The memories from my December break are still fresh :) — R Voice

The memories from my December break are still fresh :)

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 943 admin
edited January 4 in Personal Stories

Happy 2022 everyone! It's good to be back and catch-up on all your wonderful posts and comments. Special shout-out and congratulations to everyone who participated in the R Voice Academic Highlight special 🤩

I love the comments that have been pouring in on @chris leonard's latest post about what we're all looking forward to in the New Year. While I'm excited about 2022, I have to be honest -- I'm not over my Christmas break yet (lol). I'm sure I'm not the only one and so I'm starting this thread to share my fondest memories from my recent break. Besides, I made big promises to @Shruti Turner @Vivien Kretz and @Jayashree Rajagopalan for pictures from my time at the beach and I'm here to deliver 😃

Please ADD to this thread with pictures and memories from your own break. It could be anything that made you feel happy and at peace over the last 2 weeks 🙂

Starting with pictures from my time at the beach. I was able to visit 3 😎

Not forgetting some holiday season cheer 😍 My cat Stitches was quite well-behaved i.e., he was kind enough to not knock over the Christmas Tree 😄

And finally, a Wedding Toast Cupcake (I didn't know this was a thing until very recently) from one of the most beautiful weddings I've ever attended 💖

This post made me feel much better! And now it's your turn. Let's make this post a collection of our holiday memories 🙂

Comments

• chris leonard
    chris leonard Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 168 admin
    edited January 4

Family times for Christmas meal. [yes, I have my eyes shut - and yes, that is a Christmas cat pizza jumper].

• Andrea Hayward

Great picture @chris leonard! Love the fun hats and that spread looks delicious 🤩

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your pictures are stunning, @Andrea Hayward I feel I need to find you on Instagram to get a snippet more regularly!!

I don't really have many pictures from the break, it was all so hectic. Here is one my sister took of me and my husband, though...

I absolutely love the snow, but, unfortunately, I find it difficult. to get out in it due to my propensity to slip/trip and lack of balance thanks to my joints. It was on a family walk near where I great up and I was able to get out into the woodland and really felt at peace. Like I could forget the real-world for a little bit.

Over the past few weeks, whilst on my break, I've been quite reflective and starting to think about the bigger picture of my life. It has made coming back to work more difficult but it will stand me in good stead for the what's to come I think!

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner yes! We should be IG friends. DM-ing you my handle right now 😃 Also, welcome back and Happy 2022 to you and your family!

Thanks for sharing this picture with us. It's lovely! Your winter wear is both cute and chic. The beanie and the gloves are my favorite ❤️ Glad you were able to spend some time in nature over the break.

Coming back to work and really getting in to the groove has been tough on me too. Totally understandable though. Don't be too hard on yourself. As much as we'd love to have the whole month planned out in the first hour of our first day back at work, we really don't need to work that way. Give yourself more time. The pace will pick up and the productivity and other good things will come.

P.S. Something to live by - It's not backlog is you were on a break from work when the tasks/emails came in :)

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

I am late to the party but those beach pictures @Andrea Hayward .... aghgha absolutely beautiful! You live in such a beautiful corner of the world!

I think it is great that we all relish our holidays memories on here. @chris leonard 's attire makes me regret that I did not choose to buy another Christmas jumper this year. 😊

@Shruti Turner you are giving me very strong winter wonderland vibes and I LOVE IT! I am sorry that you are feeling not so well and even happier that you got to enjoy a walk like this. ❄️

I am grabbing the opportunity to share a picture of my Christmas puppy Tommy. He was such a good boy over the holidays and I miss him so much now that I have left my mom's place.

• Andrea Hayward

@Vivien Kretz so glad you like the pictures. Thank you for reminding me that I live in a beautiful corner of the world. I've been taking it for granted lately, and I really shouldn't

Tommy is such a beautiful boy! He reminds me of the little beagle I run into on my walks. I haven't been able to see him for over a week because my Mum's been unwell and we've been under home quarantine. I miss him :( Hopefully I get to see him soon!

Thank you for sharing this memory with us. It has really made my day 😊 Tommy's Christmas scarf is everything!

• Vivien Kretz

Hi @Andrea Hayward , it must be so hard to be in quarantine. I hope you can focus all of your energy on the amazing things you can do once you are out again. 😊 Enjoy every moment on those beautiful sceneries and beaches.

My head also turns every single time I see a Beagle. Tommy is our second beagle after my first boy Fox and every time I go out and see a beagle I am still like: "Omg he looks like Fox!".

