What lessons did we learn from Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp issues yesterday? — R Voice

What lessons did we learn from Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp issues yesterday?

For my Coursewiki last year September, Texila insisted that our means of communication must be Skype. Some wanted us to also us to have a group WhatsApp.

Now I hope they would understand the preference. I have been using it since IFDC days. It's has been very useful. What lessons did we learn from Facebook, Instagram, and Whatsapp issues yesterday?

#communication #skype

Comments

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 513 admin

@Adaora Anyichie - Odis this is such an interesting question! I was quite taken aback by the global social media outage that we experienced a few days ago. Seemed like something out of a movie plot at first. Fortunately for me, I was around my immediate family and it was the end of my work day, so I wasn't affected too much.

I did end up texting a couple of friends via Twitter and also checked Twitter for news updates on the outage, but I didn't need to convey anything urgent to them. In fact, I quite liked the break from Instagram. I slept much earlier that night and avoided a useless 15-minute scroll that I end up doing otherwise 😅

What was it like for you? Did any of your messages get delayed?

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

@Andrea Hayward, I was busy that day so I didn't notice that those apps were down until I logged into my Linkedin and started seeing updates related to the issue. I slept early that day since I can't Tweet in Nigeria and no Facebook, Whatsapp, and Instagram.

• Andrea Hayward

Interesting @Adaora Anyichie - Odis! Even I noticed the outage quite late. I can't help but wonder if our responses to their situation would be much different in a pre-pandemic world. What do you think?

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

@Andrea Hayward it would be the same because social media has taken over in our generation.

• Andrea Hayward

@Adaora Anyichie - Odis yes I think so too. If we weren't largely in a WFH situation, I feel like it would've been worse. Personally, if I wasn't at home surrounded by family, they would've been quite worried about my whereabouts for a while, especially if they couldn't reach me via phone call. But this is a genuine issue.

I saw a lot of folks upset the next day because their posts/videos didn't get too many likes because of the outage and I really don't understand that 😅