Ready for a break - let's end on a high! — R Voice

Ready for a break - let's end on a high!

Shruti Turner
Shruti Turner Member Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2021 in Personal Stories

It's been a several weeks since I've sat down and really been part of the community here on R Voice. I come back and feel I have so much to catch up on from you all! In this past week I have been moving house from London to Edinburgh, on top of trying to juggle work. (Yes, I did take leave but also..I didn't use it properly because a paper revision came in...but ignoring that blip) I feel so exhausted but so happy for this chapter, and it's nice to feel that way from something that isn't my research. Don't get me wrong..all of that stress is there still but it felt good to have something else at the forefront of my mind of a little bit!

So, I'd love to hear from you as we reflect towards the end of the year - what good things have happened in your life this year that has meant you can forget about work for a little bit?

Pictures are encouraged, I'll start us off with a couple of photos 1) the view from my new bedroom window of the city 2) my new (very overgrown) garden in the snow.

Tagged:

Comments

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

I am ready for a break

• Hong Ching Goh
    Hong Ching Goh Member Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

this is great, no photo from me, but planning for a super quiet time to rejuvenate and restore!

• Shruti Turner

Thank you for sharing your photos for getting us into the festive spirit. I would love to know more about each - where is the amazing scenery? What is the super yummy looking pudding and I feel I am missing the tradition/understanding of picture three? I have so many questions, I am sorry!! :)

• Shruti Turner

This sounds like a wonderful plan. Sometimes no picture is necessary! I find that the festive time can get so busy we forget to rest and take time for ourselves. It sounds like you are well prepared.

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 262 admin

aaaaaaaa @Asli Telli that camping photo of the kettle and mug is everything! It's making yearn for journeys once again ☺️ I miss Germany!! Happy holidays to you, a wonderful festive season, and a peaceful year-end.

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

A big happy time definitely was my time spent in Iceland this summer. My cousin and I grabbed the chance during this long pandemic and just boarded the plane. It was the first time that I rented a car and we just toured around the country. It really gave me so many beautiful memories that I could still enjoy a long time after the trip, when harder times came during the second half of the year. So yes, that definitely was my big happy time this year.

• Vivien Kretz

How amazing are these pictures @Asli Telli ! That camping trip looks amazing! I am so interested in where that picture was taken! 😊

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 710 admin

Yayyyy! Congratulations on this milestone @Shruti Turner! I've been waiting to see these pictures for so long. Plus you were kind enough to tell us about the move much earlier so I can't help but feel invested in this journey. Can't wait to see the eventual garden transformation! 😃

• Andrea Hayward

Gorgeous pictures @Asli Telli! 😍 Thank you for sharing them with us. I had questions about each one, but I think @Shruti Turner has covered them all, so I'll wait 😅

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner I wish I had festive pictures to share but I haven't had time to put up my tree yet or decorate my home. I'll be travelling next week so I'll probably have newer pictures then.

While I don't have any milestone-related pictures, I'd like to share these because they're from days in 2021 when felt happiest and most peaceful ☺️

These first 2 are from a weekend trip I took sometime in September. The pictures don't do it justice but it was a beautiful GREEN space, at the top of a hill. It felt like living in a castle literally amongst the clouds, especially early in the morning. And the view of the valley and the village below was breathtaking!

This last picture is from the wedding of a dear friend of mine. This experience was joyous for many reasons. Aside from the obvious reasons, this was the first time since the pandemic hit that I attended a social event. So I got to see faces I love but hadn't seen in almost a year :')

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 251 admin

Loving the pictures on this thread...they're such a treat to the eyes! Congratulations on your new home @Shruti Turner. I'm so glad it's finally done and you can enjoy your Christmas there. ❤️ @Vivien Kretz Loved the picture of those snow-capped mountains! I've been going to beaches mostly since we moved to Thailand, and I've been missing mountains for a while now. I hope I can visit Iceland too some day. @Asli Telli That camping picture of yours stole my heart! And the Christmassy looking cake/pudding looks so delicious!

Here are a couple of pictures from my travels in Thailand - the first is from one of the islands around Samui and the second is Koh Kood - a lesser known, and therefore, less touristy beach in Thailand. The third picture is of a new hobby I developed when I was going through a difficult phase - I started a little plant corner in my house back in Mumbai. Planning this corner, buying new pots, and taking care of the plants gave me a sense of purpose and something pleasant to wake up to each morning when I was alone and anxious. :)

• Vivien Kretz

Thank you for giving me the idea with the plant corner! 🪴 I can totally relate to the feeling of waking up anxious in the morning. And having a plant corner as a sense of comfort is just a beautiful idea because in a sense, the plants really need you to take care of them.

