Mental Health Awareness Week 2021 - How are you doing REALLY? — R Voice

Mental Health Awareness Week 2021 - How are you doing REALLY?

Andrea Hayward
Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 513 admin
edited October 7 in Self-care & Wellbeing

This week is Mental Health Awareness Week across the globe and coming up this weekend on October 10 is World Mental Health Day. Although we have an ongoing open conversation about mental health in academia here on R Voice, I wanted to specifically talk about it this week.

Because of the world we live in, we often feel like we constantly have to have everything together. But that's not true. I'm putting this post out to remind your that we're only human and we're all doing the best we can. Most of us don't get it right on a daily basis and it's okay to admit that. When someone asks us how we're doing, we shouldn't feel forced to respond with "I'm okay or I'm fine" if that's not how we feel.

And that's why I'm starting this thread. To ask you - How are you doing REALLY?

If you're not feeling your best today or you're feeling low, frustrated, or overwhelmed, that's perfectly okay. Better days are around the corner and you'll get through this 🙂

P.S. Please don't feel forced to reply. If all this post has done is make you feel like it's okay for you to not be okay, then that's more than enough for me. Take care everyone!

Tagged:

Comments

• Shruti Turner
    Shruti Turner Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭

Great post, @Andrea Hayward - it's so important to check in with those around us, especially the "strong ones" who seem like they're doing just fine. It feels good to know that there are people out there who may ask how I'm doing and genuinely care about the answer.

I feel like I'm an advocate for mental health, but this year I really just haven't engaged with MH Awareness Week or MH Day. I just didn't find that I had it in me. I think this year, I can't deny that I have been experiencing an MH rollercoaster but I don't know..it almost feels like more than that. I had these feelings that I didn't want to engage because people tweeting/posting on one day a year isn't what is going to make the difference to people's mental health.

Of course, I am pointing no fingers and I know you amongst many others to talk about mental health all year around. It's just the general vibe of my twitter/instagram/facebook. I think that it's because social media is irritating me a bit anyway with its tokenism (or rather people on social media...)

As I write this, I feel like I'm coming across really negative..so let me turn this around from my negative feelings into a call for positive action. Now that MH week/day is over for 2021, let's come together and advocate all year around. One of the reasons that I love R Voice is that it's an open and safe community where things like this are talked about all year around, yes I like the reminder to get people involved once a year but with people who care, we can make a difference all year around!