Let's play BINGO: The Academia Edition. How many boxes you can tick off! — R Voice

Let's play BINGO: The Academia Edition. How many boxes you can tick off!

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 581 admin

We've almost made it to the end of the year, and the holiday season is just around the corner. So let's have some fun with our first ever R Voice BINGO - The Academia Edition.

It's called "We're ALL in this together" because each box highlights an academic experience or milestone. Here's how you play -

• Read through the entire BINGO sheet.
  • In the comments below, tell us how many boxes you could tick off and specify which of these you've personally experienced.

Do you think anyone here could tick off all? Only one way to find out - LET'S PLAY! 😃

Comments

• Andrea Hayward

I'll go first, so that everyone can see how to play this game 😃

I could tick off 12 boxes! Here are the ones I've personally experienced -

• Fell down a rabbit hole during a literature search (haven't we all LOL)
    • Managed to tick off every task on my to-do list
    • Thought about drinking coffee after 3 pm (Every. Single. Day 😄)
    • Ate cold food for lunch, as I was busy when it was hot
    • Stopped before hitting 'send' to proofread my email 'one LAST time'
    • Cried at work on a particularly bad day 😟
    • Felt intense guilt for not working over the weekend
    • Had a family member ask when I'll stop being a "student"
    • Procrastinated until a few days before the submission
    • Took on more work and projects than I had time for
    • Attended a Zoom meeting in pajama bottoms 😂 (sorry, not sorry!)
    • Brought my favorite work buddy a special treat for no reason

Okay, who's going next?

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

@Andrea Hayward, this is a deeply reflective exercise! I have experienced a few:

• Managed to tick off every task on my to-do list😴
    • Ate cold food for lunch, as I was busy when it was hot😫
    • Took on more work and projects than I had time for😣
    • Procrastinated until a few days before the submission🤪
    • Met a good friend at a conference or on Twitter
    • Wrote my first research paper

One thing at a time

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 204 admin

I could tick off 14 boxes! Here's my list:

• Fell down a rabbit hole during a literature search (almost always 😅)
    • Managed to tick off every task on my list
    • Ate cold food for lunch, as I was busy when it was hot
    • Felt horrified because you discovered a typo after hitting 'send'
    • Felt intense guilt for not working over the weekend
    • Took on more work and projects than I had time for
    • Attended a Zoom meeting in pajama bottoms (who hasn't? 😋)
    • Said 'no' to something I didn't have time for (And felt extremely guilty about it 😥)
    • Brought my favorite work buddy a special treat for no reason
    • Wrote my first research paper
    • Took on more projects than I had time for
    • Looked myself up on Google scholar after my first publication
    • Procrastinated until a few days before the submission
  • Hazel Monica Peralta
    Hazel Monica Peralta Member Posts: 7

I could tick off 10 boxes! Here is my honest to goodness list 😘😅...

• Thought about drinking coffee after 3 pm (what my breaktime is like...)
    • Stopped before hitting 'send' to proofread my email 'one LAST time' (hopeless perfectionist 😅)
    • Cried at work on a particularly bad day (truly human.. woman?? 🤗)
    • Felt intense guilt for not working over the weekend (normally does..bad habit!)
    • Procrastinated until a few days before the submission (trying to take my sweet time..😘)
    • Spent 10 minutes looking for a flask stopper which is actually inside my labcoat pocket (laughed at myself big time when I realized 🤣🤣)
    • Took on more work and projects than I had time for (an honest mistake...learned a painful lesson as a reward 😁😂)
    • Made time to consciously pull someone up in their career who needs it (it was the best decision at the time 😘)
    • Attended a Zoom meeting in pajama bottoms  (different time zone that's why😅)
    • Brought my favorite work buddy a special treat for no reason (😍🤗)

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 225 admin
    edited November 29

Yes, let's play - I love the scenarios you've listed out @Andrea Hayward And looking at what you, @Omololu FAGBADEBO, @Kakoli Majumder and @Hazel Monica Peralta have played, I don't feel alone anymore!

