Hi, nice to meet you! — R Voice

Hi, nice to meet you!

Hi, I'm Vivien Kretz, a bit of a mental health advocate, who also studies Media&Culture at the University of Amsterdam

I joined R Voice as I enjoy discussing all things mental health, self care and stress management. I think it is super important to talk openly and kindly to help oneself to heal but also to create a safe space for each other.

I research everyday for my university papers, now making the big step from textual analysis to qualitative research. Currently focusing on female representation in music videos and audience reception research, other focuses of mine have included Afrosurrealism, reality TV and Media Aesthetics.

As I might not get tired of writing, I created a blog called "Thoughts in a travel bag" that openly shares, analyses and questions mental health issues. Apart from that, I like to report about travel and life experiences, but first and foremost, self care.

When I am not typing, I enjoy finding new coffee shops, walking dogs and going to the beach.

I am happy to be here and look forward to meeting all of you!

Comments

• chris leonard
    chris leonard Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 168 admin
    edited December 2021

Hi Vivien. Another ex-Amsterdam resident here. I lived there from 1999-2006 on Borneo Eiland (Oosterlijke Havengebied) when I worked for Elsevier (Sloterdijk). I miss Holland at this time of year. Warme chocolademelk, poffertjes, and the general gezelligheid.

Feel free to post a link to your blog here too.

• Vivien Kretz
    Vivien Kretz Member Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

Hi Chris, so nice to meet you and find out you also are a lover of the Holland lifestyle! It is so exciting that you lived in Amsterdam for such a long time period. I totally agree, the Dutch gezelligheid is even more cosy during the winter moths. The city is covered in Christmas lights at the moment and it just is so pretty.

I would gladly like to share the link to my blog. :) I just posted again today.

https://thoughtsinatravelbagx.weebly.com

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 296 admin

Welcome Vivien! It's great to have you on R Voice. I love how passionate you are about self-care and mental health. I've read your blog posts before and have always found them really insightful. Hope to have some interesting conversations with you here. :)

• Vivien Kretz

Thank you so much @Kakoli Majumder! I really am passionate about it, I am happy it comes across like that. I think we are most thriving with the things we care the most about. Looking forward to spending time here on R Voice. :)

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 881 admin
    edited December 2021

Welcome to the R Voice Community @Vivien Kretz! It's so lovely to have you here. 😊

I'm already a fan of your blog posts and like Kakoli, I really appreciate how strongly you feel about self-care and mental health and all the work you put in to keep the conversation going on these topics. I'm going to keep following your blog. In case you post any specific blog links here, please don't hesitate to tag me.

I'd love to hear more about your research on "female representation in music videos". The term "video vixen" came to mind when I first read this. Which era of music videos are you considering? Any specific genres?

I see that you also love the beach. I'll be sure to post pictures from my upcoming beach trip 😃

• Vivien Kretz

I am so happy to hear that @Andrea Hayward . The goal of the blog really is to make people feel less alone and spread awareness and it really seems to be touching some minds and maybe even hearts, which makes me very proud of this project.

Wow, the term "video vixen" really has started a new idea for me! Thank you so much! We decided to ask our interviewees about 4 music videos from the last 10 years, which all have very different meanings, themes and backgrounds. We are especially researching the madonna/whore complex in focusing on Ariana Grande's "God Is a Woman" music video and Cardi B's "WAP" video. Additionally, we are looking at empowerment in a Beyonce and a Lizzo music video and try to find out if these music videos actually make women empowered and which thoughts they trigger for men and non-binary people. It really has been exciting so far. The deadline is in 7 days, which is less exciting unfortunately. 😂

So looking forward to your beach photos! In which country are you going to visit a beach?

• Andrea Hayward

@Vivien Kretz Your intentions behind starting this blog are pure gold! 😍

Woah! I'm so glad I asked to learn more about your work - You have my attention! Your work sounds VERY interesting. In a world where you can't escape things like movies and music videos, it's fascinating that someone is studying the effects these visuals have on us. I'm a big fan of 2000s music which is probably why my mind drifted to the term "video vixen". Glad it helped! I'd love to know how this project pans out. Good luck with the upcoming deadline!

I live in India, and will be spending time at the beach in the tiny, yet beautiful state of Goa 🙂

• Vivien Kretz

Yes, I must say, it is such an interesting research topic. Exactly, as my lecturer Mark Deuze says, we do not live WITH but IN media. We are swimming in a sea filled with images, ideas and ideologies that are difficult to escape. Therefore, it is so important to critically examine those images that we just so naturally are seeing every day. I would gladly share the findings. Unfortunately, as of now, the project is a huge mess as it is a group work and I particularly struggle with that. I can definitely take all the fingers crossed for the deadline!

Oh, that sounds amazing! Soak in all the sun! ☀️

• Andrea Hayward

"We do not live WITH but IN media" - Such wise words and so true @Vivien Kretz. 🙂

I hope the issues with the project get resolved soon. I remember how challenging group work can get, from my own time as a student. Here's hoping that the folks you're working with are as passionate, inspired, and dedicated to this cause as you 😎