Reflecting on my academic highlight in 2021 — R Voice

Reflecting on my academic highlight in 2021

Isurika Sevwandi
Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Being a kind of introverted kid, student and undergraduate, I never thought that I would be able to interact with an international learning community, share my thoughts, bring new perspectives to the discussion table, raise my questions, put forward my arguments, and work collaboratively on a single canvas in the fortune of seeing a better future for human raise in terms of sustainable urbanism. SAPPD Summer Camp initiated by the Institute of Technology, Bandung, Indonesia was a virtual program that was conducted around two months' time but that virtual breakout room was literally a room for growth. I learned from peers, learned to actively listen and immediately recall and document what I learned, and especially to think out of the box knowing that one size fits in all models would never work for unique urban settings in the global south.

It was so rewarding to find that my efforts and commitments as an international participant are recognized by the teaching panel. Hard work definitely pays off!😊🤗😊

Comments

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 710 admin

@Isurika Sevwandi congratulations on this amazing win and thank you for telling us the journey behind it! 🤩

I am so happy for you! I'd also like to add that it seems as though imposter feelings have taken quite a beating along your journey. I hope you continue to shoo them away and achieve many more things that you have planned ☺️

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

Wow @Isurika Sevwandi! The list of the amazing skills you acquired during this experience is so long and extensive! I am really impressed. It can be so hard to come out of the shell as an introvert, but you definitely succeeded and did an awesome job! This must have been such an amazing experience and I am happy that you can count it as a huge win of 2021.

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 251 admin

Wow @Isurika Sevwandi! It's wonderful to know that you've had such an immersive experience at the summer camp - it must be so rewarding to be able to engage with an international community and also be able to add value to the discussions! Congratulations!

• Isurika Sevwandi

Thank you so much @Andrea Hayward for always backing me whenever I share something and for all the love and support you spread on this platform. Yes, I've got a bunch of plans for next year too, and let's see whether I would be able to execute them as planned. Whatever happens, I will keep you posted.

• Isurika Sevwandi

Thanks a lot @Vivien Kretz and I hope this is the first time I am communicating with you but appreciate your warm wishes and it means a lot. I am so happy how even strangers can encourage you to appreciate your wins and fuel your strength to achieve much more. Hope we can have more meaningful conversations ahead!🤗

• Isurika Sevwandi

I am glad about this immersive experience as correctly mentioned by @Kakoli Majumder because I never thought I would be strong enough to interact with such a diverse student cohort with different educational and cultural orientations but it was the most exciting part of it as I was learning from my peers and they did the same. Hope I can harness those interpersonal skills further in 2022 and looking forward to many more similar opportunities☺️

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 251 admin

Often, we ourselves are our worst critic. I'm glad this experience made you reach your potential and see how much you are capable of! I hope you continue to believe in yourself - whenever you face imposter feelings in the future, look back on how much you achieved at this camp and tell yourself you can do it! ❤️

• Isurika Sevwandi

Thank you @Kakoli Majumder I will definitely try this tip. I think it will stimulate me to acknowledge my potentials, convincing me that I have done challenging things so can continue the same in the future too.

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 710 admin

No thanks needed @Isurika Sevwandi. Celebrating each others' achievements and wins is what makes R Voice so special and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'll wait to hear more about your future plans (will keep the pom poms ready 😉)

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 262 admin

@Isurika Sevwandi congratulations on this achievement. I have followed your progress on LinkedIn and can see how you are slowly growing as a, academic, a professional, and an individual. I also feel secretly proud and in my head I go "I know her. I know this enterprising person!" 🙂 I can understand that it must have been extremely hard for you to put yourself out there and make the effort to step outside your comfort zone as an introvert. The virtual program sounds both challenging and so exciting. It's really cool that you are brave and constantly focusing on improving yourself, doing something new, and inventing new ways to grow. I am so happy we have you on R Voice. Here's to a great 2021 that has (almost) passed for you and a new year that is even more promising and full of new growth prospects. I look forward to some more amazing conversations with and discussions from you here on R Voice. Keep sharing your achievements and milestones with us. We love to hear about them and will always be your cheerleaders and supporters. 🤗 🤗 🤗 🤗

• Isurika Sevwandi

This makes me feel touched @Jayashree Rajagopalan 😊 I am so happy about your lovely words and great to see that you were secretly following on my journey. Actually, I started using LinkedIn a few years ago but did not put myself out there being an introvert 🙄 even though I had much to share. Recently only I realized that there are so many potential opportunities on the internet (thanks to pandemic I learned to surf the internet for career opportunities than I did previously) and I would say my productivity 2xed last year in terms of attending international virtual programs, conferences, and webinars both as a participant and as a presenter. Now I have understood that I need to grab these opportunities ore of which are freely available and enhance my skills rather than just focussing on feeding myself with knowledge. Hope to share more exciting news next year too! Much love 💖

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

Yes, we are all here to encourage each other. I am happy I could join in on this. You really accomplished something amazing and I am glad to cheer you on! 😊