Additionally, I am super glad that you got to travel around! Those pictures of Thailand are amazing! ☺️

• Rupkamal Sarma
    Rupkamal Sarma Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited December 2021

Hello all

Not really a break for me as I am visiting home after 2.5 years on a hectic schedule but here are some snaps of my rural life.

Enjoy your break and have a great time.

P.S. Thank you for the mention @Shruti Turner 🙂

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 251 admin
    edited December 2021

Loving these pictures @Rupkamal Sarma! They make me so nostalgic! My aunt's village home had a similar clay oven - most of my holidays used to be spent there as a kid. I visited her this year after ages, and was rather disheartened to see everything changed and modernized - a regular gas oven had replaced that beautiful clay one and regular steel and glass utensils had replaced the pretty clay and bamboo pots and pans. I'm so glad you can still enjoy village life as it used to be. 😊

• Shruti Turner

Happiness definitely doesn't need to be in the form of mainstream festivities or milestones. These photos are wonderful and clear represent some beautiful memories and times of 2021. Where are the landscape pictures taken? It looks so atmospheric!

I'm sorry, I have been off the platform of a week and am very behind - have you been able to get into the festivities for Christmas at all? I have to admit, I am not feeling very Christmassy either, but I am hoping that will change as it's the last day of work today!!

• Shruti Turner

Wow!! This photo is amazing!!! I would love to go to Iceland, it's definitely on the list as I always say. It must have been such a great freeing feeling to be able to drive and explore such a beautiful place, with someone special, and even more so after the restrictions because of COVID. Thank you so much for sharing. I feel at peace just looking at your photo!

• Shruti Turner

Thank you, @Kakoli Majumder - we are excited to finally have moved. We actually haven't spent much time there before coming back to London to sort the flat and say goodbye to people. Now we are making our way back home to Edinburgh via mine and my husband's parents for Christmas. We are looking forward to welcoming the New Year in our new home.

I love love those photos, especially of the less touristy beach. What a perfect undiscovered piece of heaven!

Most of all, thank you for sharing your reasoning behind your plant corner. It's incredible the impact something seemingly so small has on our lives. I do hope that your plants continue to bring joy and calm to your life. I feel the benefit, to our sense of purpose and wellbeing ,of caring for others (plants, animals, people etc) is sometimes forgotten. Thank you for the reminder.

• Shruti Turner

These photos are amazing, so varied! Are they all taken in the same place? It's so beautiful

All the best wishes for your trip home, I have no doubt how hectic that will be to see everyone you want and need to on your trip. I feel you will need to take some leave to recover from your leave!! I hope this will be a special time for you even if not so restful!

• Soumi Paul
    Soumi Paul Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭

A break from regular research activities and solving personal tragedies is required. Even if it's gifting yourself a single evening to dine out with someone who makes you laugh! So, here's me and my sis enjoying our pre-Christmas moments in Kolkata, India. Happy Christmas to you all! ☺️

Communication is the key to thriving! 😊

• Rupkamal Sarma

Hey @Shruti Turner ,

Thank you for your wishes. Yes, they are all from the same place, i.e. Jagiroad, Assam, in Northeast India.

Yes, it is turning out to be one hectic schedule but that's alright. Hope it becomes a fruitful one too.

Wish you a happy new year and have a great time.

• Andrea Hayward

Lovely pictures @Rupkamal Sarma! Is this somewhere in India? 😃

Despite being on a hectic schedule, I hope your stay was pleasant and that it was nice to be home and around family again ☺️

• Andrea Hayward

@Soumi Paul today is my first day back at work and as you can imagine, I am definitely not over the Christmas break yet. I'm even refusing to take my Christmas tree down and pack it up 😅

These pictures you've shared of the beautiful lights and the presents is giving me life right now! 😍

• Rupkamal Sarma

Lovely pictures @Rupkamal Sarma! Is this somewhere in India? 😃

Despite being on a hectic schedule, I hope your stay was pleasant and that it was nice to be home and around family again

Hey @Andrea Hayward Welcome back!

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, these pictures are from Assam, my home state.

I am still here so yes, it is turning out to be a pleasant stay. 🙂

• Andrea Hayward

@Rupkamal Sarma Assam is such a beautiful state! I hope I can visit someday 🙂