Literature search FOMO! How much is enough? When should you stop looking for more references? — R Voice

Literature search FOMO! How much is enough? When should you stop looking for more references?

Jayashree Rajagopalan
Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 225 admin

I'm sure many of you will identify with this situation:

You're looking up sources to build relevant references for your research paper or for a literature review you are working on. Things begin really well, but soon you find yourself in a rabbit hole. Every paper/work you come across takes you on a new search and you can't help but look up the new source. How do you overcome this literature search FOMO? How do you know when to stop?😲

Here's an interesting Twitter thread that shows how other researchers deal with this situation - I hope you find it useful!

Comments

• chris leonard
    chris leonard Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 145 admin

I'm reading a great book at the moment called "Do The Work" by Steven Pressfield. It advocates spending a small, time-boxed amount of time on research - but not too much that it distracts you from 'doing the work' and letting your creativity run free. I find it inspiring, because I am guilty of this too. Plus it's short!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10645233-do-the-work