Introducing Myself — R Voice

Introducing Myself

“Hello! Thank you very much for inviting me to be part of this amazing group. I am truly grateful. I am Hazel Monica Matias-Peralta, a faculty member of the College of Fisheries, Central Luzon State University, Science City of Munoz, Nueva Ecija, Philippines. This is the same place where I currently reside (CLSU campus residences).

My work mainly focus on Aquatic Ecology and Biodiversity. In particular, I am working on the biodiversity of plankton in both marine and freshwater ecosystems. I am also working on the bioremediation of wastewaters utilizing freshwater microalgae. In addition, I do independent reviewing for some journals published by Elsevier, Springer, IOPscience and others. Likewise, I am currently serving as an editorial board member of the Asian Fisheries Science and as editor in chief of our university's journal, CLSU-International Journal of Science and Technology.

What I like best about my work is the satisfaction of having contributed and contributing (although modestly) in the best of my ability, to the advancement of science. Apart from research and academic works, I am also a wife and a mother of two lovely children. When I am not at work, the place I love to be most is in the kitchen. According to my children, I am a very good cook 😅😅.

It’s great to be here. And I look forward to getting to know each of you better 😍😍.

Comments

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 513 admin
    edited October 11

Hi @Hazel Monica Peralta. Thank you for the lovely introduction! It's great to have you back on R Voice ☺️

You're doing such great work and you certainly have your hands full! After learning about the kind of work you do, your research area, and what you like best about your work, I'd like to introduce you to @Hong Ching Goh. I feel like you both have a lot in common 😃 I don't think you need any modesty while talking about your work because you're not only contributing to scientific advancement but also impacting the lives of so many people. Scientists are truly modern day superheroes! 🤩

I had no idea that you were affiliated to so many journals and I feel like this community has a ton to learn from you about academic publishing. Personally, I'd love to hear more about how you manage your time effectively and juggle the responsibilities of your many roles.

I'm sure your little ones are spot on about you being a great cook. What kind of dishes are your favorite?

• Hazel Monica Peralta
    Hazel Monica Peralta Member Posts: 3

Thank you very much for your lovely message Andrea. I will communicate with Hong Ching and see how we can find a good idea/topic to start with. I will be glad to lend a helping hand/assistance if anyone would like to know more about academic publishing or manuscript reviewing, or perhaps even to share a guide to managing time when there are too much work at hand.

Well, aside from Filipino dishes, I also learned to cook some Chinese, Italian, Bangladesh, and Indian dishes that my kids love to eat. We stayed in Malaysia for quite sometime before settling back to Philippines so I guess that's where my kids learned to eat other than Filipino dishes 😊.

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 513 admin

That's amazing @Hazel Monica Peralta! And very kind of you to offer 😊

Maybe you can I can chat over DM to explore this further. I'm positive that the community would really appreciate any insights and advice that you could share on manuscript writing/reviewing and getting published. A guide to managing time sounds like a excellent start! We can never have too much help with work-life balance and time management 😅

WOW! So many cuisines. Your little ones are very lucky! 😍 Here's a fun coincidence. I'm a big fan of food blogger Mark Weins and just last night I was watching a video of his trip to Manila and all the food looked so yummy! I am particularly intrigued and really want to try the dish called Bulalo (I hope I'm spelling that correctly).

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 175 admin

Hi @Hazel Monica Peralta - Welcome to R Voice. I feel like I am talking to a very active and busy person with so many interests. I am amazed! Also excited to have you on R Voice. Your area of research sounds very interesting - something that will help us work towards building more sustainable solutions and protect our natural resources and diversity.

It's great to hear that you have research, publishing and reviewing experience. I feel like a lot of R Voicers will benefit from your experience and advice. I see that @Andrea Hayward started a few suggestions already. I a going to throw in another suggestion - how about a short Q&A on manuscript writing, dealing with peer review, or a related topic. I LOVE how passionate you are about contributing to your field and to the advancement of science.

Another foodie! Perhaps we should start a food series - getting everyone to share some of their favorite recipes with others. What a fantastic way to open a window into world cuisines. If at all we have the opportunity to meet up in person, I would love to try out something you make.

• Hazel Monica Peralta
    Hazel Monica Peralta Member Posts: 3

Hello Jaya! Thank you very much for the warm welcome. I am glad that my field of expertise ignited some interest in you. And yes, we have to, all of us actually, should work harder than ever towards sustainability for our natural resources and biodiversity...if not for us, will be for the future generations.

Oh no problem, we can arrange that. Yes, I think a short Q&A will be great to start the ball rolling. Although, we can actually do it anytime...anyone can throw the questions here in the discussion section...anytime. I will make sure that I check the discussions on a daily basis, at least 30mins (to an hour if there are questions which I can answer right away).

Yup and we can also go for some food stuff from time to time to make it more interesting for everyone. Well, thanks again and I will catch up with everyone again soon 😍