Do you hesitate to say "I don't know"? — R Voice

Do you hesitate to say "I don't know"?

Jayashree Rajagopalan
Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 225 admin

As you brace yourself for a hopefully restful weekend, here's a reminder ... you don't need to have answers to everything all the time. It's perfectly alright if you didn't know something, if you needed time to look up the right answer/approach. Don't be too hard on yourself to know things all the time especially during your academic journey.

Happy weekend!

Comments

• chris leonard
    chris leonard Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 145 admin

I used to fear about not knowing everything and would bluff and bluster when asked about something I didn't know about. Not only is that unhelpful to the person you are speaking to, it's also being untrue to yourself. I've got much better at saying "I don't know" as I get older. There are also many things I don't have strong opinions about, and I let people know that too when asked!

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 126 ✭✭✭✭

I do agree with @chris leonard

I want to add some based on my experience: I enter to the PhD with empty cup, not only because the research area is different from my field background, but also because I promise to myself to just empty the cup and be ready to receive the new knowledges. I was marked as Miss 'I don't know' or implicitly Miss 'stupid' 😂. Well, that is fine, rather than running to the wrong directions.