Officially a Doctor! — R Voice

Officially a Doctor!

Shruti Turner
Shruti Turner Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭

It's been a busy month or so for me, so much so that I've barely been posting and engaging on R Voice which is a shame. I'm making the effort to get back on here, as I love the whole community and its positivity. So, in that spirit I'm starting off with a celebratory post!!

As of Friday 1st October, I received official conferral of my PhD award..so now I am officially a Doctor! It feels like perfect closure after such a turbulent time and I've written about it in a blog (along with the rest of my PhD journey)

It's been an exciting time, if only now I am a Doctor, what else have I been doing?! Well, I managed to have 2 papers accepted within a week and I've been writing a couple more which are close to submission ready. There is always writing to do, even if it's not a thesis. I have to say...it's much better when it's not the thesis!!

This is a message to anyone struggling through PhDing over the past couple of years with general PhD uncertainties AND a global pandemic thrown on top...it is possible to get through and you will make it through if that is what you choose. You've got this.

Comments

• chris leonard
    chris leonard Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 138 admin

Congrats Dr Turner - so pleased for you!

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 175 admin

Congratulations, Dr. @Shruti Turner. Thanks for sharing this milestone with us. Good hear that you're getting those papers out too. Looks like good forward-looking strides in your career. 🙂 LOVE the message at the end - things may be rough or may get rough, but it is possible to get through. I think that can help us anywhere but most of all in and through academia.

• WoW!!! That's awesome!!! Congratulations Dr. Turner!!!

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 513 admin
    edited October 6

Woohooo! The day has finally come... Congratulations Dr. @Shruti Turner 🤩🙌

Can I please be the person who steps in with a "Ahem. That's DOCTOR Shruti Turner. Please get it right" every time someone forgets to address you properly? It'd be so much fun! 😄

Thank you for sharing the lovely write-up, the encouraging message and for allowing us to tag along on your journey. It's been fantastic! Sending you lots of long-distance hugs 🤗

• Shruti Turner

Thank you, @chris leonard , @Jayashree Rajagopalan , @Juan Carlos Torres-Galván and @Andrea Hayward - I can't tell you how much your wishes mean to me.

Thank you @Jayashree Rajagopalan for encouraging me to share my milestone and celebrate it when I was too nervous to. I agree, we should be better at sharing our own achievements and celebrating together. I'll work on that more, as I encourage others to do it! I think there is power in seeing other people's success, sometimes it can be discouraging for sure, but I think it can also be so encouraging to see what is possible in a relatable way. Hopefully, the papers will keep coming..they feel very elusive!

@Andrea Hayward, I wish I could <3 and lol your message at the same time!! You are more than welcome to be that person. 😂 We'd have great fun. As long as I'm not on an aeroplane..I don't think I want that kind of attention haha I'm touched that you read my blog, thank you, along with the others who have. Sending hugs right back!

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163 admin

Wow! Heartiest congratulations Dr. @Shruti Turner! Finally all those years of hard work have paid off! The PhD journey is anyways a bumpy road, and the pandemic made it even harder. Kudos to you for making it to the end of the tunnel and sharing your journey with us. And congratulations on the papers too! 😃

• Shruti Turner

Thank you @Kakoli Majumder - I appreciate your suppport so much. It feels like everything is coming together!

• Erin Owens
    Erin Owens Member Posts: 18 ✭✭✭

Congratulations, Dr. @Shruti Turner ! What a fantastic accomplishment 🤩

• Shruti Turner

Thank you, @Erin Owens ! It feels great to be able to draw a line under the PhD and research because I love it and not to write a thesis..