• Fell down a rabbit hole during a literature search (but I loved being lost - felt a bit like Alice) 🙆‍♀️
    • Managed to tick off every task on my to-do list (I think I cried a little that day...tears of joy they were) 🤩
    • Thought about drinking coffee after 3 pm (Didn't just THINK about it...I DRANK coffee after 3 pm..heck I drank coffee after 8 pm, too) ☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️
    • Ate cold food for lunch, as I was busy when it was hot🥪
    • Stopped before hitting 'send' to proofread my email 'one LAST time'🧐 (the worst part is, there was a typo in my email even after all of this - I felt horrible that day)
    • Cried at work on a particularly bad day (who hasn't!)😥
    • Felt intense guilt for not working over the weekend 🤐
    • Met a now good friend at an academic conference/on Twitter 🙋‍♀️🙋‍♀️
    • Made time to consciously pull someone up in their career who needs it (seemed like the right thing to do at the time, and it was the right decision) 👩‍💻
    • Downloaded 1000 papers, read 3 (I think I do this every time)🖨️
    • Said NO to something I didn't have time for (I still remember how nervous I was both before and after I did this) 🙅
    • Brought my fav colleague a special treat for no reason🍟🍕🎂
    • Took on more projects than I had time for😵
    • Looked myself up on Google Scholar after my 1st publication🤓
    • Attended a Zoom meet in pajamas👩‍💼
    • Procrastinated until just before submission🤐
    • Ate a tub of ice cream after my 1st journal rejection 🍿
    • Wrote my 1st research paper (an unforgettable feeling when you're done) 😁
  • Andrea Hayward

@Omololu FAGBADEBO this was fun to read (more than usual) because I now know what you sound like 😃

I see so many overlaps in your list and mine. One thing I haven't experienced that I'd like to is to make a new lifelong friend either at a conference or on Twitter. 🙂

I think taking on more work and projects than we have time for is a common theme here for all of us. We're a dedicated bunch of people. We want to do as much as we possibly can 😅 glad we all have each other for reminders about taking it easy every once in a while

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

Thanks, @Andrea Hayward. Yes, I noticed that we have a similar trait in some aspects. I love academic networking. And my academic social media platforms are veritable avenues for me to meet colleagues and like minds for collaboration. We need to take things easy because we cannot do everything, even though we would have loved to see things done without delay. The hard truth is that we are humans, not SUPER humans!

One thing at a time

• Andrea Hayward

@Hazel Monica Peralta I love that you've added a personal comment for each of these 😄 they make each box even more relatable. Thank you for taking the time to play our special edition of BINGO. I love that you've listed "Made time to consciously pull someone up in their career" 😍 I'm sure that person felt extremely fortunate to have your guidance.

P.S. I'll let you in on a secret - I wear pajama bottoms to Zoom calls even if it's a meeting in the same timezone as me. Who would know? 😉

• Andrea Hayward

@Kakoli Majumder I think you're in the lead with 12 boxes - WOW! 🤩

I think it's bittersweet that we've all eaten cold lunch at some point because we were too busy when the food was hot. Must be a case of "I'll just send this last email and then I'll eat" 😅

• Andrea Hayward

@Jayashree Rajagopalan I'm loving this trend of adding comments or emojis alongside each experience/milestone. Like an additional layer of fun to this game of BINGO. Jayashree with over 15 boxes, I'm sure you've managed to get at least one full line (either vertically, horizontally, or diagonally). I think you should take a moment to shout BINGO today! 😃

"The worst part is - there was a typo in my email even after all this" - SO relatable. Feels like first-hand betrayal by your own brain and eyes 😮

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 225 admin

lol @Andrea Hayward oh now I am curious to see what some others might have done from this Bingo list this year. Let's see @Shruti Turner @Isurika Sevwandi @Rupkamal Sarma @Abdirisak Mohamed Abdillahi @Neltah Mosimanegape @Claudia Herrera @Parul Nigam - how many of these can you relate to?

• Hazel Monica Peralta
    Hazel Monica Peralta Member Posts: 7

@Adrea Hayward, thank you so much for coming up with this idea of "BINGO the Academia edition". From this we can actually understand the similarities and differences among academicians around the globe. We should have more of these. Oh yes, talking about wearing the pajama bottoms on Zoom, really who would know, right? 😅 😅 It just feel like being half asleep (more of half awake, what's the difference? 🤣) with a nicely ironed top and pajama bottoms 😅.

• Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

Hey, seem to be an exciting game here! Actually, I have lots of things related, for instance,

• Fell down a rabbit hole during a literature search (happens to me many times but learn a lot more later on)
    • Managed to tick off every task on my to-do list (I am progressing on this, luckily getting used to productivity apps)
    • Stopped before hitting 'send' to proofread my email 'one LAST time' (I think I do this very often now after mistakenly typing Rajyashree for Jayashree :) hope you remember it @Jayashree Rajagopalan
    • Met a now good friend at an academic conference (I met a lot after attending a virtual Youth Forum at Sri Lanka as a delegate)
    • Made time to consciously pull someone up in their career who needs it (I am attempting at this frequently with my students) 
    • Downloaded 1000 papers, read 3 (I have a habit of downloading a lot of e-books related to NBS (nature-based solutions; but rarely get to read them; need to redefine get to and have to)
    • Said NO to something I didn't have time for (I am horribly struggling at this but this is going to be my new year resolution for the next year for sure) 
    • Took on more projects than I had time for (completed a tiresome project yesterday and feel much relieved after submitting it
    • Attended a Zoom meet in pajamas (have done this many times😂)

• Rupkamal Sarma
    Rupkamal Sarma Member Posts: 12
    edited November 30

I am not in academia at the moment, so sadly can't claim to have experienced the 'joys' of most of the things in this game but as an aspiring academic, I am sure my time will come soon 😁

• Stopped before hitting 'send' to proofread my email 'one LAST time' (have been doing this for at least 12 years now, don't think will ever stop)
    • Felt horrified because you discovered a typo after hitting 'send' ( After all, I am human 😏)
    • Downloaded 1000 papers, read 3 (In my case, it is books as well)
    • Had a family member ask you when you'll stop being a "student" ( The rate at which this is happening now, will soon bag the title of "eternal student" )

• Andrea Hayward

@Hazel Monica Peralta I'm already putting together another set of experiences for a BINGO sequel. If you'd like to share any suggestions for this, please do 😃

Hahahaha you read my mind about Pajama bottoms. Half awake = Half asleep. 😂

• Andrea Hayward

@Rupkamal Sarma the process has already begun and very soon I'm sure you'll be able to tick-off many many boxes 😃

I think we're all in the same boat when it comes to proofreading emails a million times before hitting "send". But there's always something we ending up missing 😅

Oh yes! Not just papers, but books too! I have so many books that I'm yet to read and they're all collecting dust :( Hopefully, I'll have some time to catch up on my reading over Christmas break.

I think we're all eternal student's in a way, because we never stop learning regardless of what we're doing in life. So I would take this title as a positive thing 🙂

• Andrea Hayward

@Hazel Monica Peralta @Jayashree Rajagopalan @Isurika Sevwandi @Kakoli Majumder after reading this entire thread, I think one thing is settled - We NEED to have a pajama party over Zoom 😂 Maybe a special CoCo Time?

• Andrea Hayward

I'm glad you liked the game @Isurika Sevwandi. Thank you for sharing your list with us :)

Very curious to learn about the productivity apps you mentioned. I've never used any so I don't know how they work. Could you please tell me a little bit about this?

I was so sure that your list would have "Made time to consciously pull someone up in their career who needs it 😊 I know how strongly you feel about your students and all the passion and hard work with which you strive to teach and guide them. ❤️

I think we all struggle with saying no to tasks and projects we don't have time for. For me, this is usually because everything seems so interesting and I want to try and make as big an impact as possible. This gets tricky when the timelines for many projects overlap and I too am trying to get better at saying no. It's a learning process and hopefully we get better at this in 2022, without all the guilt 😅

• Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

Hey, @Andrea Hayward, the best productivity app I am trying out is Notion and it helps you to plan and structure everything (no sponsorship btw 🤣) and I love its toggle feature so I can very well prepare and organize my lecture notes under each toggle title (you can also give a try and I am using the free profile available with the email address of my academic institution) and each page for each subject which makes it easy to find out anything and most importantly you can publish your notion pages as web pages whenever you want so it is quite easy for me to share my notion pages with my head. I love ticking off things in my to-do list and ticking by clicking gives me additional dopamine and motivates me to work towards another task right away. Also, I use Trello boards to organize my day-to-day operations so I do not miss anything easily. I also use the Instapaper app to save web pages to read them later on so that I would never miss any interesting article, post, or story that I might instantly come across during my busy schedule. I also used Blinkist until recently to go through abstract versions of books that I wanted to digest as easy chunks. Moreover, I consider my DailyLife diary as a digital journal where I add moods to reflect every day (I've mentioned this before 😊) and save some captures of highlights of each day so I can easily recall any day later and this indirectly motivates me to refelt on the day before I go to sleep and record what I have improved and where I went wrong and needs to work on.