What kind of writing goals do you set? β€” R Voice

What kind of writing goals do you set?

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 943 admin

I know that we probably all have and need writing goals, regardless of the specific piece of writing we're working on. I'm sure everyone's writing goals vary, but I'm curious to see what yours look like. On what basis do you set writing goals? Time spent writing? Word count? Section of the paper you're working on? Deadlines?

Let me know in the comments! :)

Best Answer

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 233 ✭✭✭
    Answer βœ“

I do not set ANY writing goals at all @Andrea Hayward! That is the prime reason why I loved the concept of "Shut up and write" 😁. It gave me a purpose and goal for at least those 2 days in a week. I look forward to them and when I cannot attend for any reason I just ensure allocating the same one hour the very next week and stick to it, imagining you guys on the other sideπŸ˜‚. As of other days, I just write as long as I feel like. It is highly erratic. There can be a string of days when I don't write at all (those days I am multitasking experiments in a day) and a string of days as well when I just don't work much in lab but relax and keep writing. I know you would quite understand that writing being a creative art form requires the heart and soul to be involved. So just as any art form, I write only when I feel like it. Maybe thats how I strike a balance.

But I would love to hear what is yours Andrea; it might help me streamline the process to beat tough times of compelled writing (and that was only when reviewers comments had haunted meπŸ˜‰). I am blessed and very grateful to have a doubly supportive and more than helpful supervisor(current PhD mentor) who does most of the editing and concising work himself, despite his other commitments, if that even means staying up late at night, at his age❀️

Answers

• Andrea Hayward

Haha @Gayatri Ramachandran love how you make up for the Shut Up and Write sessions that you can't attend. Imagining us on the other side πŸ˜„ But I'm so glad that these writing sessions have been helpful for you 😊

You're so right about needing to involve your heart and soul when writing, especially if you want the piece of writing to turn out great. I also need to feel inspired in order to write. So I can relate.

For me, it depends on what I'm writing and how much time I have to write it. Just yesterday, I started writing a blog post for an upcoming CACTUS initiative I'm working on. At first, I just spent some time staring at the blank page, trying to organize my thoughts. But then I gave myself 2 hours and decided to get everything I wanted to say out on my document, without thinking about how nice it sounds or how well it flows. I then took a break and got back to the document much later in the day to make edits and correct for things like tone, flow, readability, wordiness, etc. I've always found this technique helpful. After the break when I go back to the piece of writing, I approach it as an editor. But while writing, I'm just thinking like an author and trying to get as much as I want to say out into the world.

• Andrea Hayward
    edited March 22

@Gayatri Ramachandran also, I recently came across an interesting article on the benefits of setting writing goals. I think you might like to read it :)

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Yeah I pretty much follow the same as you do @Andrea Hayward. Taking breaks and writing as per the flow but I always edited even before I used to finish a paragraph. It was the "Shut up and Write" session that gave me this useful hack of not getting back at editing until the entire piece is done, saving time and energy.

Special thanks for taking the time to share the link to the "why"s and "how"s of effective writing☺️

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

I definetely go more with the flow as well, just like @Gayatri Ramachandran . I do set official deadlines in most of the research plans I have to submit, so those serve as a guideline, but mainly, the stress I feel determines the writing goals.

As I study at the college of the humanities, there has to be a mix of words from the heart and academic research, which means that sometimes I will find myself on a writing spree when fuelled with good ideas. I try to milk those as much as possible, especially with other emerging ideas on other categories of my paper for those days when I feel less fuelled.

I aim to go with the general flow and feel but always set myself the goal to have the whole body of text standing (even if it might be shitty) a week before the deadline to just know that I would have at least anything to submit. The last week (ideally) I use for editage and actually making my argument work rather than just providing an assembly of random facts.

• Andrea Hayward

@Gayatri Ramachandran this tip of not editing while writing and approaching every piece of writing as an AUTHOR first is a little something I picked up from @Jayashree Rajagopalan and @Kakoli Majumder long before Shut Up and Write πŸ˜ƒ

• Andrea Hayward

@Vivien Kretz I could really relate to this - "there has to be a mix of words from the heart and academic research". Took me back to my own time in college, especially for my Sociology and Anthropology classes. My professors would insist on us explaining how we felt or how we personally related to whatever we were studying that week. One professor would say "Don't memorize the theory and write it down. I already know it. What I'd like to know is what you think about this theory" πŸ˜…

• Soumi Paul
    Soumi Paul Member Posts: 202 ✭✭✭✭

The more I think of putting myself into a structure, the more I deviate from it. What kind of element I am made up of, I wonder. πŸ˜›

Communication is the key to thriving! 😊