Academic thanksgiving – What/Who are you thankful for? — R Voice

Academic thanksgiving – What/Who are you thankful for?

Jayashree Rajagopalan
Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 225 admin

November is Thanksgiving season in some countries. Why not use the essence of this day…expressing gratitude for the good things and people in our lives! Let’s add our own twist to thanksgiving and celebrate the first ever academic thanksgiving on R Voice. 🌼

We’re approaching the end of 2021 and what a year it has been! I think academic thanksgiving is a great opportunity for us to look back at this year and appreciate the things or people that helped us and made a difference to our lives this year. 🙂

Tell me who/what you are thankful for. It could be:

• Someone from your own lab, department, or institution
  • A supervisor, peer, mentor, professor, mentee, or student
  • Someone from your non-academic life – a partner, parent, or friend
  • (A fellow R Voicer!) 😊
  • Or, an event that occurred (even a milestone you reached) this year to add a positive spin to your life or give you the boost really needed 

Let’s celebrate academic thanksgiving together.

Leave a comment – “I am thankful for…”

Comments

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    edited November 12
  • Karen Hall
    Karen Hall Member Posts: 7

i am thankful for the internet,whatsapp and delivery services

• Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

I want to thank three people for helping me rejuvenate this difficult year.

First of all, Dr. Thamali Kithsiri from the Department of Geography, University of Peradeniya for her unwavering support for sharing many more academic opportunities with me that eventually helped me achieve more and make this tiresome year end with a positive note.

Secondly my beloved parents for their unconditional emotional support which nurtures me everyday. No words to extend my gratitude to them.

Thirdly, the R Voice community for this virtual place to share anything and everything related to academia. Even though I couldn't post much during the year I thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts, comments and invisible support that ensured for each and every member.

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

I am thankful to God, who created me and make me what I am today. Without Him in my life, I am nothing. He brought me in contact with some people in different environments, whose actions and inactions have shaped my academic life. I am thankful to my parents, whom God used to bring me into the world! My contact with my M.Sc. supervisor was a blessing because he extracted from me the hidden academic potential. To a set of my colleagues who, mischievously, did not see anything good in me, I am grateful because the hostility was all I needed to reinvent and explore the hidden treasures. My Ph.D. supervisors had the trust in me and they inspired my confidence. I appreciate all colleagues including R Voice for the various training platforms provided.

One thing at a time

• Claudia Iacob
    Claudia Iacob Member Posts: 2

I am thankful for being healthy and for the possibility to work on my dreams. :)

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

Well said @Claudia Iacob! There's nothing without health. Weirdly, it is something we often forget, especially when we are in the thick of things or totally immersed in work.

Ah! the possibility of working on your dreams sounds most interesting! What is this dream you are thankful for chasing? I am going to take guesses here - hopefully one of them will be right: Ummmm..let's see - working on (researching about) something you love/are passionate about, being able to travel (that would make me slightly envious but happy for you), or a pet project like a hobby that you're able to take up on a serious level (if this is it, I'd love to know what hobby it is!)

So...which one of these was it? Or, was I completely off-mark? 🙂

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

A very humbling experience to read your thanksgiving note @Omololu FAGBADEBO You have a great way of finding and celebrating the positive in life in tough situations. I am sorry to hear about your experience with your colleagues. I know you have mentioned this before but I have to say I find your way of viewing things very inspiring. It's great to hear you have your own support system that helps you grow academically and personally. YAYYYY you included the R Voice community - that means a lot!

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

Thank you, @Jayashree Rajagopalan . There is always a positive in every negative. We need to celebrate the two. Yes, the R Voice community is a family to be celbrated.

One thing at a time

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

Hi @Isurika Sevwandi - great to hear from you...as always. What a sweet gesture of mentioning your department staff - Dr. Thamali sounds like a great positive influence in your life as do your parents. It's very encouraging to hear that you are/have been surrounded people who support you. Nothing better than a support system, especially for those who have to deal with tough challenges in academia. I ALWAYS feel so emotional when I hear about R Voice helping the community. I know you've not been able to frequent R Voice a lot this year (and we've missed you!) but I appreciate the conversations you have here whenever you can make the time for it. Here's hoping 2022 brings a lot more opportunities for you (and some extra time for you to talk to your fellow R Voicers).

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

Whoa @Karen Hall you've got a BIG one in a very short sentence. I agree with you - given how the past two years have led us all into unfamiliar territory, I don't think any one of us could have gotten anywhere or spent a single day without the Internet, What'sApp, or delivery services. The Internet and What'sApp made such a huge difference - helped us stay connected not just with the world but even with our closest ones at a time when we couldn't even meet them. Delivery services, I think, are the saviour we needed 🙂 Happy academic thanksgiving!