• Andrea Hayward

LOL @Vivien Kretz "Omg he looks like Fox!" must sound so confusing to folks without the context you just gave me 😄

Yes, home quarantine has been really difficult. I'm just grateful that my Mum has recovered quickly and that she'll be back to her usual self soon. Being her room service person for more than a week has been mighty fun though 😅

• Vivien Kretz

Oh no, why am I imagining you making a huge feast in the kitchen and proceeding to scream "Order's up!".😂 I know how hard and especially exhausting it is to take care of someone, even if you love them so much. I really hope your mom recovers soon so you get more and more parts of your free time and life back.

• Shruti Turner

I'm sorry here too for my late response, @Andrea Hayward ! I think I have added you in IG. My handle is very cryptic (@ShrutiTurner) and public so hopefully you'll know it's me!

Haha - thank you. I have a tendency to get cold. I am rarely without gloves, hat and scarf..maybe even a jumper just in case. No matter the weather!

Thank you so much for the supportive words <3 As always, I can not express how much I appreciate them. I don't know what I'd be without you (still can't believe we haven't even met in person)!!

• Shruti Turner

Thank you!! I appreciate the supportive words :)

Also, I absolutely LOVE Tommy. He is adorable, I bet a cheeky little puppy...but I think I could forgive him anything!!

• Andrea Hayward

Hahaha your imagination is spot on here @Vivien Kretz 😂

Thank you so much for your kind words and wishes. It has been tough for sure. Not to mention, exhausting. And it's been a lot of extra work, so I've ended up neglecting myself and my own needs. But it's fine. Her recovery was the main part here so I'm happy and feeling much calmer now 🙂

P.S. I feel like the most difficult part was explaining to my cat why he couldn't see my Mum. He's not a fan of home quarantine lol

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner please stop apologizing. I'm sure the days of a new homeowner are packed. We'll happily take the time you give us 🤗

Yes! I follow you on IG now. I haven't had a chance to look at your profile yet. But please expect a string of likes when I do 😅

My hope for us meeting in person is still strong. I feel like if I picture us having coffee in a quaint café long enough, it'll just happen one day. So unexpectedly that it'll feel like deja vu when it does. LOL someone's feeling poetic today 😋

• Shruti Turner

Haha - okay, I'll try to stop @Andrea Hayward !! A terrible habit of mine..

Ah, no pressure to have a look at my profile at all. It's a bit of a mix of random things with A LOT of yoga..

I love this so much. I'm picturing a serendipitous meeting somewhere totally random - like changing flights or us both happening to be on holiday in the same place?! Maybe I'm just combining the want of meeting in person with my want of being on holiday?! I'm excited for the day.

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner Haha how does Greece sound? It's been on my bucket list forever!

• Shruti Turner

I am definitely up for Greece. I have to admit, that when I went to Athens I was a little disappointed (perhaps I was too young to appreciate it?) so maybe I nice remote island that you have to have a boat to get to? I'm a picky traveller..I like to explore the less well trodden areas away from tourists like myself 😂

It feels more poetic for our story too. Meeting somewhere unexpected...

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 319 admin
    edited January 19

Lovely photos @Andrea Hayward I know I almost nagged you to share photos. Glad you did. Love these as well as those on the gram. I am so happy you got this break - it was long due, more than overdue. (We HAVE to come up with a word for a superlative of "overdue" or "long overdue"...Duemax? No that sounds like the name of a shady credit card scheme. Overmax? No that sounds like a warning for exceeding a spending limit. Over-Overdue, or wait I got it - LONGVERDUE = something that has been long overdue! And the usage could be something like, "Hey Andrea. I'm glad you got this break it was really longverdue!" YASSS I love coining new words. I have already digressed dangerously, haven't I? Sorry (not sorry?). 😂

What a lovely photo @Shruti Turner Forget the deceptively easy-to-navigate snow, you both look awesome! It's such a nice memory and I hope you get to go on many of these nice walks. Looks like you're settling in.

@Vivien Kretz Tommy is such a beautiful puppy! I love how beagles attach themselves to you. My sister has one and I have so many LOL memories of his mischief. They're super sneaky in a nice way and persistent until we cave in to their demands. You must've had such a great time back home.

That looks like a lovely dinner @chris leonard - must've been nice to be able to gather with loved ones after long. Ah that Christmas jumper makes me day at our meetings 🙂

My break was longverdue too - I finally moved into my new home and every minute of every day was about boxing, unboxing, taping, loading, unloading, cleaning (again and again and again), rearranging (again and again and again), or buying basics for the new home. My photos are not as gorgeous as everyone else's but special to me. For the first time in life I set up and decorated my own house. 😍

Also a couple of photos of my cat Bira settling in quite smoothly.

More of Bira enjoying the new television here.😀

And here's the view from my balcony on most foggy, slightly chilly winter mornings.

