Self-care bingo: How many can you cross off? β€” R Voice

Self-care bingo: How many can you cross off?

Vivien Kretz
Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

This year, I created this self-care bingo that includes one or two things that we might count as self-care and others we might have never thought about as a skill to acquire.

I would love to hear how many boxes you can tick off. And which of them are you most proud of? 😊

Let's take these skills and habits into the holiday season to look after ourselves, too! β˜€οΈ

Comments

• Vivien Kretz

I am currently at 12 boxes and the one I am definitely most proud of is "saying no". ☺️

I really find it insanely hard to say no because I often get too lost in people pleasing. Still now, I catch myself avoiding conflict. I am sure it is a process.

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 251 admin

I'm so glad you shared this @Vivien Kretz. Made me realize how much I need to focus on self-care. Being a working mum, a single child, and married to someone who's a single child, my life has revolved around taking care of others - my kids, my parents, my in-laws. When the kids moved out, I consciously started thinking about myself and doing things I love, and I've definitely ticked a few things off my bucket list. I've also started taking care of my health, eating and sleeping well, but your post made me realize that there are so many other little things that I could have done. Thanks for sharing this - I'll definitely add a few of these to my new year resolutions! :)

I could tick off just 5 boxes:

1. Cancelled plans (Not sure if this counts as it was due to family emergencies each time)
    2. Taken myself on a date (Several times actually, and to really pretty places😁)
    3. Not answered my messages for multiple days (Happens whenever I'm swamped with workπŸ˜…)
    4. Binge-watched past midnight (Schitt's Creek and This is Us - bingewatched both like crazy πŸ˜‚)
    5. Had a deep philosophical conversation with friend (Something that I do quite often - with people I'm close to)
  • Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 251 admin
  • Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Another BINGO!πŸ˜‹ LOVE THIS FORMAT!

Thanks to @Vivien Kretz for creating this list and illustration and @Kakoli Majumder for inviting me to respond.

These are the things that I can tick off, sadly nothing much as I was also having a lot on my plate for the last few months, draining and compromising my mental satisfaction for a huge workload.

Canceled plans but it was due to additional work intake, obviously, so this does not count and I know it 🀣

Excused yourself for some "Quiet Time" - I intentionally took leave for nothing but to regain my energy after finishing a few projects

Not answered your messages for multiple days - thought of switching my notifications off for emails as people so badly demand quick responses and I was drowning in an ocean of emails last few months. Sometimes I miss my friends and family commitments and I find myself prioritizing emails among other social media apps and having the fear of missing out on many family events.

Lied that you "had other plans" to get out of a meet-up - actually, this was not to avoid a meetup but to justify my leave noticeπŸ˜… and work means a lot of one-on-one meetups

Written a gratitude list - this felt really soothing to reflect on the day and feel gratitude for being alive in this state of mindπŸ˜€

Texted or emailed someone when they ask you to call - does this all the time and encounter both pros and cons

Napped for an entire afternoon - did this a few days ago after having a long shower just to feel releive after working for long hours at home 😴

Journaled - do this every day to re-cap the day

xoxo

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 710 admin

I have to echo @Isurika Sevwandi's sentiments here and say "YAYYY! Another BINGO" 🀩

Thanks for taking the time to create this @Vivien Kretz. I decided to do this the traditional way. Here are the boxes I could tick off - 9 in total πŸ˜ƒ

The ones I feel most proud about are "Said no and stood up for myself" and "Lied that I had other plans to get out of a meet-up". I know that the second one might not sound like something to be proud of, but it really means a lot to me. I was meant to attend a social gathering and just the thought of being around other people in a closed space (during the pandemic) was making me shudder and feel very afraid and anxious. I felt like I had no choice but to lie my way out of it because my friend wouldn't accept the real reason. I don't think I'd have done this before and I felt calm and at peace the minute I did it. It was something that I needed to do for myself and I'm glad that I did it πŸ™‚

• Kiran Kondru
    Kiran Kondru Member Posts: 8 ✭

Thanks, @Kakoli Majumder for inviting me in. This is kind of fun and made me introspect for a while.

Here are the boxes that I rounded off

1. Taken yourself on a date: went to a restaurant and had a soup
    2. Meditated? I do this regularly, otherwise, it will be too much to handle...
    3. Wore headphone!! yes, especially while waiting for something
    4. Ordered takeout! Yep, maybe I'm a foodie
    5. Binge-watched!! Yes, I think that's why Netflix existed in the first place :)
    6. Journalled? yes, It's the best thing to do for a clear mind

The rest, let's say I'm working on... still!!

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 262 admin

Yayyyy bingo time (Thanks @Andrea Hayward for starting the trend) @Vivien Kretz...this one is so self-reflective and on point - thanks for creating it. LOVE the colors and shading. But I think I digress.

