National Mentoring Month - recognizing the power of relationships — R Voice

National Mentoring Month - recognizing the power of relationships

Kakoli Majumder
Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 251 admin

I just found out that January is celebrated as National Mentoring Month in the US. What a positive beginning to a new year! This initiative seems like an amazing way to recognize the power of mentoring and the impact it can have on people’s lives.

Mentoring is not just about learning from others, but also about supporting and understanding each other – it’s about the power of relationships and helping others achieve their full potential. For a mentor, mentoring is about listening, understanding, and guiding, about being there for others, sharing our journey and experiences so that others can learn from them. For a mentee, it’s about having someone dependable they can seek advice from and look up to. Mentoring is all about spreading positivity and helping each other grow. It's also as much about getting as it is about giving back. And what better time to do this than the beginning of the year – when we all look forward to a fresh start! Let’s celebrate the power of mentoring and grow together as a community!

Let’s make mentoring the topic of the month on R Voice. Throughout this month, we’ll be sharing posts about mentoring - make sure to keep an eye out for these! We’d love to keep the conversation going, so we also want to hear your own stories, thoughts, and experiences about mentoring in academia

Comments

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 32 ✭✭

Honestly Kakoli, this is THE best way to recognise the contributions of a mentor, be it academic/spiritual/philosophical/personal! It is important for us to be grateful and acknowledge a good mentor in every relationship that we involve in. Our parents and school teachers have been our very first mentors and still remain so (at least for me and I’m positive it must be so for others too(?)) and I am forever indebted and grateful to them from the bottom of my heart for this. This is a good platform for me to also acknowledge gratefully the mentorship that I am enjoying currently during my doctorate from my supervisor, who gives me the right to freedom of thought and speech, immense trust and understands me on my personal front as well, that helps me strike the right work-life balance (this combination-a rare quality in many PhD supervisors)

My 4 year gig as a lecturer brought out my passion for teaching and mentorship. Having been born into a lineage of teachers, I am blessed and fortunate to have been and continue to remain a good mentor who gives them only positive vibes and a personal godmother figure (my students say so, not me 😂 ) to some of my students who keep reaching out to me on a weekly basis to share experiences. We try to catch up on calls once a month to rev up and stay updated on our knoweldge-wisdom-skill journey. And what’s more, we vibe so perfectly well (this makes me vouch harder that age is just a number ;D) and I feel that frequency match is very important for a mentor to connect to their students/friends/anyone on an intellectual plane for that matter. This is mutually beneficial coz I get to indirectly improve on my emotional and spiritual intelligence, for the reasons that apart from being a mentor, I am also a student for life (in fact anyone with a childlike eagerness to learn, is a student for life).

I am more than eager to reach out to fellow mentors/colleagues here who vibe with me on this plane, who feel mentorship gives them that drive to make lives ever more meaningful!

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 262 admin

Thanks for sharing this @Kakoli Majumder Mentoring is one of the most important, yet understated, aspect of academia. To a great extent, what we know as academic culture is influenced by the role, contributions, expectations, and behavior of both mentors and mentees. It's a great idea to highlight mentorship on R Voice this month. @Gayatri Ramachandran - I found your passion for mentoring inspiring. I completely agree - a mentor makes a huge difference to a researcher's life. It's really nice to hear you have a great mentor. I can see the mentor in you shine! ☺️

• Gayatri Ramachandran
    Gayatri Ramachandran Member Posts: 32 ✭✭

Thank you@Jayashree Rajagopalan☺️. Would certainly love to hear how your life as a researcher was influenced by your mentor, in all perspectives as you see it. I'm sure there must be something pertinent in how it has helped shape you as a person. Probably there is something we can learn in the process, from your experiences!

• Kakoli Majumder
    edited January 19

Thanks @Gayatri Ramachandran for sharing your experiences both as a mentor and mentee. It's really important that we acknowledge and express our gratitude towards the mentors we have had at various stages in our lives. Our parents and teachers, sometimes even older siblings, friends, colleagues - people who have listened to us patiently, guided us by sharing their own experiences, and been our beacon of light at times when we've been frazzled, confused and struggling to discover the path we wish to take.

I'm so glad to know that your PhD supervisor is such an amazing mentor - it's great that you enjoy freedom, and trust, and understanding in this relationship. Having such an understanding mentor is a huge support in your PhD journey. I'm so happy to know that you share an equally wonderful relationship with your students. Mentoring relationships such as these are immensely nourishing experience - both for the mentor and mentee.

• Kakoli Majumder
  • Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Thank you @Kakoli Majumder for the tag. Mentoring can be the best thing that can happen to both the Mentee and the Mentor. The relationship is beneficial to both. I would not have survived the lockdown in 2020 if I didn't take part in the 2020 WIMBIZ mentoring program.

My selection for 2020 WIMBIZ Mentorship program in February 2020 increased my self-esteem and confidence. It came with a sparkle and in March 2020 i won an award "Celebrating 50 unseen African Women in Development" to celebrate International Women's Day. WIMBIZ mentorship program helped me to get more prayerful, organized in the area of family, work, balance, during the COVID - 19 pandemic and finished my Ph.D. course work at the end of June 2020 with very good grades (As and Honours). My Thesis proposal was approved in July. My Mentor Mrs. Roseline Nwayo did a good job sharing her career experiences and guided me on Emotional Intelligence, Leadership, and how to win friends (Networking). The various WIMBIZ webinars, i attended, did justice to making me a 'Smart Woman', kept me inspired, motivated and I found joy in the jungle.

• Kakoli Majumder

Wow! I'm so glad you shared this story @Adaora Anyichie - Odis and so happy that you got this opportunity. Having a good mentor can make such a huge difference to our lives. Do you also hope to become a mentor someday and help someone else on their research journey?

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
  • nada gh
    nada gh Member Posts: 5

Hi all,

As a researcher in her early stage, I value mentoring, and I think it is crucial in developing a different set of skills at professional and personal levels. As a researcher, I have much pressure to be independent, but it will be helpful to have knowledgeable and friendly people who can spare part of their time to listen without judgment. One essential skill for researchers is to master scientific writing. Through R voice mentoring, I got the opportunity to spot the light on my writing process. My mentor supports me with good tips and comments from her experience, continuing to learn. Much appreciation!.

• chris leonard
    chris leonard Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 156 admin
  • Wow

I never knew this is a national mentoring month.

Fortunate to be with so good academicians and mentors