• Vivien Kretz

Oh that poor little cat. 🥺 I hope that you guys get to enjoy a lot of beautiful moments with each other again soon.

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner WOW! You've already been to Greece. 😍 I've always had my heart set on Santorini. For now, I guess I'll continue to fantasize and watch Mark Weins episodes to get a good look at all the food I'll eat once I'm there

• Andrea Hayward

LOL @Jayashree Rajagopalan love the new term Longverdue. It's exactly what my vacation was! 😄

BIG milestone pictures here! Can't wait to see the finished home. I'm sure your creative, arty side will be reflected in a lot of the color and décor ❤️

• Shruti Turner

I have been very fortunate with my travels. I think though, Greece is a lot closer from the UK. You'll make it there I'm sure!

I've never been to Santorini, I know it's THE ONE you're meant to do. It always looks so beautiful in photos and movies. I'm too worried I'll be disappointed if I go and it doesn't live up to expectations. I'm so pessimistic - I'm sorry.

Ooh....food. I do love Greek food. You're making me hungry now....

• Shruti Turner

Firstly - I love the words you coin. They are longverdue being introduced to the English language!!

Secondly, what an exciting time for you moving house. Congratulations!! I totally relate to your holiday "schedule" - all excitement but lots of hard work with moving. I'm excited to hear how you settle. Bira looks settled already!

Also, that photo is beautiful of the fog. I'm sure in person it was even more atmospheric. Amazing.

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 341 admin
    edited January 19

Loving the pictures on this thread! They are so different and unique, yet so similar in spirit and the emotions they convey - love how the warm, beachy vibes of @Andrea Haywards pictures contrast with the chilly, foggy, ones of @Shruti Turner's and @Jayashree Rajagopalan's. @Vivien Kretz - Tommy is so adorable - he seems like the goodest little doggo. Stitches (that's Andrea's kitty) on the other hand seems to have some mischief up his sleeve (or paw :D) and Jayshree's Bira is insanely regal as always. 😍 Love @chris leonard's family picture and Jayashree's pictures of moving into her new home.

The highlight of my break was that my daughter was back from uni - and we were together as a family after nearly two years - here are some pictures!

• Kakoli Majumder

Let's keep this thread alive - it's so wonderful that we're posting pictures of such pleasant memories here - this makes us feel so much closer as a community. Would love to see pictures of your break @Omololu FAGBADEBO @Adaora Anyichie - Odis @Mdumiseni Mazula @Gayatri Ramachandran @Soumi Paul @Mohamed Samunn

• Mohamed Samunn
    Mohamed Samunn Member Posts: 17 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My December holidays were just spent at home for 2 reasons: 1. My son’s vaccination got delayed due to getting expert advice as he has got an underlying medical condition. 2. I did a bit of my PhD work during holidays.

In Singapore, one cannot enter a mall or a restaurant without being fully vaccinated. Our son’s vaccination came into full effect on 7 Jan 22. And these shots were taken on the 7th when we went for Friday Prayers and then to a restaurant for lunch after almost a period of 6 months.

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    edited January 19

These are the pictures of Erin Ijesa Waterfalls, Osun State, Nigeria. I was at the tourist center with a number of young people hiking. It was a memorable experience.

One thing at a time😍

• Kakoli Majumder

That's a lovely picture of your family @Mohamed Samunn! I have some friends in Singapore and I know how strict the COVID restrictions have been there. I have a few friends there and it's been a really lonely and frustrating time for them. I can imagine how liberating it must have felt to be eating out after 6 months! I hope you enjoyed your family time at home. 😊

The waterfall looks so amazing @Omololu FAGBADEBO! And the sun's rays on the water are making it look even more inviting. It's great that you did a hike - most of my travels over the past year have been to beaches and your pictures made me suddenly miss the hills. When I was in India, I would go hiking sometimes with my friends - it was always so refreshing! ☺️

• Andrea Hayward

@Kakoli Majumder AMAZING pictures 😍 They look good enough to be postcards. You're quite the photographer. Love the family-time pictures too. You guys look so happy and relaxed! ❤️

• Andrea Hayward

Woah! @Omololu FAGBADEBO I had no idea you were an adventurer! Such lovely pictures - green and serene 💚 I love that although they are static pictures, the waterfall adds an element of movement.

I imagine this was quite a difficult hike. How long did it take?

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

@Andrea Hayward , I love adventure so much. It's one of my hubbies! The video of the waterfalls is there. I am not sure if you were able to view it. It is the last one. You can just click on the link. It's on my google pictures. The mountain has 8 layers. It was a difficult one indeed!

One thing at a time😍