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

What a lovely note, @Gustavo Arluna, and full of positive thoughts. Thanks for the great kickstart to academic thanksgiving at R Voice! 🙂 I am reading all of these academic thanksgiving notes and am amazed at how there are great support behind this community. Very happy to hear about yours. Irrespective of whether your "tribe" is from within or outside academia, the fact is it matters because these people and interactions help you go through the best and worst times. Your family sounds amazing! And anybody who can help us gain more knowledge in a formal/academic/institutional setting or through an information association deserves a hat tip! It's nice to hear you have had great professors who taught you a lot too. I am super happy to hear R Voice could support you in some way - this is such a diverse community with people from different backgrounds, research types, research career stages, and aspirations. It's nice to see how it's also a shaping up as a nurturing and safe space. Don't worry about mentioning names - your gesture is big enough to include all of R Voice!

And the world thanks you back! 👍️

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

Beautifully articulated @Hong Ching Goh - Did you know that you and @Omololu FAGBADEBO have said something similar? About looking at the challenges life throws at you during your journey as opportunities in disguise. I appreciate this way of approaching or reflecting upon heavy/tough situations. And I would like to THANK YOU for reminding me about this during this academic thanksgiving on R Voice.

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭

I'm grateful for so much this year in my academic life, even though I am more prone to dwell on the negatives and all the things that could go wrong. Thank you @Jayashree Rajagopalan for reminding us to think about the positives as well - I need this nudge.

Okay so..things in the past year I'm grateful for:-

• PhD completion!
    • Paper publications/acceptances (incl two collaborations)
    • The support and mentorship of academics who really have had no need to help me out (outside my institution, cold emails etc.)
    • The family I feel I have on R Voice - because I'm saving the best until last!

These four things in particular I feel have carried me through what has otherwise been, personally, a tough year even excluding the pandemic. I feel these wins have allowed to a little breathing room and celebration of my work but really it is the people who have made the biggest impact. There are academic horror stories, but I have encountered so many kind people who have restored my faith in the system and given me hope for the future.

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

@Shruti Turner Happy Monday! Was nice to see your academic thanksgiving note for so many things. I love it. The more notes I see on this thread greater is the admiration I feel for this community - what a pleasure to get to know this great bunch of resilient and supportive human beings. This thread is as much a nudge for me as it is for you - I am almost always in the danger zone when it comes to thinking about something negatively.

Yes, 2021 has been a milestone year for you. Congratulations, once again, for making the move to Dr. And it was productive one too - that's awesome. And perhaps, some day, you could share some tips with fellow R Voicers on something as nerve wracking as framing cold emails - something I guess almost every researcher should be prepared to do?

We are family! Thank you for being yourself here and I feel touched for R Voice to have been included in your note. Glad you found kindness in your relationships in academia...kindness can go a long way in helping researchers at any stage of their careers.

I feel that the pandemic made everything very tough and bleak for all of us and seeing these academic thanksgiving notes is helping me see the wins and appreciate the fact that, as you said, "really it is the people who have made the biggest impact."

Happy academic thanksgiving to you 🙌

• Claudia Iacob
    Claudia Iacob Member Posts: 2

@Jayashree Rajagopalan Possibility encompasses several things, including what you mentioned. In my mind were, in principle, the support from my family (especially my husband) and the fact that I can live in the capital of my country, where there is a large university - which allows me to meet and learn from people in my field of interest. So, basic stuff, but equally important in my view...:)

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

LOVE the perspective @Claudia Iacob. Makes me realize how I may have taken some small but important things in my life for granted, but in reality they make a difference in my life and I should be thankful for them. 🙂

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 204 admin
    edited November 18

This year has taught me to be thankful for many things I had never really noticed earlier. It's been a stressful year for me, as I was forced to stay away from home and my husband for several months due to the COVID travel bans. I'm thankful for the unflinching support of my friends during this time. They practically never let me feel alone - from calling every morning to getting home-cooked food for me, organizing movie nights and sleepovers to chauffeuring me around whenever I needed to go out, they have been more than family for me. I'm also thankful to service providers who have put their own safety at stake to make our lives easier during COVID - electricians, plumbers, cabbies, delivery persons who dropped off food and groceries to my doorstep at all odd hours. I'm also thankful for life and personal freedom - the freedom to go wherever we want to, to be with people we want to, to live life the way we want to - I now realize how valuable and precious all of this is. I'm thankful for the air I breathe - wearing a mask for hours on end has made me realize how beautiful it is to breathe freely. Lastly, I'm thankful for my work and the R Voice community that made me forget my troubles for a few hours each day at least. I'm thankful for having made some excellent friends through this community - @Yufita Chinta, @Ruchika Yogesh, @Karen Hall, @Soumi Paul, @Mohamed Samunn, @leonard waks, @Shruti Turner @Asli Telli - it has been a pleasure knowing you. I've spent some memorable time with each of you and I've always felt refreshed and happy after our interactions. Thank you all! Would love to hear your academic thanksgiving stories (of course, if you haven't shared already😊).

