Goodbye 2021 & very warm welcome to 2022! — R Voice

Goodbye 2021 & very warm welcome to 2022!

chris leonard
chris leonard Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 156 admin

I think it's fair to say 2021 (much like 2020) has been one of the most challenging times to conduct academic research. If you were dependent on lab equipment, you were stuck in time of lockdown. If you liked hanging with your peers, that was also cancelled, at least in real life. So, can we be confident that 2022 will be different?

I'm an optimist by nature, so I certainly hope that the worst of hospitalisations and deaths from Covid are behind us. Many more people are vaccinated now, even though that is very patchy in a global sense. Plus, we have flexed to take lockdowns - if not in our stride - then at least we aren't scared about them anymore. We know what's involved.

So, if we can truly start to put Covid behind us in 2022, what are you looking forward to? I am missing my colleagues in India and would love to think I would see them again in real life in 2022. And then there's the World Cup in Qatar next December. Let's start looking forward with joy. What's on your calendar for 2022?

Comments

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 251 admin
    edited January 3

A very happy new year to all R Voicers! This is such a great thread to start the year with! True, we now know what to expect when cases increase and I think we're better prepared to tackle Covid this year. Also, historically, most pandemics have been known to last around 2.5 to 3.5 years, so that's another reason to be optimistic. I began my new year by watching the Harry Potter 20th anniversary reunion - it was simply amazing - and I'm really excited about the release of "Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore" 😀 and I hope I get to watch it in a movie theater 🤞

I also hope international travel gets a little easier this year - I've been lucky enough to be able to travel within Thailand, but I do look forward to visiting my family and friends living in other parts of the world.

@Omololu FAGBADEBO @Oladele Campbell @Soumi Paul @leonard waks @Kiran Kondru @Gustavo Arluna @Suman Mundkur @Vivien Kretz @Shruti Turner Would love to know what you're looking forward to this year.

• Kiran Kondru
    Kiran Kondru Member Posts: 8

Yeah, 2021 is a hard year for most of us. Especially doing research in an unpredictable environment. I'm still working from home :). This year I'm working on completing my PhD, and move to the next phase of my life. Not sure what the next phase would be, but hoping for the better.

Quoting from Tim Minchin from his famous "9 life lessons" video

"I never really had one of these dreams and so I advocate passionate, dedication to the pursuit of short-term goals. Be micro-ambitious. Put your head down and work with pride on whatever is in front of you. You never know where you might end up. Just be aware the next worthy pursuit will probably appear in your periphery, which is why you should be careful of long-term dreams. If you focus too far in front of you, you won’t see the shiny thing out of the corner of your eye."

https://www.englishspeecheschannel.com/english-speeches/tim-minchin-speech/

I'm trying to do that!! Being micro-ambitious.

• leonard waks
    leonard waks Member Posts: 5

I have a pretty open dance card at this point. I have passed on the editorship of Dewey Studies to my Associate editor. My three-year appointment as a distinguished professor ended on December 31. I have a couple of deadlines for journal articles and a few other irons in the fire. But mostly this year will be about tackling some of those ideas I have put on the back burner for too long.

I am organizing my work into seven six-week cycles with a one-week clean-up +prep week between each cycle. So seven seven-week sessions - 49 weeks leaving three open for the end-of-year holidays.

I have papers accepted for conferences in March and in April, so if these conferences are not canceled and it is possible to fly I hope to go from Portugal (where I live) to the United States in March and April. With any luck, I might also get to China, where I am scheduled to speak - also in April.

My goal is 7 items of work - book chapters, articles, or at least conference papers, by the end of the year.

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

Happy new year, @Kakoli Majumder and every member of this awesome family! I am optimistic that 2022 is a better year for us all. I was able to travel out of South Africa to join my family in Nigeria. Will be going back in a few days' time. I am looking forward to more international travelers this year.

One thing at a time😍

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 710 admin

2021 was the year of conference and workshop presentations for me. But because of the pandemic, I had to do them all virtually. I couldn't help but wonder what the experience would've been like, had I gotten the chance to travel to said conferences. What a year that would've been!

For 2022, if I have to make any conference presentations, I think I'd like the chance to deliver them in person. Or at least I hope I can. Is it really too much to want to make a presentation without my cat making a guest appearance? 😃😄

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

Thank you so much for starting this thoughtful thread @chris leonard .

