How does one start with statistics for research? — R Voice

How does one start with statistics for research?

Can I get any recommendations for books, videos, websites to learn statistics from scratch? What would be the best way to go about approaching statistics with the end goal of using it for research?

I have started with Salkind and Frey's - Statistics for people who (think) they hate statistics, should I also get an SPSS subscription for 6 months along with it?

Answers

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 581 admin

Hi @Rupkamal Sarma. I found this YouTube playlist called Statistics (Nice & Easy) -

It contains 21 videos in total. Each video is short, easy-to-follow, and covers a basic concept/method of statistics. Hope this helps! I think it's worth checking out 🙂

• Karen Hall
    Karen Hall Member Posts: 7

Khans academy clips on youtub has been very helpful to me over the years in simplifying statistics

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 581 admin

@Cathrine Katsigianni I think you might be able to offer some helpful advice here :)

• Rupkamal Sarma
    Rupkamal Sarma Member Posts: 12

Thank you @Andrea Hayward and @Karen Hall for your recommendations.

I will check out the YouTube Videos and have downloaded the Khan Academy app. Will check it out in-depth soon.

• Cathrine Katsigianni
    Cathrine Katsigianni Member Posts: 1

If you are a complete beginner it is essential that you familiarize yourself with basic concepts in statistics. A very useful source is a small book by Derek Rowntree 'statistics without tears'. It explains definitions very clearly and gives goods example for each definition. If you want more detail the book Real World research is another one but this refers generally to different research methodologies and designs, which is paramount as it helps you understand what type of statistics your research paper needs. However, this book concentrates more on social sciences. Leards statistics website is top; I used it a lot while doing my dissertation, it requires a small subscription fee but it was affordable at the time(3 years ago) you need to check now. And Khan Academy is great as someone else here mentioned but the other sources have all the material in a specific order. Mainly your research question will guide you as to the type of statistics you need but you have to understand statistics first.

• Rupkamal Sarma
    Rupkamal Sarma Member Posts: 12

@Cathrine Katsigianni Thank you for your recommendations.

Yes, I can be called a complete beginner as I have been away from academic pursuits for a while. I will definitely look up the books suggested by you. 🙂 I did come across Leards statistics in my search yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to find their very affordable pricing. ( 10 USD for 3 months access).