Who Am I? Who Are You? — R Voice

Who Am I? Who Are You?

Shruti Turner
Shruti Turner Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭

Hello! My name is Shruti

I am a Post Doc Researcher

I currently live in London, England (but only for another couple of months until I move to Edinburgh, Scotland!) 

My research area is prosthetics for people with amputations, specifically the fit of the socket

What I like best about my work is that it has the potential to have a genuine real-world impact and improve the quality of life of people with amputations. It's what drives what I do. I don't want my work to be relevant to only people who have large sums of money or just stuck in the world of academia. I want it out there and that's what I strive for.

When I’m not working, I like to try and keep fit and active, but this is a slow and cyclical process as my body likes to go rogue every so often. When I can, I like to travel and discover new things (mainly food!) and cultures but also do it in a way that cares for the planet, so minimise flying for a start! At the moment I'm also making plans for the new house/garden which is exciting too (much more than packing...)

It’s great to be here (even though recently I've been a bit more absent, I'll get better!) And I look forward to getting to know each of you better 😊

Comments

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 513 admin

@Shruti Turner reading this made me feel like coming across something written by an old friend. I guess we've been talking and sharing for quite some time now 😊

What you like best about your work is just one of many things I love about you. And I feel like anyone who's ever had a conversation with you will agree that you passion for doing work that helps people and has a real impact on their lives always shines through ❤️

You're moving! Now this is news to me. Hopefully packing is not being too much of a pain and everything goes ahead smoothly. I'll patiently wait for pictures of the new garden 😃

• Shruti Turner

Ah, I think we can totally be classed as "old friends" by now?! Even if virtual friends. I am determined that one day, we shall meet in person.

Thank you so much - your words mean so much to me. Sometimes I am told I am too naive/idealistic with what I want to do, and that I'm "limiting my options" but I just can't help it. I don't think I'd be happy if I wasn't working towards some form of common good, whether that is staying in this research area or branching out elsewhere! You have given me a nice motivation and reassurance that it's okay to be this way! ❤️

I'm glad I can still surprise you, even if occasionally, @Andrea Hayward ! We are moving in just over a month and it feels like there's so much to do. It'll be worth it in the end. The garden is A MESS. It is super overgrown we have no idea what's there. Maybe I'll have to share transformation pictures?!

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 513 admin

@Shruti Turner YESS! I really hope we can meet in person some day! Maybe if we say it often enough, it might just happen one day? 😅

I'm glad I could offer you some motivation and reassurance. I don't think at all that you're being too idealistic. If anything, your stance on this is inspiring and I feel comforted to know that folks like you who want to do good in the world still exist. And the I feel motivated to do the same and make an impact in my own small way. So I should be thanking you! 🤗

Before-after garden pictures are a must! I know with so much to do, especially strenuous physical work, it can be easy to forget to look after yourself. So please remember to take care of yourself and do only as much as your body will allow. Almost forgot...moving is a milestone and a new journey - Congratulations!

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 175 admin

Hi @Shruti Turner ! It's nice to meet you 🤗 Even though this might be the umpteenth time we are speaking, I confess I learn something new about you each time. Your passion for your work shines through...almost like a purpose and that's very inspiring. It's great, and even better than great, to have you here on R Voice. We have missed your conversations lately, especially the deep-thought posts. I guess we'll see more of you after you've moved and settled into your new home.

Edinburgh is my partner's most favorite place in the world. He visited it for work once and fell in love with Scotland. He keeps getting wistful about it and wishing he could visit or just go back there. Perhaps THAT's where we'll meet and check that long-pending in-person meet off our lists. Good luck with the move - it's stressful but also so positive at the same time. The process of investing all of your thoughts into a new space is amazing. Enjoy it!

• Shruti Turner

Thank you! I do hope that there are more people with this way of thinking. I love to meet people who have a passion that we can see and share in.

I definitely need that reminder to look after myself, @Andrea Hayward - you know me too well! I will be sure to take it easy, else how will I be able to enjoy the garden if it ever gets done?!?! Even if that is just one perk of looking after myself 😂

• Shruti Turner

Hi @Jayashree Rajagopalan ! I am glad that I am not entirely predictable just yet. A new introduction to old friends is always a delight. It's good to meet you :)

I am so touched by your words and overwhelmed by the love and support I feel being part of R Voice. My absence on here has been more due to workload than moving. Really, I must accept that it is entirely my fault that I have not made adequate time to be here. Something, I am trying to get back to because I enjoy being here and feel it is important to have an ongoing presence for all those who make the time to be here.

OOH - that's lovely. I feel like we have another connection. YES you are welcome to come to Scotland, a great place for our union. When we have furniture, you are more than welcome to stay! (Even before we have furniture but it may not be comfortable....)