In 2022, I am looking forward to further deepening my academic skills, hopefully some nice group projects, and un-learning my declining Covid-induced social skills.

I have always been a bit more introverted than extroverted and wanted to become hyper-independent. However, I realised that my social battery has become tinier than I would like it to be due to online learning. Covid forces us to become good at our own, which I somehow appreciate but I do not want my social skills to suffer under the circumstances of the pandemic.

I am looking towards a new lockdown in the Netherlands which makes me feel fearful to a point. However, as you already said, we know the drill now. Therefore, I try to remind myself of all the beautiful things I did during the last lockdown and how much I enjoyed my time despite lockdown with regular trips to the beach, nice coffee take aways and many FaceTime calls. 🌊And now that I am writing about it, I am way less fearful. 😊

• Vivien Kretz
  • Andrea Hayward

@Vivien Kretz "un-learning my declining Covid-induced social skills" - SO relatable. If you find an effective way to do this, please teach me. I've reached a point where I can't even go out or be around people 2 weekends in a row, let alone 2 nights in a row. It seems unthinkable. I made up an excuse to skip New Year's Eve plans too (lol). I was happy to stay home in my PJs. 😅

• Andrea Hayward

Happy New Year @Omololu FAGBADEBO! So happy to hear that you were able to travel and spend time with your family. I trust that they're all doing well 🙂

I second and support your optimism for 2022. I hope that more people get a chance to see their loved ones and friends ❤️

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

Happy new year,@Andrea Hayward. Thank you. Everyone is doing well. Much appreciated.

One thing at a time😍

• Andrea Hayward

@Kiran Kondru The way I see it, the next phase is one in which we all call you Dr. Kondru 😃

• Vivien Kretz

This is definitely a mood. I relate so much! I will let you know how things go and if I find a secret weapon. :)

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 251 admin

This is such a timely nugget of inspiration @Kiran Kondru! Our life has never been more uncertain, and for many of us, it may seem pointless to have longer term plans or goals in a world where we no longer have control over how things might shape up even tomorrow. I think it's a brilliant piece of advice to be micro-ambitious" and focus on investing your best efforts in the task you're currently doing. Thank you for sharing this - this will be my mantra for the coming year! :)

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 262 admin

Hi everyone! I am probably the last one to join the conversation - I began my official new year later than everyone else here. But it's so much fun this way - I get to see what everyone said before me!

2021 was much harder than expected for me. I continued working remotely. While the mind learned to adapt and anticipate the isolation of lockdowns, the social part of me craved some interactions with close friends and family. One thing I regret not being able to do in 2021 was enrol for dance lessons (in a classroom, not virtual). I hope that changes this year. On the positive side, I had some great times at work (meaning R Voice) and also achieved a big personal milestone - I bought my own house. I moved on Christmas day and ushered the new year in from a messy but warm home. It's a slightly surreal feeling - owning your own house and I hope I settle down to accepting it in 2022. The biggest one...I am desperately sending my travel wishes to the universe at large...I really want to be able to travel and explore new places once again this year.

@chris leonard - here, take these positive manifestations to make your FIFA world cup seats at Qatar a reality. @Kakoli Majumder I didn't know you were a Potterhead! I watched the reunion too and felt like a Hogwarts alumna haha 😂 And happy new year to you!

I love the concept of being micro-ambitious @Kiran Kondru - wish you the best for completing your PhD. Maybe your micro-ambition is that PhD...the next phase of your life will always be around the corner. Wish you a happy 2022!

@leonard waks your way of organizing your work and goals for the year is very inspiring. If you have the time, I'd like to know how you segmented the items of work and how you factored the unexpected requests and demands of personal life in. I do hope you get to go to States and travel to China...should be a welcome break from the fully virtual life. Happy 2022 to you!

@Omololu FAGBADEBO Happy new year! I am glad to hear you were able to spend time with your family. It's always great to get some high-quality family time. I hope your wish of international travels is granted this year, too.

@Andrea Hayward I've seen you prep for the talks in 2021 and I too hope you get to do an in-person talk this year. Take me along - I'll be your cheerleader...a good one! Happy 2022 🤗

I really like the way you articulated your own nature @Vivien Kretz - to a great extent, we have all been pushed to test the limits of our own inclination for social interactions. Good luck with learning new skills and growing as a researcher. And all those beach trips, coffees, and FaceTime sessions sound lovely. Wish you a very social, extroverted, and independent 2022!