8 brave researchers open up about how mental illness has affected their lives — R Voice

8 brave researchers open up about how mental illness has affected their lives

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 577 admin
edited October 18 in Self-care & Wellbeing

Last week, I posted Part 1 of a very special video series I've been working on called "Some days are better than others". I've very pleased to share Part 2 today! 🙂

Mental illness isn't always visible. We can never truly know what someone is going through beneath the surface. It's important to remember that just because someone looks "fine" or happy, is meeting up with friends, is showing up for work or being productive, it doesn't mean that they're not struggling.

This is exactly what we've tried to convey in Part 2 of this video series. Here, 8 brave researchers answer the question - How has mental illness and/or mental health issues affected your life, work, or both?

Part 2A

As you listen to their day-to-day struggles and experiences, think about this - Would a person who is unaffected by mental illness have to worry about this as much? Would they even give it a second thought?

Part 2B

Comments

• Andrea Hayward

@Shruti Turner @Asli Telli @Soumi Paul @Yufita Chinta @Erin Owens @Lafi Munira @Lidia Lins @Siziphiwe Dani @Adaora Anyichie - Odis @THASNEEM MUSTHAFA @Roberto Spiezio @Justine Whitaker @Shelley O'Connor @Hollie McDonnell @Joyce Tsui @Ben rajesh @Evelyn Ansah @Ayodele Odularu @Jentzen Fong @vicky dariano @Omololu FAGBADEBO

Presenting Part 2 of the video series "Some days are better than others". I hope you like this part as well, and would love to hear your thoughts on some of the experiences shared :)

• Mdumiseni Mazula
    Mdumiseni Mazula Member Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

Hi to everyone yes it's never easy and I believe that someone data are better than others, Mental Illness or mental health I noticed that they are very hardest things to deal with.1 depression, 2 Anxiety are the hardest two things to deal you always feel like to give up or lazy to do anything, it's hard 💔

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you @Andrea Hayward for this incredibly poignant and important series of videos. What a step forward in breaking down the stigma surrounding conversation about our own mental health and destroying the disbelief that it is a weakness to experience mental health concerns.

The biggest impacts of a dip in my mental health are my belief in myself and my ability to do things, combined with a lack of motivation to try anyway because everything takes so much effort, I think what's the point? It's really tough to get out of those spirals, to be honest a part of me fears them. I don't like who I am when I'm in that space, it doesn't feel like me.

I am grateful for the people in my life that don't even know how amazing they are. The tolerance they have of me during the times means the world. The support network is there and of course, I have a great husband who will kindly but firmly encourage me to take steps to help myself. Some days that could be offering to do a yoga session with me, others it's telling me I smell and to go have a shower!

I feel like my bad days are what allow me to have my good days, to reach out to others who may be struggling and lend an empathetic ear. I feel like it helps me to understand the unsaid difficulties that may be going on in others lives in and out of work, but also with the participants I work with during my research who are sharing personal stories.

I think acknowledging our own mental health is a powerful force that makes us stronger.

• Andrea Hayward

@Mdumiseni Mazula thank you for watching the videos and for sharing your thoughts 🙂

I really hope that building awareness through a video series like this one can create more understanding, empathy, and genuine care for those living with mental illness. They are already going through so much and doing the best they can. They deserve all the help and support they can possibly get!