2 boats with great efficiency👏👏. Thank you Adaora for jumpstarting this week with such inspiration!

"Women are resilient in nature and can achieve anything we set out to accomplish" is absolutely true! She is nature's marvel and a tough nut which is why women are celebrated in India as goddesses (though men have turned a blind eye to it, sadly)

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis

Awww...@Gayatri Ramachandran thank you so much for your feedback. The first and second point are crucial to all BRAVE women.

I concur to this statement about women too 100% "She is nature's marvel and a tough nut which is why women are celebrated in India as goddesses".

Have a great week.

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 851 admin

@Adaora Anyichie - Odis thank you for sharing your journey with us. You are truly an inspiration! 🤩

Your post conveys in the best way possible that we can never know what people around us are dealing with and the kind of difficulties that have to face. And so it's very important for us all to be as kind and understanding as possible.

I've said this in the past but will say it again. Your drive, determination, and perseverance always come through whenever you share a part of your story with us. I'm sure that the journey to each of your successes was in no way easy and I really admire your strength and your approach to each one. It's safe to say that your little ones don't have to look too far for a role model 😍

Thank you for telling us about the little things that worked for you. Everyone is usually quick to say that we need to balance work and life better but few people really dive into the details of how we could go about doing this. 🙂

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis

@Andrea Hayward thank you for your feedback, we rise by lifting others.

The effect of story telling is to use emotions to make people to act and bring about positive change.

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 279 admin

This is such an inspiring journey @Adaora Anyichie - Odis. One challenge that early career researchers often face is that PhD and postdoc time for many researchers clashes with personal milestones as well - marriage, kids, buying your own house, etc. Sadly, many researchers delay these important personal milestones as they're afraid that it might affect their work negatively. Inspiring stories like yours will hopfully motivate young researchers to not put their personal life at a halt -and assure them that it is possible to do both at the same time. :)

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis

Thank you @Kakoli Majumder for your feedback. Storytelling effects change, I hope this will inspire young female Researchers/PhD students and Candidates.

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

Wow @Adaora Anyichie - Odis what an absolutely strong woman you are. You have faced so many challenges and juggled both being a mom and pursuing academia which I personally find more than inspiring. Your post made me believe a little more in myself as a woman and I dearly want to thank you for that.

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis

Awww...thank you so much for your feedback @Vivien Kretz. I am glad to have inspired you positively to believe in yourself. Goodluck

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Hello @Adaora Anyichie - Odis. You have ushered in a GRAND design this month end through your life story! The grand design here being - 1. Of nature having grand plans for any woman on earth, to sustain the population and watch the "survival of the fittest" game while 2. Every woman out there has her own grand plans that might bear fruit by pure grit OR wilt succumbing to societal and familial pressures.

My! Your maternal journey through education was very inspiring, at the same time very resonating to my own journey through PhD. Having to raise a family while balancing the many aspects of graduate education is an uphill task indeed and the way you have borne it with sheer determination and continue to nurture your children and PhD deserves a round of applause!👏👏.

"Women are resilient in nature and can achieve anything we set out to accomplish" is absolutely true! She is nature's marvel and that is why women are celebrated in India as Goddesses (a profound truth that man turns a blind eye to, sadly)