Acceptable level of plagiarism? — R Voice

Acceptable level of plagiarism?

chris leonard
chris leonard Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 138 admin

I seem to have provoked some discussion on twitter about 'acceptable plagiarism'. You can read the thread in full here:

Regardless of this particular case, do you agree that there are instances where it is acceptable to have plagiarised text in your manuscript?

Tagged:

Comments

• Mdumiseni Mazula
    Mdumiseni Mazula Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

Know honestly I don't think so, I mean why from the first place, it must be plagiarised instead of being accepted 🤷‍♀️🙇‍♂️👩‍💻

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis
    Adaora Anyichie - Odis Member Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Twitter has been banned in Nigeria, however, plagiarism isn't accepted by Texila.

• chris leonard
    chris leonard Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 138 admin

I didn't know Twitter was banned in Nigeria. Is this a recent thing?

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis

It's been over 3 months. Some Nigerians use VPN to access Twitter but many of us don't bother since the #TwitterbaninNigeria

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163 admin
    edited October 7

Wow! Didn't know Twitter was banned in Nigeria! @Adaora Anyichie - Odis Did anything in particular lead up to the ban?

@chris leonard While I agree intentional plagiarism is unethical, I feel that in some sections of the manuscript, for instance, the Methods section, or even the literature review sometimes, it may be difficult especially for non-English speaking authors, to paraphrase everything in their own words. Of course, citing the source is important, but sometimes rephrasing word for word can be a futile exercise, particularly, if the author has used the same method in two papers, as you have so correctly pointed out. While I am not in favor of accepting plagiarized content, I feel that the decision should not be made based solely upon the percentage of similarity. I strongly feel that this should be decided on a case-by-case basis depending on which section of the manuscript includes the "plagiarized" content.

• Adaora Anyichie - Odis

@Kakoli Majumder it is political. The generation Z in Nigeria were getting a lot of attention from all over the world. Last year October the #Endsars protest was all over Twitter.