Getting to know who we are! — R Voice

Getting to know who we are!

Hi everyone, I am Hong Ching GOH, I am a faculty member at the Department of Urban and Regional Planning, Faculty of Built Environment, Universiti Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, a city where I currently live.

My research areas include natural resource governance, tourism planning especially in natural areas, sustainable cities and communities, and the cross-cutting themes centered on development and conservation which are interdisciplinary in nature https://umexpert.um.edu.my/gohhc.html.

What I love about my work is that I am able to interact with the communities to create real impacts yet at the same time, contributing to the scientific communities and bridging the gap between the high level decision makers with the needs at the local level.

When I am not working (this is quite difficult to define), as one of my hobbies is writing scientific papers. mmm may be I would put as I love practicing reiki, walking as Zen practice, reading spiritual books and also copying Buddhism sutra pieces. Gardening and feeding the furies are also my routine for leisure.

Comments

• vicky dariano
    vicky dariano Member Posts: 9

Hello, I am Maria Victoria Dariano. I am a researcher at the Philippine Military Academy. I am interested in econometrics, modelling, forecasting, and psychology. I am greatly looking forward to growing in this research community.

If you wish to learn about my works, just search my name in Google Scholar.

• Andrea Hayward
    Andrea Hayward Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 513 admin

Hi @vicky dariano. I just replied to your other post here on R Voice. Thank you for the introduction :)

If you don't mind and it's not too much trouble, could you please add your introduction as a "New Post"? The introductions you see are part of a Virtual Meet & Greet we're hosting this month and I really don't want your introduction to be missed because it's buried in the comments. Especially because you're new here, I think it would be wonderful for as many folks as possible to meet you 🙂

• Andrea Hayward
    edited October 1

It's always lovely to see your name pop-up in my notifications @Hong Ching Goh. Thank you so much for such a detailed introduction. It's made me feel like I'm catching up with an old friend after a long time 🙂

I feel like your research areas have expanded since we last talked about it (please correct me if I'm wrong), and they all sound very interesting! "Tourism planning in natural areas" particularly piqued my interest. Does this by any chance involve facilitating tourism in protected areas like national parks such that it's safe for both the travelers as well as the environment? I'd love to learn more!

I love that your work gives you a chance to not only make scientific contributions but also have real life impact when it comes to advising policy. This must feel very fulfilling ❤️

Glad you're still able to keep up with your love for gardening and spending time with animals. We've discussed this at length in the past and I know that you love making sure that the strays around where you live are well cared for whenever you have the time. My mind is blown by the fact that one of your hobbies is writing scientific papers. I'm curious - does it get difficult to balance work and other aspects of life because of this overlap? Or rather, is it sometimes challenging to mentally disconnect from work?

• Yufita Chinta
    Yufita Chinta Member Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭

aha! I find your introduction @Hong Ching Goh after your calm response on my response about understanding the reasons of being angry. Now I know that you are a calm person --> you practice reiki and zen, two things I can't follow because always felt asleep during the practice 🤣

Natural areas, interesting. Unlike @Andrea Hayward , I imagine a concept to bring nature everywhere, including to the middle of big cities. E.g., garden on the top of building or banana trees inside a café 😁 Is it?

• Andrea Hayward

@Yufita Chinta I love how you're visualizing the natural areas that @Hong Ching Goh is talking about. Far more interesting than how I understood it. Now I'm ever more curious and waiting to hear what Hong Ching says and which of these explanations is closer to the actual thing 😃

• Hong Ching Goh
    Hong Ching Goh Member Posts: 36 ✭✭

also about urban greening, but again, it is a research area which is being contested, how urban nature can be created when nature has been destroyed at the first place and replaced with concreted buildings and infrastructure. or perhaps we are trying to be happy with the 2nd optimized choice we have. Yet, many cities now attempt to preserve nature areas at the city fringe, to ensure that green lung for the entire city.

