Time to write those out-of-office emails :-) Want some humorous inspiration? Take a look at these! — R Voice

Time to write those out-of-office emails :-) Want some humorous inspiration? Take a look at these!

Jayashree Rajagopalan
Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 262 admin
edited December 2021 in Everything & Anything

It's FINALLY time for me to frame my annual OOO (out-of-office) email response for the year-end holidays. 😎 I wanted to do something different this year and looked online for inspiration. I was both surprised and amused by what I found - some great examples of OOO humor. Here, take a look ☺️

These really cracked me up. 😂 While I may not actually go ahead and frame something as snarky or hilarious, I confess I am sorely tempted to do so. ✍️✍️✍️

So what does your OOO response look like @Shruti Turner @Omololu FAGBADEBO @vicky dariano @Vivien Kretz @Abdirisak Mohamed Abdillahi @Kiran Kondru @Soumi Paul @Isurika Sevwandi @Rupkamal Sarma @Asli Telli @Hong Ching Goh @Oladele Campbell @Neltah Mosimanegape @Parul Nigam @Yufita Chinta (if you're not OOO yet 🙂)

Tagged:

Comments

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

@Jayashree Rajagopalan, honestly, I have never written an OOO in my entire working life 🙈. But I have read some. And my problem is that will this actually work for me because those who have OOO would always respond to my emails when it has to do with a "pressing" matter🤣. So, thinking of an OOO is like an upheaval task for me🤣🤣🤣. Nevertheless, I would have something like this,

"Sorry for not meeting me at my space now, I am off the table to attend to a more pressing matter. If there is any need for an emergency, sniff around for my location".

One thing at a time😍

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this thread! One day I wish to have the wit and confidence to go for an "out there" OOO message. I think the emoji one is great...who needs words these days?!

I think my favourite is my supervisor's...it's the same every time and what makes it better is that I don't think it was planned that way. It reads something like "I am currently on leave with limited access to emails I will be back on my return". No dates or anything, the people who need to know when she will be back, know anyway!!

• Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Similar to @Omololu FAGBADEBO I have never written any OOO message in my lifetime, nor have I created an auto-responder in my email. Yet, after seeing what was shared by @Jayashree Rajagopalan which contains one-of-a-kind humor and workplace banter, I might create something like this.

"Know that you actually do not need my opinion, assistance, approval, or consent to this particular thing you are referring to, but it is nice to know that you thought of informing this to me. Yet, I am off to something exciting rather than your urgency so I would get back to you whenever I get my head out of this emergency"

Do not know whether it makes sense to you🤣

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

Thank you so much for these hilarious OOO message ideas @Jayashree Rajagopalan. Similarly to @Shruti Turner and @Omololu FAGBADEBO, I never had to write an OOO message in my life. However, now I am prepped for those days to come and l definitely cannot wait to use the "If it's an emergency, no, it's not." 😂Over my short work experience time span, I have worked with many people who thought they were all that and sometimes, it is nice to lowkey let people know that that behaviour isn't creating an amazing work atmosphere.

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

I apologise, of course I meant to tag @Isurika Sevwandi . @Shruti Turner thankfully already had the pleasure to deal with these messages.

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 251 admin

Loving this thread! I literally laughed out load when I read these! I'm actually in the process of writing my OOO at this moment and I'm sorely tempted to use one of these. But then on second thoughts, these might be a bit much, so here's a slightly toned down version:

"I'm currently OOO and probably chilling on a beach, so please expect a delay in my responses. In case you feel there's anything urgent, please reconsider the urgency."

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

Let's make writing an OOO one of your 2022 resolutions @Omololu FAGBADEBO so that you get to tell everyone you are on a well-deserved break. ☺️ And that's a nice message for a first-timer! I actually visualized Tintin's dog Snowy adorably sniffing the ground like he always does. Imagine having people dispatch teams to look for us when we don't reply during our OOO breaks! 🙄

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

I look forward to reading an out-of-the-box OOO autoresponder from you @Shruti Turner Feel free to consider me a snarkometer to test it out whenever you get to writing one. I've been told I outdo myself many times on snarkiness, and this sounds like fun. 🙊

The emoji one is great, isn't it? I liked it too. But I also went, "Hey, why didn't I come up with that?"

I think your supervisor's really clever - just gently saying, this is MY time and I will get back to you in MY time. And yeah, you're right, people who need to know will know once she's back.

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

Knowing you @Kakoli Majumder I can well believe how tempted you are to write up a witty OOO. Perhaps, when we catch up offline some day, you could tell me what your options were. 🤭

I LOVE this toned down version! "reconsider the urgency" is classic!

I'm currently OOO and probably chilling on a beach, so please expect a delay in my responses. In case you feel there's anything urgent, please reconsider the urgency.

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

Ah @Vivien Kretz I will send you positive, manifesting thoughts - so you get to proudly declare that you are taking time off and would not like to be called in for work emergencies that really aren't emergencies at all. ☺️

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

A great attempt for a first-timer @Isurika Sevwandi. Your wit and humor are on point! I've read your OOO response again and again and I laugh each time. I love it!

• Soumi Paul
    Soumi Paul Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭

I had no idea OOO could be this humorous! It's a good thread! 😊

Communication is the key to thriving! 😊

• Kiran Kondru
    Kiran Kondru Member Posts: 8

This thread cracked me up. I too, never thought of writing an OOO. I thought it was only for those western disciplined working people who take their vacation seriously by not logging into their emails accounts. If I had to write an OOO, it might look like this:

"I'm taking time off from work; I will be back in a week."

But what I want to write would look something like this:

"Hi... I'm out of the office...Going on an adventure...will be back sometime in the near future ;)

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

@Kiran Kondru your OOO is fantastic. Reminds me of Dr. Strange or a character from a magical realism masterpiece. And the vagueness of "sometime in the near future" sounds very (not) promising and meets the purpose. Also, if you haven't yet thought about using OOO notifications yourself, this is my self-care wish for you in 2022 - that you take a well-deserved break, proudly set up this notification, and most important of all - stay true to your break by not checking email! I look forward to hearing your story about how this went for you. 🙂