What're you asking Santa for this Christmas? — R Voice

What're you asking Santa for this Christmas?

Kakoli Majumder
Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 251 admin
edited December 2021 in Everything & Anything

Christmas is almost here, and if Santa can work around those travel bans and COVID tests and make his way to your doorstep, what's the one gift you'd ask him for? Would you ask him for a thesis like this guy here? Or would you wish for a research grant? Or perhaps, you'd seek his help in getting your paper accepted? Put down your Christmas wish in the comments section below. Who knows, Santa might just chance upon it and decide to make it true for you! :)

Comments

• chris leonard
    chris leonard Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 156 admin

Is it too materialistic to say Apple earbuds? It is? OK then, how about "a peaceful and restful time for all involved in research". 2022 needs you to be happy, rested and eager to tackle the new year - so don't push through the holiday period.

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 262 admin

Good one @Kakoli Majumder. I hope you get those Apple earbuds @chris leonard 😀

My wish would be for a more peaceful, more connected new year for everyone. It has been a while since we've all been pushed to isolated corners and forced to adapt to a new normal. My wish is for us to experience the true power of human connections and relationships digital or offline, so that we get to grow and thrive. Is that too vague? Oh and a little magical overnight weight loss will always be the perfect gift ever. 🤐

Whenever you are around @Andrea Hayward @Omololu FAGBADEBO @Oladele Campbell @Soumi Paul @Shruti Turner @Isurika Sevwandi @Dahlia T I'd like to hear what you would want from Santa.

• Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Thanks, @Jayashree Rajagopalan for adding me to this thread. Actually, my wish is to blow the pandemic away so I can graduate for my masters which I am eagerly waiting for about a year now. Knowing that my junior batch is about to graduate after waiting for two years next February (as the general convocation is scheduled again for the third time after two cancellations), I wish if Santa can make it happen without spoiling the dream of my juniors. Otherwise, it is definitely going to add up to the list of nightmares since their dreams on convocation has literally crushed twice and no more repetitions, please🙏

• Soumi Paul
    Soumi Paul Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭

I want my family to be healthy, peacefully finish my Ph.D. by next year, and get a job. I don't know if Santa really can help me or not. But if he really knows some magic then at least keep my family healthy and safe whether I am around or not!

Happy Christmas! ☺️

May everyone's wishes come true!🎅

Communication is the key to thriving! 😊

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

@Soumi Paul what a beautiful and genuinely loving wish! I am sure Santa will make sure you and your loved ones are safe wherever you and they are, that you are all healthy and well, that you finish your PhD with a lot of confidence, and find a job that makes you happy and employs your skills best. I'll ask Santa on your behalf too. Lots of love for you! 💚

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

A very practical wish @Isurika Sevwandi Perhaps a lot of us have already asked Santa to make the pandemic go away so we can resume life as we knew it and live without so much fear, anxiety, and uncertainty. I also think it's high time we all started interacting with people - sometimes I fear that I might have forgotten the basics of interaction like handshakes! I hope you get to have a great graduation ceremony and your juniors also get the convocation they've all been waiting for. I missed my Master's convocation because it was happening in Australia and I was back home in India. Here's to great dreams being fulfilled and to your hopes not being crushed.

• Isurika Sevwandi

Thanks a lot, @Jayashree Rajagopalan for your hearty wish! I also have the same fear of missing the unconditional physical relationships I shared with my friends during my undergraduate period. There was so much warmth and sensational memories that could never be replaced by techy relationships that we continue to have these days. Fingers crossed for the graduation ceremony!

• Soumi Paul

@Jayashree Rajagopalan Thank you so much! I hope all your wishes come true! 😊

• Kakoli Majumder

I hope Santa gave you those apple earbuds 😂. And I'm hoping, like you, that all involved in research and academia are having a guilt- free and restful break😊

• Kakoli Majumder

Couldn't agree with you more @Isurika Sevwandi! I think blowing away the pandemic will top the list of Christmas wishes this year for Santa😏.

And I hope you and your juniors get your convocation. My son didn't get his for his Bachelors and now he's desperately wishing he doesn't lose out on the one scheduled for his Masters later this year. These celebrations mean so much for students...so many dreams and so much of hard work goes into it...I hope students around the world get to celebrate that final moment of joy and pride this year.

• Kakoli Majumder

It's my appeal to Santa too to keep my loved ones healthy. It's so hard when a family member is unwell and you cannot be with them due to travel bans. These two years have been a hard time for everyone, but especially for families that are not together geograhically. I hope Santa is listening and like Isurika said, is able to blow the pandemic away.

• Isurika Sevwandi

Definitely, @Kakoli Majumder , and I love the way you have sensed the feeling of pride and joy of graduates as a mom☺️😍 I am pretty sure you have witnessed the tremendous efforts behind a garland and a graduation cap (though we do not wear a cap at our university) and I love that you are wishing it for all the graduates and for those who are on the way for their graduation equally!😊

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 710 admin

@Isurika Sevwandi I am so on board with this lovely wish and I really hope that it happens for you 😃 Fingers and toes crossed for you!

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 710 admin

@Kakoli Majumder thanks for starting this thread. I've just been through the comments and they're all such lovely Christmas wishes. I think the one thing I'd want to ask Santa for is for everyone to be safe in 2022 and for no new variants to take the world by storm (I know this might sound farfetched with how everything is going at the moment, but I can still wish for it, can't I?) 😅

• Soumi Paul

@Kakoli Majumder Thank you for your prayers! 😊 I hope your wishes, too come true! 😊

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the shout out @Jayashree Rajagopalan - I am super super late to the party as I was taking a break over Christmas and being very strict with myself about anything that could tempt me to think about/do work. I asked Santa for a job/job security and to my great surprise, he delivered (at the beginning of January, but he can't be on time for everyone!). In a way that was somewhat unexpected, and means I have a lot of thinking to do about what I want and where I want to go. I guess really, that's my own fault for not being specific enough!

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

Hi @Shruti Turner Guess who's beat you at being late to the party! I only resumed work this Monday after a long long break. Ah isn't it exciting when Santa delivers? Well, I am going to be an optimist here and say "WHOA congratulations!" On the brighter side, having a choice is a great place to be in compared to the other way around. Good luck with your decision making and good decision to be disciplined about your break. Welcome back 🤗

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back, @Jayashree Rajagopalan ! I hope you had an excellent long break.

Thank you so much for your congratulations. It means a lot. Still making the decisions (so much so - I started a thread on R Voice about it!!). I have time, so I'm just waiting a bit longer and keeping my options open. I'm sure something will work out...to many is better than no options!