I also practice walking zen, eating zen. Also u can practice Kundalini yoga or the active meditation as introduced by Osho.

• Hong Ching Goh

urban nature and urban greening as well as urban forestry are the way forward. there is also a trendy IGGI (integrated greening of grey infrastructure) and I think COP26 which will take place already soon in UK will focus on nature based solutions (e.g. mangrove) for climate crisis we are facing today.

• chris leonard
    chris leonard Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 138 admin

>>I think COP26 which will take place already soon in UK will focus on nature based solutions (e.g. mangrove) for climate crisis we are facing today

We're unlikely to have many mangroves in the UK though 🤣

But in all seriousness, it sounds like an awesome area of study and one with immediate visible effects - which improve wellbeing and the environment. I bet the psychology of greening grey areas is interesting too.

• Andrea Hayward

@Hong Ching Goh this is very interesting. The irony of people cutting down naturally existing forests only to "create" patches of urban nature later on is not lost on me :/

But I do agree that several cities are working hard towards preserving and maintaining the nature that they do have left. In my own city of Mumbai, we have a fairly large national park located towards the suburbs. While lay people like myself are allowed inside (up to a certain limit), it's made very clear that we are guests there and we're not to disturb the resident wildlife and indigenous inhabitants. I feel proud that one of the people maintaining these conditions is a dear friend of mine. She helps me stay aware and informed 🙂

• Kakoli Majumder
    Kakoli Majumder Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163 admin

Thank you @Hong Ching Goh for introducing yourself so beautifully! As @Yufita Chinta has aptly mentioned, just reading your post had such a calming effect on me! :D It was almost as if I could visualize so much greenery and peace and quiet! Thank you for making me feel relaxed in the middle of an otherwise hectic day! I'm so impressed to learn that academic writing is one of your hobbies - it must be so satisfying to be loving every aspect of your work!

• Hong Ching Goh

Home office haha

• Andrea Hayward

WOW @Hong Ching Goh! Thanks for sharing this beautiful picture of your home office 😍

I don't think anyone on this thread will be surprised to that you're surrounded by greenery. These must be difficult to maintain but I'm sure it's worth it and feels fulfilling :)

• Hong Ching Goh

Super true but one good thing is that these are the easily maintained indoor plants! and when we enjoy doing it, we wont find it difficult!

• Andrea Hayward

Spot on @Hong Ching Goh! I was wondering, do you have any furry friends living with you at the moment? I imagine that they'd all be curious about the houseplants and might even dig up some of the pots? My cat thoroughly enjoys doing this and then leaves muddy paw prints all over the house lol 😅

• Hong Ching Goh

no furry at home, since I am living on the 12th floor, and I believe that the furries need to roam around and if i take them with me, I am actually taking away their basic rights for my pleasure. I might have too critical view on this but I cant get over it so I better deal with it.

• Jayashree Rajagopalan
    Jayashree Rajagopalan Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 175 admin

@Hong Ching Goh Please invite me home? I am also happy to house sit for you. I love plants and gardening. It's true - if you really like it, it doesn't seem like an effort. Loved reading this thread. There's a lot of wisdom in what you're saying. I clearly recall @Isurika Sevwandi and you had a slight overlap in areas of interest. I used to volunteer for an organization that focuses on nature conservation through education - so informative trails through green patches in urban areas was a regular feature of this. It was always amazing to see people's reactions when they were taught to identify the small marvels of nature in urban jungles. And I get what you mean about the debate around urban greening. I am often reminded of this meme which said, "Everyone wants to park their cars in shade but no one wants to plant a tree."

• Isurika Sevwandi
    Isurika Sevwandi Member Posts: 55 ✭✭✭

Of course @Jayashree Rajagopalan and @Hong Ching Goh we had similar interests in our research areas and love towards making greenery possible in cities. Green urban planning is an area that I am truly passionate in and I was absolutely fascinated by seeing her office like a dedicated spot to remind greenery while "working". It's fantastic.