Data collection experience in Jan/Feb 2021 as written in our old platform — R Voice

Data collection experience in Jan/Feb 2021 as written in our old platform

Adaora Anyichie - Odis
Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

I feel very happy to have concluded my Thesis data collection and another research for publication. I got data from 3 health facilities. I enjoyed the journey, learnt a lot & interacted with my respondents.

Data collection requires certain skills: your manner of approach is very important. Humility and Perseverance are also needed, having a positive attitude reduces stress especially crossing hurdles like getting ethical approval and permission from the government to collect data from their facilities. Setting a target helps you to be on track. Leadership skills are also required.

There is a difference between using a Google form questionnaire and an interview-based questionnaire. The interaction between the Researcher and Respondent spices up your research.

You also need an intern and gatekeeper to support you while in the field. Data collection is the aspect that makes research expensive and stressful.

I braved going to hospitals to collect data during this COVID - 19 pandemic.

#phdchat #phdjourney #phdstudent #phd #phdforum #phdlife #phdvoice #AcademicTwitter #AcademicChatter #academia #womeninresearch #womeninglobalhealth #womeninstem #AcademicMentalHealth #academicdilemma #academicWriting #research #health #epidemics #vaccination #vaccines #vaccinesafetyadvocate #vaccineresearch #antibiotics #antibioticresistance #texilaamericanuniversity #datacollection

Comments

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 513 admin

Thanks so much for re-sharing this milestone with us @Adaora Anyichie - Odis 😊

For those of you who might not know, Adaora has been with R Voice for a long time...right from the early days on our former platform. It was there that she first shared this experience with us. She bravely visited several hospitals during one of the most stressful and dangerous stages of the COVID-19 pandemic to carry on her impactful work.

@Adaora Anyichie - Odis, are there any learnings that you can share with us from doing in-person interviews with research participants?

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis

Thank you @Andrea Hayward for this question. You have to be very calm, patient and sometimes show concern and care as the case may be. I interviewed mothers and some of them wanted me to give their children gifts...not as a bribe but to keep them busy while they answered my questions. Some participants are also not knowledgeable so I had to devise a way through my Intern who speaks Yoruba to help with interpretation.

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 175 admin

Thanks for sharing this @Adaora Anyichie - Odis I recall feel this when I read your story - It must have been a challenging time for data collection in the field. I admire your courage and persistence. And you're absolutely right:

There is a difference between using a Google form questionnaire and an interview-based questionnaire. The interaction between the Researcher and Respondent spices up your research.

I think this interaction not only spices up research but gives the researcher some much needed perspective as well. I think these interactions help make data collection much more than a task.

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis

Exactly @Jayashree Rajagopalan some respondents gave me additional information which was not even captured in the questionnaire.

• Andrea Hayward

Thanks @Adaora Anyichie - Odis. This paints a more detailed picture :)

I understand what you're saying about showing concern and care as needed when doing in-person interviews for data collection. I come from a background in Psychology and have experienced first-hand how difficult data collection can get if you haven't established an environment of mutual trust and respect with your participants. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to navigate a language barrier while conducting interviews. There's always the fear that you might miss out on certain local nuances and phrases that you might not be familiar with. Glad you had some support for this!

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis

@Andrea Hayward that 'trust' is very important...imagine doing a survey on vaccination when COVID vaccination wasn't yet approved and there was plenty of misinformation on social media.

• Andrea Hayward

@Adaora Anyichie - Odis that is literally the perfect example to explain this! Thank you for all of the hard work you put in and for starting conversations that make us think, here on R Voice ☺️