How to handle this situation? — R Voice

How to handle this situation?

How do you handle a situation when you want to take a rest yet the professor gave you too much task, to the point that you barely get enough sleep.

Best Answers

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 225 admin
    Accepted Answer

What an interesting question @Luayon Alliah Lyn - Tagging @Stefano Zucca here to share his thoughts on this.

I can relate to this. Sometimes I drive myself to the point of burnout in such situations and sometimes I am better organized. Curious to hear what Stefano has to say.

• Stefano Zucca
    Stefano Zucca Member Posts: 4
    Accepted Answer

Hello, thank you for tagging me! So I usually start from the idea that a professor/PI will probably never tell you to work less. You are in charge of setting boundaries and saying no if you feel there is too much work to do.

Reaching the limit should be prevented as it will have a much longer lasting impact on your productivity rather then slowing things down!

Also, as your aim is to produce outputs, you can try to engage with the PI and understand what are the most important aspects you need to focus on!

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 581 admin
    Accepted Answer

Great question @Luayon Alliah Lyn! I agree with what Stefano said about setting boundaries. Even at work, setting boundaries is very important and it is perfectly normal to convey these to the people you work with. Especially, if the workload is affecting your sleep cycle and health, you should definitely try to say something. As Stefano said, you could maybe let your professor know how much time all the work is actually taking you and how it's eating into your personal time as well. You could also request for help with prioritization. There will always be a lot of work but which of these tasks needs to be done now? That's a question we should be asking. Hope this helps!

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 204 admin
    edited November 12 Accepted Answer

So glad you started this thread @Luayon Alliah Lyn. As Stefano has said, work will always keep coming in, but you need to set boundaries. You need to acknowledge to yourself first that a few things are non-negotiable - regular meals, at least 6 hours of sleep and a minimum time for exercise or whatever else takes your mind off work - even if it's just 30 minutes. Making time for these will help you stay productive and avoid burnout in the long run. We often make the mistake of working till we are burnt out - don't let it get to that point. Talk to your PI and seek his help with prioritizing. One small suggestion here - break up your tasks and have a capping time for each - set an alarm if required. Sharing this from personal experience - I often end up spending way too much time on a task than is required - often because I'm too engrossed in what I'm doing and tend to lose track of time. 😕