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭

Happy Wednesday! Sorry for my delay replying to your post. I have loved reading everyone's contributions to this post. It reminds me to see the good in the world but also opens my eyes to new things. I am not able to reply to so many, but I appreciate each and every post in this thread.

Thank you so much for your congratulations again! I feel I should stop mentioning my PhD so much haha Of course, I am always happy to share my experiences with anyone interested or if it can help anyone at all! I am by no means an expert at networking, but I feel I am making a good go. There have been many interesting calls recently.

People are everything, because communication and connection are so powerful. If I may quote Harry Potter (because I can't not at important times): "Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it." ~ Albus Dumbledore.

Happy Academic Thanksgiving!

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

@Shruti Turner yay for another HP fan! I think you should definitely share your tips - the fact that you invested time and effort in networking for your own requirements as a researcher makes your tips relevant for other researchers! Planting a seed here ... think "networking tips for 2022" (GRINNN). I agree with you that every singe post on this thread has been a reminder about the positive influences around us. 💛

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 126 ✭✭✭✭

Mine has been well written by @Claudia Herrera And I couldn't agree more.

I am thankful for being healthy and for the possibility to work on my dreams. :)

Thank you Claudia.

• Jayashree Rajagopalan

Thanks for dropping by @Yufita Chinta It's always great to say "hi" 🙃 Yes, I believe @Claudia Herrera summed it up rather well. Nothing without physical and mental health or a dream you are able to pursue. Happy academic thanksgiving to you!

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 581 admin

@Gustavo Arluna I'm just catching up with this post. I'm sorry, I'm late to the party 😕

Yours is the first comment I read and it really made my day! The fact that you mentioned being thankful for the R Voice Community is making me feel so happy and overwhelmed ❤️ I'm not even sure what to type here because I'm at a loss for words. But I wanted you to know how much I appreciate this. Thank you! 🤗

• Andrea Hayward

Love this @Claudia Iacob! I think I echo this sentiment. Given how difficult and uncertain the last 2 years have been, I'm thankful just to be alive and healthy, and to be here. ☺️

• Andrea Hayward

Okay I'm ready to put in my own academic thanksgiving comment, now that I've read all of the wonderful comments on this thread 😊

I'm thankful for making it through the pandemic (I realize it hasn't fully ended yet, but I still feel this very strongly. I understand that a lot of people haven't been as fortunate as me and I don't take this for granted even for a second. I am also thankful to have had my family by my side through it all and that we're all safe and together🙂

I'm thankful for my cat Stitches 😻 I don't know what I'd do without him. He gives me important life lessons every day and he's the best pillow and friend 😋

I'm thankful for @Jayashree Rajagopalan - she is the best friend and colleague anyone could ask for. She has been my sounding board and cheerleader more times than I can count this year and I couldn't have made it through without her 🤗

I am thankful for R Voice! This community has carved a very special place in my heart and it's here to stay. The conversations I've had on this community and the connections I've made are a gift. Special shoutout to @Shruti Turner @Gustavo Arluna @Hong Ching Goh @Yufita Chinta - I am immensely thankful for your presence and for your friendship. To login to R Voice and see your faces and comments has brightened up even the gloomiest days! I value each one of our conversations and all of the laughs and experiences we've shared here 🤩

• Abdirisak Mohamed Abdillahi
    Abdirisak Mohamed Abdillahi Member Posts: 4
    edited November 23

I am very thankful for being healthy, happy and free of debt. I am also very grateful to my wife, my partner in life for loving me, for all the times she has supported me, for pouring her life into our children and for just being her. I would definitely not be the person I am today without her.  

• Neltah Mosimanegape
    Neltah Mosimanegape Member Posts: 1

Without a doubt my amazing supervisor!

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    edited November 24

A beautifully expressed note of gratitude @Andrea Hayward I agree with you...the notes everyone shared are so heartwarming. I think we all owe it to ourselves, our families, and support systems for getting through the pandemic and for reminding us about the small things we may have taken for granted - what an unbelievably unpredictable phase it has been! I am thankful to Stitches, too. He is so cuddle-inviting. Keep sending me regal photos of him wearing fancy scarves. One day...soon...I will meet him and boop his nose! I can imagine what a great source of comfort he may have been for you. Yayyyyy you included me in your academic thanksgiving note - thank YOU! We've come a long way, weathered a few storms, celebrated a bunch of wins, shared some secrets, and cheered each other together. Perhaps, one day, we can be workstation neighbors again and add custom lights to our desks to get everyone else to visit the cave with the nice ambience! The R voice community has given us a lot to be thankful for - I couldn't have said it better. The relationships we have forged are a treasure as is the wonderful community here!