Where has 2021 gone? - taking a step back to reflect — R Voice

Where has 2021 gone? - taking a step back to reflect

Shruti Turner
Shruti Turner Member Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭

This year feels like it has gone in a whirlwind. Between the pandemic and the end of my PhD, straight into a post-doc position and manuscripts being published, I just don't know where time has gone. Not even 3-4 months ago I was worrying about my final corrections being accepted for my PhD, I had not had any manuscripts published this year and I was feeling very lost. I didn't feel settled in my job or that I had anything to show for the exhaustion I felt.

I can't believe how fortunate I am to have had the ends tied up in 2021. It's crazy how with a small flurry of successes the hardships seem to be so distant again. I anticipate that the year ahead will be tough in its own ways, I have to find a job if I'm to stay in research/academia and I have lots of data to analyse and then write up. There is a plan somewhere but for right now, I am trying to remind myself to take a step back and acknowledge what I have achieved this year before worrying about what I have to do next year.

Thank you to @Andrea Hayward for setting up the original thread and making the badge!

Comments

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 262 admin

What a great academic highlight @Shruti Turner You have had an eventful year - in the nicest way. This highlight, I understand, has years of prep and hard work behind it. You ought to celebrate it as much as you can 🍾 I especially love what you said

I anticipate that the year ahead will be tough in its own ways...There is a plan somewhere but for right now, I am trying to remind myself to take a step back and acknowledge what I have achieved this year before worrying about what I have to do next year.

This is such a great and positive way - for all of us - to assimilate everything that's transpired and anticipate some aspects of what we choose to explore next.

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 251 admin

Wow @Shruti Turner! What a fabulous academic highlight to share! It must be such a wonderful feeling to be officially "Dr. Shruti Turner!" And to have published 4 papers already - I remember how you'd shared just a few months ago that you've published your first paper....and to have published 3 more in such a short time! You amaze and inspire me every day! You've worked really hard to achieve all of this and I'm glad you're planning to take a step back and acknowledge your achievements. It's important to take time out to celebrate yourself and all that you've done over the past year. ❤️

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

So impressive @Shruti Turner ! This is a lot of AMAZING academic highlights at once. Congrats on becoming Dr. Turner! Such an amazing milestone that you had in 2021. I am sure that you had to face arduous moments, but the outcome is so worth all your efforts. Huge congrats! I totally agree with @Kakoli Majumder , really take time out to celebrate this beautiful achievement. 🎊

• Shruti Turner

Thank you so much @Jayashree Rajagopalan. I now need to live by what I said! I find I spend so much of my time wondering about the next thing and what to achieve/do next that I forget to take a step back to really see how far I've got to at this point.

I think there is a quote that sums it up much better than my ramblings, something about climbing a mountain and admiring the view from where you are and not just the top. I don't think I'm making it up?!

• Shruti Turner

Thank you @Kakoli Majumder - your words of support and encouragement mean so much to me. I really don't know how it all came together so quickly. I am really looking forward to taking some time away from work to reflect. I love that @Andrea Hayward started this idea of a highlights badge, I don't think I would have taken that step without it!

• Shruti Turner

Thank you so much for your wishes and understanding. It really was a tough time, but I'm so glad to have made it through to this side of the PhD!