Here's my list of self-care. I used red ink for a couple of things I had in fact promised myself I would do but failed miserably at them. Being a people pleaser and someone who naturally tends to put other people's needs before my own out of a compulsive sense of duty, I find it very difficult to do things just for myself. The things I've marked here show me I have improved a bit compared to 2020. But I think the biggest step for me will be when I begin to be fine with saying no to toxic people and relationships that are energy takers or don't deserve my time or energy. Perhaps I might make this my resolution for 2022. I might need a self-care accountability partner to help remind me of my own resolution to practice self-care especially when I need it most. But, hey, having said all that...I am rather proud of myself for being able to check many boxes here. So there is hope for me after all.

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

Thanks, @Vivien Kretz for creating this, and to @Kakoli Majumder, for the invite. I will tick the following boxes:

1. Canceled plans
    2. Meditated
    3. Lied that "you had other plans" to get out of a meet-up
    4. Woke up early to enjoy the silence
    5. Napped for an entire afternoon

One thing at a time😍

• Vivien Kretz

Hi Kakoli, thank you so much for your lovely insight into your bingo.

I find it so interesting how you pointed out that both you and your husband are single children. How do you think that has impacted your life and how you take care of others? I would love to learn more about it as I am partially an only-child as well. (I am saying 'partially' because my family history is a bit complicated haha)

It must be such a huge shift from having your children around 24/7 to them living on another continent. That definitely needs some adjusting but definitely opens up doors to new possibilities.

I am happy to inspire you a little bit on your way to self-care and a strong relationship with yourself. πŸ’

Taking yourself on dates is one of the highest forms of self-care! β˜•οΈ Well done!

It is great that you already have a number of ticked off boxed and there are for sure a lot more to come!

• Vivien Kretz

Thank you so much for these amazing insights @Isurika Sevwandi !

Those are lovely ticked off boxes. I really wish for you that one day you can also cancel plans for your own sake and your own battery and not because you had to prioritise something else over it. You deserve it.

I am so happy that you already keep a gratitude list and journal! Those are amazing skills to have! ✍️

• Vivien Kretz

I am glad @Andrea Hayward that you realised as well that sometimes, a white lie to protect yourself might not be a bad thing.

My mom always told me about it when I was younger and I was reluctant to understand that it could be beneficial to do something like that, according to my moral standards.

Sadly, we are not always surrounded by people who will understand our needs and the fact that we have a social battery, but rather will expect us to 'function'. I am sorry that you had to encounter exactly a situation like this. I hope that the people you surround yourself will understand if you explain it to them.

And if not, protecting yourself always stands over pleasing other people's expectations. 😊

• Vivien Kretz

Hi @Kiran Kondru ! So nice to meet you! β˜€οΈ

I love how meditation is part of your routine, it is such a beneficial and helpful skill to have.

And for the rest: Well done! You definitely know how to savour life in between your favourite shows and delivered food and I am happy to read that. πŸ₯‘☺️

• Vivien Kretz

Hi @Jayashree Rajagopalan, thank you so much for your compliment, it means a lot to me that the bingo looks nice as I am a person who THRIVES on aesthetics. πŸͺ΄

And thank you so much for sharing your bingo!

I totally get that it might feel not important or not worthy to put yourself first in your life along the lines of self care. I lived like this for a large part of my life and sometimes, I still do. I totally understand.

In these moments, I try to remember that you can only be there for other people (which definitely is an amazing intention) if you take care of yourself. If your leg is wounded, you cannot rush fast enough to save someone else.

I have a picture on my wall that says: Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm. Your intentions are noble, but you are just as important to be taken care of and protected as any other person in your life. πŸ’™ You are someone, too. And that someone is the most important person in your life. The person you wake up with, fight every fight with, enjoy every nice moment with and fall asleep with.

I am super impressed by the goals you set for yourself and how ambitioned you are to grow in terms of self-care. I could read the determination through your words. And I totally agree: You should be proud of all the amazing boxes you already ticked off. Those are so so much already. ⭐️

• Vivien Kretz

Thank you so much for sharing your list @Omololu FAGBADEBO ! I am glad that you already have so many wins in terms of self-care. 😊 Especially "woke up early to enjoy the silence" is impressive to me.

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

One thing at a time😍

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 262 admin

Thanks @Vivien Kretz I am certainly determined to get better at placing myself before others. Let's see how this goes now 😊

• Andrea Hayward

Thank you for validating my experience @Vivien Kretz! It really means a lot to me. And I couldn't have said it better myself - "Protecting yourself always stands over pleasing others and meeting their expectations". This is something I'm going to be more aware of in 2022 and try to stick to it as much as possible. Thanks for the timely reminder πŸ€—

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

13 of them πŸ˜€

• Andrea Hayward

@Adaora Anyichie - Odis Wow, that's great! I think 13 is the most number of boxes any of us were able to tick off. I'm so glad to learn that you're now able to spend more time on self-care 😊😊