What has been the happiest moment of your academic life? — R Voice

What has been the happiest moment of your academic life?

Kakoli Majumder
Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 204 admin

For many researchers, getting their PhD or getting published in their dream-journal might be the happiest memories of their research journey. But I woke up to this, and it made my day. What pure joy it must have been for this researcher to see his dad so happy and proud and putting in so much of effort to understand his work. 😍

Have you experienced moments like this that made you feel your academic journey was worth the while? It's Friday and we would love to hear happy stories about your academic life!

Comments

• Omololu FAGBADEBO
    Omololu FAGBADEBO Member Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

Thanks, @Kakoli Majumder. My happiest moment was the day I was awarded my Ph.D. degree. Happiest because it was a victory over a sinister plan of my persecutors.

One thing at a time

• Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

Hey! @Kakoli Majumder the happiest day in my academic life was the day I was appointed as a temporary lecturer at my own department which I consider as my second alma mater. Seems to be a little victory but it was a dream coming true and I believe I am born to become a lecturer. Whenever I spend time with my students explaining a concept, listening to their clarifications, or sharing my life lessons with them are the best moments of my life so far. The day I was rewarded with that opportunity was a bit stressful but it is still the most unforgettable day ingeneral.

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

The day my final Thesis draft was approved.

• Kakoli Majumder

I'm sorry you had to go through such a painful situation. I can't imagine what your academic journey must have been like with people actually trying to pull you down. PhD life is itself a huge challenge, and it must have been terrible to be targeted by others. But I'm glad you fought against all odds and finally managed to get your PhD. I'm so happy for and proud of you!

• Kakoli Majumder

Wow! That must have been such an emotional moment Isurika! It's such a great feeling to be teaching at your Alma Mater! I taught at my high school for a few months and it was such a beautiful feeling! I remember how strange and unreal it felt when I entered a classroom and sat at the teacher's desk for the first time! It's very hard to describe that feeling - a mix of pride and joy with a tinge of awkwardness :D :D It truly feels like a dream :) So happy for you!

• Kakoli Majumder

This is so reletable! After months of painstaking work, and several rounds of revision, it's such a huge relief and joy when your thesis is finally approved! Did you have to revise it many times before the approval?

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

The Thesis has been ready since March, it passed through term 2 and 3 report plus synopsis approval before the final draft I submitted since August got approved on November 10th, 2021.

• Kakoli Majumder

Wow! So it was a pretty long wait for you! I can imagine how anxiety-arousing those 7 months must have been! I'm glad the wait is finally over and your thesis has been approved. So happy for you!

• Gustavo Arluna
    Gustavo Arluna Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

@Kakoli Majumder wow, I loved that post! That dad is incredible.

I was thinking and thinking about this...I cannot think in a "happiest moment" in my academic life because I feel that I didn't reach all the goals I would like to reach YET. But I will, I know I will. So, I preferred to read all the previous answers to inspire myself. 💪

Of course, I will share with all of you when I reach some of my academic goals. 😊

• Kakoli Majumder
    edited November 18

Perhaps I should modify my post so say "happiest moment so far" or even "one of your happy moments in academia." Your reply made me think @Gustavo Arluna - how often we tend to equate happiness with success.😊. Let's not think in terms of the larger goals we've achieved; even the little joys count - and sometimes more than the larger achievements - as these are what keeps us going. Feel free to share any "happy moment" story - even if it is as simple as a pat on the back by a Professor or an animated discussion with colleagues - would love to hear about it. ☺️

• Gustavo Arluna
    Gustavo Arluna Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

@Kakoli Majumder you are right! I fell on that trap of equating happiness with success.😅

Now, although I still cannot think in a happiest moment, suddenly many happy moments came to my life like having many good academic related conversations or just cheat chattings in the coffee shop with my colleagues or even with some professors while we were on a break or before starting the class, the times we used to spend in presencial laboratory practices, some classes that opened my mind and I loved so much because I learned a lot.

And thinking in the present time I can mention the final project/thesis in what I am working with my colleagues. Now that we have less pandemic restrictions we gather in my house or in another colleague house for working in the project as universities are still closed, so we cannot have access to laboratory equipment. We work hard but at the same time we have funny moments. By the way, as laboratories are closed, I decided to buy an oscilloscope, so buying and receiving that instrument in my house was another happy moment. 😊

• Kakoli Majumder

Wow! I love how you took this opportunity to go down memory lane and revisit memories of pleasant times in your academic journey. It's great to know that you and your colleagues are gathering to work together to work from the same space and even buying lab equipment to help you with your work. I love how passionate you all are about your work!

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 126 ✭✭✭✭

wow, so many happiest moments have been shared. I'd like to jump in too @Kakoli Majumder

It's simple yet the happiest moment for me during my PhD. It is when I got the statistical significant difference for my data 🤣 Surely, I dance and dance in front of my computer immediately after I got the results. Subsequently and surely my room mates guess that I must be very stressful of the PhD journey 🤣

• Kakoli Majumder
    edited November 25

Thanks for sharing this @Yufita Chinta! Your description is so vivid - I can almost visualize you dancing with happiness and your roommates staring at you! I'm laughing to myself even as I write this! 😃Thanks to your story, I'm enjoying a happy moment in the middle of a busy work-day 🧡